Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by John Wheat 2 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Do you think it will be solved? - by Herlock Sholmes 36 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by Herlock Sholmes 41 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Busy Beaver 52 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Varqm 1 hour and 11 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 22 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (33 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (29 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (28 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (6 posts)
General Discussion: Do you think it will be solved? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Goulston Street Graffito

Old 02-22-2018, 04:53 AM
Constable

Default Letter dated 14th October 1896.

"Dear Boss, you will be surprised to find that this comes from yours as of old Jack the Ripper. Ha Ha. If my old friend Mr. Warren is dead you can read it. You might remember me if you try and think a little. Ha Ha ..."
...."The Jewes are people that are blamed for nothing." Ha Ha. have you heard this before." It was signed 'yours truly. Jack the Ripper."

I haven't seen a copy of the letter just the transcript - does it still exist, anywhere? Anyway, it is peculiar that the author used the same, more rare, and discredited spelling of jewes. Almost as if the writer wanted to reiterate a point - Jews would seem the obvious choice.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmebill View Post
"Dear Boss, you will be surprised to find that this comes from yours as of old Jack the Ripper. Ha Ha. If my old friend Mr. Warren is dead you can read it. You might remember me if you try and think a little. Ha Ha ..."
...."The Jewes are people that are blamed for nothing." Ha Ha. have you heard this before." It was signed 'yours truly. Jack the Ripper."

I haven't seen a copy of the letter just the transcript - does it still exist, anywhere? Anyway, it is peculiar that the author used the same, more rare, and discredited spelling of jewes. Almost as if the writer wanted to reiterate a point - Jews would seem the obvious choice.
Not if they were familiar with the reports of the GSG.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:37 PM
Constable

More likely, if using old newspaper reports, to write jews or juwes if he were trying to establish a convincing connection - not use the least 'popular' word.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Commisioner

Quote:

I don't think it does. I own Letters from Hell and I just tied to check but cant find it. grrrr

ive always thought that this letter could be from the same writer as Dear Boss.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 PM
Cadet

Quote:

Hi
A colour facsimile of the 14 October 1896 letter appears on p.195 Ch.17 Letters from Hell, Evans & Skinner 2001 hardback edition.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:20 AM
Detective

Morning all. Just passing this along from Keith

TO Callmebill

The original 14th October 1896 letter can be seen at The National Archives under MEPO 3/142 ff. 234-5.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes
Keith Skinner
Old 02-23-2018, 04:53 AM
Commisioner

Thanks Keith and phantom

I’ve got to find my letters from hell!

I’ve always been intrigued by this one. Most of the letters are obvious and poor copycats but this one stands out. As it did for the police at the time also.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 02-24-2018, 03:09 AM
Detective

TO ABBY NORMAL

Thanks Abby. Hope you find your copy of Letters From Hell.

It is an intriguing letter, especially Chief Inspector Henry Moore’s lengthy and detailed internal report about it dated October 18th 1896. Comparisons are made with the September 25th 1888 letter and the post-card, post-marked October 1st 1888. References are also made to the writing on the wall at Goulston Street which, in Moore’s opinion, was written “undoubtedly by the murderer.” Moore concludes that, in his opinion, the handwritings are not the same.

Supt Swanson countersigns Moore’s report agreeing with Moore’s conclusion. Yet, after 1910, both, Anderson and Swanson both wrote that the original ‘Jack the Ripper letter’ was the work of a journalist whom they could identify. So I wonder if, in October 1896, Swanson was aware of the identity of the journalist but for some reason chose not to share this information with other Scotland Yard officers?

Best Wishes
KS
Old 02-24-2018, 05:37 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_J View Post
TO ABBY NORMAL

Thanks Abby. Hope you find your copy of Letters From Hell.

It is an intriguing letter, especially Chief Inspector Henry Moore’s lengthy and detailed internal report about it dated October 18th 1896. Comparisons are made with the September 25th 1888 letter and the post-card, post-marked October 1st 1888. References are also made to the writing on the wall at Goulston Street which, in Moore’s opinion, was written “undoubtedly by the murderer.” Moore concludes that, in his opinion, the handwritings are not the same.

Supt Swanson countersigns Moore’s report agreeing with Moore’s conclusion. Yet, after 1910, both, Anderson and Swanson both wrote that the original ‘Jack the Ripper letter’ was the work of a journalist whom they could identify. So I wonder if, in October 1896, Swanson was aware of the identity of the journalist but for some reason chose not to share this information with other Scotland Yard officers?

Best Wishes
KS
Hi Keith
So happy to see you on another thread besides the diary! : )
Yes. It is interesting. And IMHO Anderson and Swanson had no clue who the ripper or the journalist was in 1896 or later and this exemplifies that their suspects for both was mainly wishful thinking.

I also find it highly interesting this writer references the gsg and also spells Jews wrong. I mean who is going to remember that eight years later?

I lean towards it being the same writer as dear boss and Saucy jack and that it was in fact from Jack the Ripper.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 02-24-2018, 09:25 AM
Detective

TO ABBY NORMAL

“There are more threads in Heaven and Earth, Abby, than are dreamt of in the Diary.”

Your observation about the GSG and spelling of the word Jews is exactly the point hit on by Moore as well – whose own preferred suspect, by the time he retired in 1913, was a “mad foreign sailor.” In the same year (1913), Littlechild is writing to Sims telling him that the most likely suspect was Tumblety and the following year, (1914), out comes Macnaghten with his autobiography heavily pointing the finger at Druitt, although not naming him as he had done in his 1894 memoranda.

I’ve never really gone away from Druitt and – like everybody else – would dearly love to know what Managhten’s “private info.” about him was!

Best Wishes
Keith