Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by Herlock Sholmes 5 hours ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by Elamarna 5 hours ago.
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - by Herlock Sholmes 5 hours ago.
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - by Elamarna 6 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by Abby Normal 7 hours ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by Fisherman 8 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - (17 posts)
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (8 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (7 posts)
Rippercast: Oh, Dear Boss: The Ripper Had All The Luck - (3 posts)
General Discussion: Mug Shots from 1908-1911 - (2 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 02-25-2018, 04:41 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectorDave View Post
Every script writer I know is closer to an alcoholic than an accountant, actors are even worse.

Mike was either a great writer being able to fool people (not me) into thinking these Scribblings of a scouser has some age to them or he was a great actor being able to look "aged, visibly".

Of course the stroke could have been an act, we all know how cunning these drunks can be, but if Mike was faking the stroke then there is only one reasonable reason for doing so...to make himself look less competent than he was.

The idea that alcohol, or any drug for that matter is an inhibitor to creativity may have some validity if it wasn't for the slews of creative outpourings by drunks, junkies and dope heads.

And even after all that we are saying Alcohol prevented Mike Barrett producing the Journal but Arsenic enabled Maybrick to produce it?

A bit of cognitive dissonance going on here I think.
I don't think Maybrick wrote The Diary. I believe it to be a modern forgery. What is the evidence that Mike had any creative skills whatsover? You may want to consider the fact that just sbout everyone who met the bloke considers him completely incapable of creating The Diary.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:50 AM
Superintendent

Quote:

And even after all that we are saying Alcohol prevented Mike Barrett producing the Journal but Arsenic enabled Maybrick to produce it?

A bit of cognitive dissonance going on here I think.
That's a very good point Dave.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:12 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
What is the evidence that Mike had any creative skills whatsover?
Well if you don't believe Mike's affidavit of 5 January 1995, what else is that affidavit but evidence of creative writing skills?

Quote:
You may want to consider the fact that just sbout everyone who met the bloke considers him completely incapable of creating The Diary.
Why would anyone want to consider this? How do you meet someone and judge their creative writing skills? Wouldn't a person who has corresponded with someone be in a better position to judge their writing skills?

And can you list who the people who have met him and who have said that Mike was "completely incapable" of creating The Diary?

In particular, is there a single such person who has EVER said that Mike and Anne were jointly incapable of creating The Diary?
Old 02-25-2018, 05:12 AM
Detective

Quote:
I don't think Maybrick wrote The Diary. I believe it to be a modern forgery. What is the evidence that Mike had any creative skills whatsover? You may want to consider the fact that just sbout everyone who met the bloke considers him completely incapable of creating The Diary.
That's the point "just about everyone" meaning everyone except one person from the field of Ripperology met him after the stroke, meaning their anecdotal diagnosis of Mike's competency is surely meaningless.

How every con works is that the mark thinks the conman is incapable of deceiving them.

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:23 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
I don't think Maybrick wrote The Diary. I believe it to be a modern forgery. What is the evidence that Mike had any creativity whatsover? You may want to consider the fact that just sbout everyone who met the bloke considered him incapable of creating The Diary

As Dave said how many of those people met him before the diary emerged? Chris Jones on the other thread even went so far as to say his apparent "thickness" could well have been an act to decieve. The man was a Walter Mitty character. In a recent post I gave an account of a man I once knew whose stories would make Walter Mitty blush. During the day he swept the streets, at night, in the bar, he became a master story teller. I remember a lot of those stories, unfortunately Mr Mitty, and later Billy Liar, have scuppered my chances of a best Seller.

It also appears John (in this forum at least) that you and Mr Canter are in a minority of two as regards to the Diary being an accomplished work of fiction. Yes for all you Maybrick devotees, it is a work of fiction. Well all three of you, apparently there are three, perhaps only one

Last edited by Observer : 02-25-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:33 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Wasn't Anne's story that she gave the diary to Mike (via Tony) so that he could turn it into a novel? This seems to show that his wife believed him capable of creative writing, or if her story was false, that she believed others would think him capable.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:42 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Wasn't Anne's story that she gave the diary to Mike (via Tony) so that he could turn it into a novel? This seems to show that his wife believed him capable of creative writing, or if her story was false, that she believed others would think him capable.
"I thought of giving him the diary then so that he could use it as the basis of a book. I was hoping he would write a fictional story about the Diary."

Anne Graham, 31 July 1994
Old 02-25-2018, 05:42 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
As Dave said how many of those people met him before the diary emerged? Chris Jones on the other thread even went so far as to say his apparent "thickness" could well have been an act to decieve. The man was a Walter Mitty character. In a recent post I gave an account of a man I once knew whose stories would make Walter Mitty blush. During the day he swept the streets, at night, in the bar, he became a master story teller. I remember a lot of those stories, unfortunately Mr Mitty, and later Billy Liar, have scuppered my chances of a best Seller.

It also appears John (in this forum at least) that you and Mr Canter are in a minority of two as regards to the Diary being an accomplished work of fiction. Yes for all you Maybrick devotees, it is a work of fiction. Well all three of you, apparently there are three, perhaps only one
I actually consider it an advantage to be in agreement with a highly respected professor of criminology. And whilst accepting that everyone's entitled to their own view, I personally don't agree with the current trend towards anti-intellectualism, as exemplified by those who all to easily dismiss the opinion of experts, such as criminologists and forensic scientists, in favour of their own laypersons opinion.

I don't know how many times I need to spell this out: I believe The Diary to be a modern hoax. I dont think it was authored by Maybrick. I don't think it was discovered at Battlecrease.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:49 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Frankly, I would be cautious about accepting anything Anne may have said regarding The Diary, especially the story about giving it to Mike, via a third party, in the hope he would turn it into a novel, in the hope that it would help improve his self esteem!

Of course, Anne also stated that she had to tidy up his teenage magazine celebrity articles. Hardly sounds like she had that much confidence in his literary abilities!

Last edited by John G : 02-25-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:51 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
That's the point "just about everyone" meaning everyone except one person from the field of Ripperology met him after the stroke, meaning their anecdotal diagnosis of Mike's competency is surely meaningless.

How every con works is that the mark thinks the conman is incapable of deceiving them.
But do any of those people say that he demonstrated any signs of recovering from a stroke when they spoke to him?