Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Discussion: The Weapon - by Ginger 3 hours ago.
General Discussion: The Weapon - by Damaso Marte 5 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 6 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 6 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 7 hours ago.
General Discussion: The Weapon - by Herlock Sholmes 10 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (10 posts)
General Discussion: The Weapon - (4 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (3 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (1 posts)
Ripper Notes: Status of Ripper Notes? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 02-17-2018, 03:47 AM
Sergeant

I think this shows that they were not looking in earnest for Alphon until after Nudds made his dodgy second statement, go home and teach it to Snell and for her to give her statement to Acott the following day.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Detective

NickB,

You could be right there. Nudds' second statement is as you say 'dodgy.' In fact it is almost certainly a fabrication.

But why on earth were the police, investigating the most high profile murder case of a generation, not engaging on a national manhunt for J. Ryan from September 11th?
Old 02-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quite simply, coppers being coppers and (especially back then) somewhat blinkered, Alphon was already on the A6 'books' before the cartridge cases were found at The Vienna. He had been interviewed at The Alexandra Court as part of the overall A6 investigation, and had openly and honestly told the police where he had been on the night of the murder.

Nudds' first statement was, I submit, pure Nudds but because, if true - and I believe it was - it let Alphon off the hook. Hence 'his' second statement, hammered out during a gruelling session at Scotland Yard, and which I submit was about 10% Nudds and 90% Acott - Alphon's movements had to fit in with his being Acott's prime suspect. Therefore Alphon was pursued - unsuccessfully, as it turned out, because he surrendered himself. Only when Valerie failed to identify him was he off the hook leaving Alphon to go after Ryan. Why the police did not seek Ryan at the same time they were looking for Alphon I really couldn't say. It puzzled Paul Foot, too.

Graham
Old 02-18-2018, 02:23 AM
Sergeant

To assess whether poster ‘Steve’ was right about the cornfield entrance, you can go to http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?p=29206 and look at the contemporary photo by Tony Mason; I assume this is where he thinks the car was parked when driven further into the field. Then scroll down to the bottom of that page and look at Steve’s more recent photo.

Allowing for extensions and alterations to the cottages, are we are looking ‘then and now’ photos from roughly the same viewpoint?
Old 02-18-2018, 07:30 AM
Assistant Commissioner

The car in Tony Mason's black & white photo looks to me like a Mk 3 Cortina, produced from 1969 to 1976 or thereabouts; if so, so the photo isn't contemporary.

The two cottages, when compared in Tony Mason's and Steve's much later photo, look very different, almost completely rebuilt. In the Mason photo, the tallest tree is directly above the RH cottage, whereas in Steve's photo it's about the LH cottage (if it's the same tree, taht is). I would have to say that Steve's photo seems to have been taken from a position well to the right of Mason's photo, to judge by the gable-ends of the cottages. I also have the impression that the entrance to the field off Marsh Lane is to the right of the car.

It's a long time ago since I was there, but looking at the two photos I would suggest that Mason's is probably nearer the mark. My memory tells me that the cottages were further from the gate than Steve's photo indicates. I'm under the impression, which may well be wrong, that 'the' entrance is where the electricity sub-station now is (or was). Does anyone fancy a quick ride down (or up) to Dorney? I'd go myself as it's a nice part of the world, but I'm afraid I'm just too knackered!

Graham
Old 02-19-2018, 10:12 PM
Detective

Default New Book

This from Bobs Website.2016' The A6 murder was committed outside Bedford. Even though there was ample evidence that at the time Hanratty was in Rhyl, north Wales, he was executed. In the wake of the documentary, Bob published Hanratty – The Final Verdict (Macmillan). The case remains unresolved. A new edition of the book is being planned'
I have written to him for confirmation of above. Also to ask whether retired chief superintendent Roger Mathews could be a source for information .
Old 02-20-2018, 03:34 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Ref: my Post above, I should have said that Steve's photo seems to have been taken well to the left of Tony Mason's, and not to the right as I wrote.

Graham
Old 02-20-2018, 03:38 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by moste View Post
This from Bobs Website.2016' The A6 murder was committed outside Bedford. Even though there was ample evidence that at the time Hanratty was in Rhyl, north Wales, he was executed. In the wake of the documentary, Bob published Hanratty The Final Verdict (Macmillan). The case remains unresolved. A new edition of the book is being planned'
I have written to him for confirmation of above. Also to ask whether retired chief superintendent Roger Mathews could be a source for information .
I am sure that Bob will appreciate the 'heads-up' as to the direction which his next researches into the A6 Murder should take. However it might be the case that Bob has now accepted the rightfulness of Hanratty's conviction. Bob's website has a section headed "Wrongful Convictions in the UK" and the Hanratty conviction does not appear as a topic for discussion.

It is now nearly 16 years since the last judicial pronouncement of Hanratty's guilt, it is over 7 years since we were promised a further appeal and no application appears to be on foot to the Criminal Cases Review Commission. As Hanratty's conviction is not going to be overturned and as the majority of the population now accept that it was Hanratty wot dun it, Bob undoubtedly feels a further revision of his book would be pointless.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:01 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I am sure that Bob will appreciate the 'heads-up' as to the direction which his next researches into the A6 Murder should take. However it might be the case that Bob has now accepted the rightfulness of Hanratty's conviction. Bob's website has a section headed "Wrongful Convictions in the UK" and the Hanratty conviction does not appear as a topic for discussion.

It is now nearly 16 years since the last judicial pronouncement of Hanratty's guilt, it is over 7 years since we were promised a further appeal and no application appears to be on foot to the Criminal Cases Review Commission. As Hanratty's conviction is not going to be overturned and as the majority of the population now accept that it was Hanratty wot dun it, Bob undoubtedly feels a further revision of his book would be pointless.
I believe the note on Bob's website about 'a new edition being planned' has been on his website for some time now. Unless he (or someone else) comes up with important new information which throws a different light upon the A6 Case and Hanratty's guilt, then I can't see either a new appeal or a new book in the offing. And let's face it, the A6 Case doesn't have the same general appeal as it did even a few years ago, to judge from the number of posts on this Forum.

Bob is also perfectly entitled to change his mind about Hanratty's guilt, as I understand he has concerning another murder case that was in the public gaze somewhat more recently than the A6.

Graham
Old 02-20-2018, 04:06 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Ref: my Post above, I should have said that Steve's photo seems to have been taken well to the left of Tony Mason's, and not to the right as I wrote.

Graham
If you have Google maps and can access street view, then go to the junction at Marsh Lane and Court Lane. If one is coming from Court Lane the road bends sharply right. There is however a lane which goes straight on past the sign "Welcome to Eton College- Dorney Lake'. Take street view along this lane and after about 9 or 10 of the trees along, one can peer to the right and get the same view as the one shown on Steve's Photo.

One can see the Velux window near the chimney on the far house, this is only visible from this angle. The two houses which can be seen are Nos 1 and 3 Marsh Lane. The next house on the lane is an end terrace No 5 Marsh Lane.

I have seen an old Ordnance Survey Map from 1944 which shows a paddock or field to the left of Nos 1 and 3 (looking at them from Marsh Lane) and another paddock behind this one. The OS would indicate that the two paddocks or field were fenced, and if so it would not be possible to access the river without climbing the fences.

Whereas the field to the RIGHT of Nos 1 and 3 and to the LEFT of No 5 is large and unfenced and would seem (at least on the old OS map) to run down to the river. Valerie mentioned seeing someone put a bike away in a shed in one of the houses to the north, which would either be a house in the terrace of which No 5 forms part or one of the houses on Harcourt Lane.

It would seem that the entrance to the field was somewhere between No 3 and No 5 Marsh Lane.