Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Discussion: The Weapon - by Damaso Marte 22 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 1 hour and 7 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 2 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 2 hours ago.
General Discussion: The Weapon - by Herlock Sholmes 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Varqm 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (11 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (3 posts)
General Discussion: The Weapon - (3 posts)
Ripper Notes: Status of Ripper Notes? - (2 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 02-20-2018, 05:01 AM
Assistant Commissioner

It's the best part of 30 years since I visited Dorney, and I'm aware that in that period a lot has changed around that area, particularly with regard to an expansion of rowing facilities nearby. To get my bearings, I'd need to visit again, but as my mobility isn't what it was I'm not sure if this would be feasible. But you never know. In the meantime I'll have a look on Google as you suggest.

According to Foot, Mrs Climo, who lived nearby, said she was 'fed up' with the number of courting couples who used the field, to the extent that she got her husband to erect a gate across one of the entrances, and I always assumed this must have been the entrance closest to her house, which again I assumed was one of the cottages. I do recall a gate across one of the entrances when I visited, but I can't remember if that entrance was close to the cottages or further along down Marsh Lane.

Graham
Old 02-20-2018, 05:55 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
It would seem that the entrance to the field was somewhere between No 3 and No 5 Marsh Lane.
In which case it was what is now the water company entrance, so Steve was wrong and Graham should collect his prize.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:13 AM
Detective

Not that Gregsten and Valerie Storie could really be described as a ‘courting couple.’ In fact, I think they had actually lived together briefly at one point. As a general observation, women generally look for some kind of progress in an intimate relationship; fumbling around in the back seat of a Morris Minor is hardly evidence of that.

It was Alphon who first claimed a definite purpose for a gunman in a cornfield, namely to force the couple to split up. The chances of this being a successful tactic has been well aired on this site. Others have suggested the gunman’s motive was perhaps the opposite: to confront the hesitant Mr. Gregsten with the reality of their relationship and tell him to leave the marital home and stop messing his wife about. To which I might add a third; that by drinking together in inns and visiting cornfields of an evening they were humiliating Mrs. Gregsten, so were being warned in no uncertain terms to be more discreet in their activities.

The Gregsten/Valerie Storie relationship seems to have been widely known about by work colleagues and also presumably by fellow members of their motoring club. Has any writer spoken to such people to discover what, apart from the obvious sense of shock and horror, their initial reaction to the crime was?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:44 AM
Sergeant

Here's a link to the Ordnance Survey map published in 1946.

Dorney Map

Last edited by Spitfire : 02-20-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
Has any writer spoken to such people to discover what, apart from the obvious sense of shock and horror, their initial reaction to the crime was?
In ‘Today’ magazine, June 1962, Valerie reported on a mixed reaction.

“Friends from the lab have visited me all the time; kept me up to date with what is going on; and even invited me out on a works car rally.”

But she also received anonymous obscene letters: “I was a wicked woman. I had got what I deserved. I had wrecked a good man’s life. They even wrote these things to my parents.”

‘Today’ writer Gill Preece went with Valerie to the cornfield entrance. So the two photos by the gate that appear in ‘Today’ are the only ones that definitely show the entrance to the cornfield. I have posted them here: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...99&#post304699

There is also a photo on the Telegraph obituary (a wider version is on the Fred Dinenage documentary) which may show the cornfield entrance to the right of Valerie’s shoulder.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:02 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
‘Today’ writer Gill Preece went with Valerie to the cornfield entrance. So the two photos by the gate that appear in ‘Today’ are the only ones that definitely show the entrance to the cornfield. I have posted them here:
I would guess that's the gate I saw when I visited in (around) 1992 or 93, and I wonder if it's the very gate that Mrs Climo got her husband to install? I suppose it must be.

Graham
Old 02-20-2018, 02:49 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
In which case it was what is now the water company entrance, so Steve was wrong and Graham should collect his prize.
Thank you, I'll have a double.

Graham
Old 02-20-2018, 03:35 PM
Detective

I was attempting to save a google earth photo taken from above the M4 link motorway,J7, to indicate( just out of interest) how close the housing estate that Storie lived on, was to the 's' bend on Huntercombe lane s. when just like magic an old ordnance survey map popped up of Marsh Lane. On which, and over to the far right we have the edge of the Cippenham housing estate, and the country footpath which leads directly to the said Huntercombe lane. Pre motorway days,
Interestingly the footpath is still extant, now though we have a footbridge over the link road. Whether the bridge was built to accommodate people from the country lanes who may need pedestrian access to the Cippenham infants school, or perhaps access for the folks in the built up area to get across to the country lanes and the river Thames, or maybe both, in any case, I thought it worthy of mention that Valeries home would be only 10 or twelve minutes walk to the 'S' bend. I reckon that 'S' bend may have been a regular drop off point for Valerie, so that mike wouldn't need to be driving through her estate,
Which brings me to the subject of Valeries statements re acceptance by her Mum and Dad of her affair. Could it be that the parents were totally crushed by the news that their only daughter had taken up with a 36 year old married man with two children, could it be, nay likely that it was the office manager at the Road Research Labs that called the Storie parents, in a last gasp attempt to pull these two apart, and that was when someone was 'tattling'. I don't think Valerie makes it clear when the parents found out all about Mike, but it may have been relatively recent.
I know there is lots we'll never know for sure. But just looking at the small amount of footage we do have of Mr. John Storie, he doesn't look the type to say' Oh this chap you've been seeing all this time? Married with two little boys is he? we must have him over for tea on Sunday, and have a chat about it all !
Old 02-20-2018, 04:21 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I would guess that's the gate I saw when I visited in (around) 1992 or 93, and I wonder if it's the very gate that Mrs Climo got her husband to install? I suppose it must be.

Graham
Mr Climo,s responce to a request from his wife to ‘go and please put a gate on the entrance to that field,I’m sick to death of the traffic in and out all the time’
Would almost certainly have been ‘ don’t be silly, you can’t go installing gates on farmers fields Willy Nilly ( unless maybe if he was the farmers son in law)
Incidentally If that is the same gate from 30 years before , someone has been giving it a couple of coats of preserver every 3 or 4 years.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:36 PM
Sergeant

That bend, where Court Lane and Marsh Lane meet, is called Climo’s Corner – because a blacksmith called Climo had his forge nearby. I presume the gate-installing Mr Climo was a descendant, perhaps living on the same plot of land.