Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 46 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - by Michael W Richards 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Simon Wood 15 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Scott Nelson 15 hours ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by Paddy 16 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (8 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (8 posts)
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (6 posts)
Maybrick, James: And This Is Factual! - (4 posts)
Maybrick, James: New Thoughts On The “diary” - (2 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Bury, W.H.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-16-2018, 10:42 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
You do understand that Bury confessed to murdering Ellen?
I daresay that the people who intend to hold this "retrial" understand that, too.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-16-2018, 10:45 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
to me the most obvious explanation is they got in a drunken row and he killed her.
Oh, I think so too, Abby, but I'm open to the possibility of suicide, followed by a pissed-up WH Bury losing it and cutting her a bit.
Quote:
now why he mutilated the abdomen is a head scratcher.
Actually, it was little more than an abdomen-scratcher.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-17-2018, 05:03 AM
John Wheat John Wheat is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,773
Default

The main reason's Bury is not regarded as the top Ripper suspect is because he's not a glam enough suspect and alternatively people would rather have the romance of an Unknown Local be the Ripper than Bury.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-17-2018, 05:24 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,267
Default

The main reason against his being the Ripper are because the injuries he inflicted on his wife are very minor even when compared to those inflicted on the outdoor victims of the Ripper, and positively trivial compared to the Ripper's only indoor victim. There are other factors, of course, but his not being "glam" enough isn't one of them.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-17-2018, 08:25 AM
John Wheat John Wheat is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
The main reason against his being the Ripper are because the injuries he inflicted on his wife are very minor even when compared to those inflicted on the outdoor victims of the Ripper, and positively trivial compared to the Ripper's only indoor victim. There are other factors, of course, but his not being "glam" enough isn't one of them.
I have to disagree Sam. Bury is a proven violent murderer who fits the Psyche profile's as much as you would expect from Jack. Also your recent posts proposing Ellen committing suicide have not shown you as being a particularly rational person to say the least.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Scott Nelson Scott Nelson is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
The main reason's Bury is not regarded as the top Ripper suspect is because he's not a glam enough suspect and alternatively people would rather have the romance of an Unknown Local be the Ripper than Bury.
It's also difficult to imagine a sawdust vendor as Jack the Ripper.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
Also your recent posts proposing Ellen committing suicide have not shown you as being a particularly rational person to say the least.
I wasn't the one who proposed that she committed suicide for starters, and I've not made any irrational comments on the matter either. Anyone with an ounce of objectivity will be able to see that for themselves by reading my posts.

For clarity, I still think it likely that she was killed, which I clearly said in my response to Abby - in which I also stated that I was prepared to entertain the possibility that she committed suicide, that's all.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-17-2018, 02:46 PM
John Wheat John Wheat is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
I wasn't the one who proposed that she committed suicide for starters, and I've not made any irrational comments on the matter either. Anyone with an ounce of objectivity will be able to see that for themselves by reading my posts.

For clarity, I still think it likely that she was killed, which I clearly said in my response to Abby - in which I also stated that I was prepared to entertain the possibility that she committed suicide, that's all.
Those who state entertain the possibility who then go on to propose something so unlikely that it is a completely irrational scenario are still being irrational.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-17-2018, 03:05 PM
007 007 is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 39
Default

3.14159265358979.............

Sorry, I was being irrational.
__________________
Bond. Greg Bond
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
Those who state entertain the possibility who then go on to propose something so unlikely that it is a completely irrational scenario are still being irrational.
I've not posted anything even slightly "irrational" (never mind completely irrational) on this thread, and the fact that you think that I have speaks volumes about your ability to reason objectively in this matter.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.