Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Sam Flynn 18 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Sam Flynn 20 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by John Wheat 23 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Sam Flynn 34 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Sam Flynn 35 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Sam Flynn 38 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (57 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (37 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (32 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - (4 posts)
General Discussion: A broken down masher - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 04:47 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
That two serial killers were operating at the same time is a reasonable belief.
It is my belief.
What proof exists that I am wrong?
Sure. And there is no proof. Only belief.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2018, 05:02 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Yup, it only works the other way around
Yes, it works the other way around.

Similarities will not become umimportant on account of dissimilarities, unless these dissimilarities conclusively prove that the similarities are only coincidental.

Dissimilarities will become unimportant if they can be explained and if there are similarities that tell us that the perceived dissimilarities are of no real importance.

So there is a difference. Which is what I have been banging on about for weeks. And which any person with a minimum of insight into these things will acknowledge.

When you can show me that the dissimilaritites of these cases rule out the importance of the similarities instead of going on about how it MAY have been like this and it MAY have been like that, you have a case.

Until that happens, you don´t.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:05 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
That there was even two serial killers, forget all the other similarities, operating at the same time and place, at that period of time should give one pause.
Yes! That is perfectly true. Whenever many people are killed in a flurry, the more logical standpoint is always going to be that the source is the same.

This may be wrong - and has been wrong in a number of cases - but it is nevertheless the expected thing.

And then, if there are similarities inbetween the deeds, the scales tip over very much.

In the Ripper/Torso cases, specifically in the Chapman-Kelly-Jackson case, they will not get back up again.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:07 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Even when the dissimilarities are objective facts, and the "similarities" are subjective and/or exaggerated, it seems.
So your "truth" about the "strips" is not a subjective or exaggerated one...?

Never throw stones in glass houses, Gareth. It will make the whole structure come tumbling down.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:09 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
That two serial killers were operating at the same time is a reasonable belief.
It is my belief.
What proof exists that I am wrong?
The only proof there is says that you are less likely to be right. Statistically, you are smoked. Your belief is based on more of personal musings and less on reality.

Otherwise, you´re fine.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:31 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
The only proof there is says that you are less likely to be right. Statistically, you are smoked.
Which reminds me: Have you found any figures on how many dismemberment cases there were in the 218 years to which you refer?

I say "how many cases there were", when perhaps I should say "how many cases were reported, happen to be available on the Internet and/or found their way into books"... because isn't that what we're really talking about?

Any true figure is likely to be rather higher, whether we're talking about dismemberment or evisceration, unless - with regard to the latter - your figure of "2 per 218 years" came from a 100% accurate source. What was your source for this datum, by the way? Forgive me if you've already referenced it.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 04-20-2018, 06:18 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Yes, it works the other way around.

Similarities will not become umimportant on account of dissimilarities, unless these dissimilarities conclusively prove that the similarities are only coincidental.

Dissimilarities will become unimportant if they can be explained and if there are similarities that tell us that the perceived dissimilarities are of no real importance.

So there is a difference. Which is what I have been banging on about for weeks. And which any person with a minimum of insight into these things will acknowledge.

When you can show me that the dissimilaritites of these cases rule out the importance of the similarities instead of going on about how it MAY have been like this and it MAY have been like that, you have a case.

Until that happens, you don´t.
Well at least you dont resort to being insulting! Thanks for that

You say ‘may’ this and ‘may’ that but your attempts at an explaination for the dissimilarities are full of such hypotheses. Coming up with a ‘possible’ scenario works both ways no matter what the likelihood based on the history of murder.
What if, for example, the murderer of Elizabeth Jackson killed her in a drunken rage. What if he was a butcher or a slaughterman and so was used to blood and gore. What if he decided to do some ripper-type mutilations so that if/when the body was eventually found it might have been marked down as a ripper murder and away from him?

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old 04-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Well at least you dont resort to being insulting! Thanks for that

You say ‘may’ this and ‘may’ that but your attempts at an explaination for the dissimilarities are full of such hypotheses. Coming up with a ‘possible’ scenario works both ways no matter what the likelihood based on the history of murder.
What if, for example, the murderer of Elizabeth Jackson killed her in a drunken rage. What if he was a butcher or a slaughterman and so was used to blood and gore. What if he decided to do some ripper-type mutilations so that if/when the body was eventually found it might have been marked down as a ripper murder and away from him?
Hi hs

Of course it’s possible. But I have never heard of a killer trying to make a crime look like another killers work. It’s the stuff of hollywood.

Yes killers stage things so the motive may appear different. But this copy cat idea is mainly fiction. I’ve seen it brought up for victims like McKenzie or pinchin to explain the similarities with the ripper but it’s basically non existent happening.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 04-20-2018, 01:04 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Hi hs

Of course it’s possible. But I have never heard of a killer trying to make a crime look like another killers work. It’s the stuff of hollywood.

Yes killers stage things so the motive may appear different. But this copy cat idea is mainly fiction. I’ve seen it brought up for victims like McKenzie or pinchin to explain the similarities with the ripper but it’s basically non existent happening.
Hi Abby,

I know that this is one of the things about me that irritates people(mainly Fish) but the idea of something not occurring in the same way before bothers me very little. Why should it? Things happen for the first time (or the first recorded time.)

I cant help looking at the whole thing from a different viewpoint to Fish. The Torso Murders to me are glaringly different to the ripper murders despite any possible similarities in knife-work. The dissimilarities are more numerate than the similarities. To the observer the ripper series show an obvious connection. No amount of appeals to the history of crime or apparent obsessions with ‘flaps’ (such a vague word) will change this.

I guess ill just have to wait until Fish reveals his link between Lechmere and the Torso’s.

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old 04-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Chief Inspector

Fisherman,
Statistics has very little evidential bearing on the crimes.It has even less of an impact in your claim of beyond reasonable doubt,Along with similarities,unlikely duplication,and now statistics,you are scraping the bottom of the barrel.If I am smoked,you are in cinders.
Abby.
And when is belief classed as beyond reasonable doubt? Show me where one killer belief,is greater than a belief in two.Belief equals belief,no more no less.W ould be better if you or Fisherman answered my questions on beyond reasonable doubt.I'll ask again.What element is associated with it?
Closed Thread