Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Batman 47 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 49 minutes ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Sam Flynn 60 minutes ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Batman 1 hour and 7 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by Batman 1 hour and 11 minutes ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 14 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (15 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (12 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - (5 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (3 posts)
General Discussion: The Weapon - (3 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Hutchinson, George

Old 12-17-2017, 07:31 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Your easily impressed.
Easily impressed? I'm not so sure. But I was impressed that Wickerman was able to cut through the essentially uncountable layers of Hutchinson nonsense to get to the bottom line. Sometimes it is important to state the obvious. The paradox of Hutchinson is that if it is so apparently obvious to people on these boards that Hutchinson engaged in highly suspicious activities then it is a reasonable assumption that the police at the time would have been of the same mind and acted accordingly. Unless they were complete and total idiots and completely incompetent.

c.d.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:35 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Jon, I don't suppose you have a link to Bowyer's report of seeing the man, do you? Seems a bit fishy that he not only discovered the body but placed himself at the scene around the time of death, too. Why isn't he suspect no.1?
Jr
Debra Arif found the article a couple of years ago that Bowyer said, quoted, no less, that he was in the court in the middle of the night. He didn’t see any man at that time and said he was sorry he didn’t because he missed the chance to catch the ripper.

I asked the same thing you just did about bowyer, and still think he’s fishy. At the time she posted it I was surprised that there was so little interest by casebookers.

Wicks, as usual, with the other press reports of Boyer saying he saw a peculiar man a day or so earlier in the court, is trying to twist it into his legendarium with his well dressed man suspect at the center.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 12-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
Easily impressed? I'm not so sure. But I was impressed that Wickerman was able to cut through the essentially uncountable layers of Hutchinson nonsense to get to the bottom line. Sometimes it is important to state the obvious. The paradox of Hutchinson is that if it is so apparently obvious to people on these boards that Hutchinson engaged in highly suspicious activities then it is a reasonable assumption that the police at the time would have been of the same mind and acted accordingly. Unless they were complete and total idiots and completely incompetent.

c.d.
Ok. So cutting through the “uncountable layers of Hutchinson nonsense to get to the bottom line” is what then? And how did the police act accordingly?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 12-17-2017, 08:03 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Jr
Debra Arif found the article a couple of years ago that Bowyer said, quoted, no less, that he was in the court in the middle of the night. He didn’t see any man at that time and said he was sorry he didn’t because he missed the chance to catch the ripper.

I asked the same thing you just did about bowyer, and still think he’s fishy. At the time she posted it I was surprised that there was so little interest by casebookers.

Wicks, as usual, with the other press reports of Boyer saying he saw a peculiar man a day or so earlier in the court, is trying to twist it into his legendarium with his well dressed man suspect at the center.
Cheers Abby. Sounds similar to the remarks of George Morris, the Kearley & Tonge's watchman;
"It was only on that night that he remarked to some policeman that he wished the "butcher" would come round Mitre square, and he would give him a doing; yet the "butcher" had come, and he was perfectly ignorant of it"

Still, it's odd that the press reports from the Echo on this site stop at 13th Nov... seems almost like a bit of a cover-up.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:57 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
if it is so apparently obvious to people on these boards that Hutchinson engaged in highly suspicious activities then it is a reasonable assumption that the police at the time would have been of the same mind and acted accordingly. Unless they were complete and total idiots and completely incompetent.
No matter how competent the police were, it doesn't preclude the idea that Hutchinson succeeded in hoodwinking them. He won't have been the first bogus witness to have done so, nor the last.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
No matter how competent the police were, it doesn't preclude the idea that Hutchinson succeeded in hoodwinking them. He won't have been the first bogus witness to have done so, nor the last.
Agreed, Sam. But that holds true for every single person they questioned in this case not just Hutchinson.

c.d.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Agreed, Sam. But that holds true for every single person they questioned in this case not just Hutchinson.
Not quite, CD, in the sense that not every person in this case came up with such an extraordinarily detailed description of a suspect, nor indeed of their own (in this case, Hutchinson's) movements at the time in question. In fact - correct me if I'm wrong - Hutchinson's story, both what he saw and what he did, was by far and away the most detailed in the entire case.

Most of the other witness descriptions were usually so "ordinary" that they don't give the impression that the witnesses were trying to hoodwink anyone.

Last edited by Sam Flynn : 12-17-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Hello Sam,

I have no problem with the idea that the police could have been fooled by Hutchinson and that he was in fact the Ripper. No matter how competent a police force is they are still human and therefore can make mistakes. What I do object to is the idea apparently held by some that the police were fooled by Hutch because they were incompetent and failed to see the obvious signs. And what is there proof of this? Simple. Hutchinson was never a suspect and never arrested for the murder. That seems to be circular reasoning.

c.d.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:25 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
What I do object to is the idea apparently held by some that the police were fooled by Hutch because they were incompetent and failed to see the obvious signs.
The good news is that I don't subscribe to that view, CD. One doesn't need to be incompetent to be taken in by a plausible liar - I'm sure that an experienced detective like George Oldfield wasn't incompetent at all, but he and some of his colleagues were well taken in by the "Wearside Jack" hoax letters and tape recording.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
The good news is that I don't subscribe to that view, CD. One doesn't need to be incompetent to be taken in by a plausible liar - I'm sure that an experienced detective like George Oldfield wasn't incompetent at all, but he and some of his colleagues were well taken in by the "Wearside Jack" hoax letters and tape recording.
Exactly sam. And what are they going to do anyway even if they did think he was embelling or lying? How are they going to prove it? And it seems and probable the police weren’t all of one mind concerning hutch’s story. Some probably believed or not believed the veracity of his report in varying degrees, and indeed, the only one who mentions him some time later, dew, thinks he was mistaken.

No one, not the police then or people now, despite wicker mans and cds assertion that it has been “cut through” to the “bottom line” concerning hutch.
The only thing certain about hutch is that it’s totally uncertain.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline