An experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
    In fact the only documents I recall him citing are from Evans and Skinner or dissertations etc here on Casebook.

You see frm the beginning I have believed he is making it up a he goes.
    Since you seem to think I should read ripperological books I am sure you can recommend some relevant books:

1. How many of those books are written by academic historians?

2. What are the titles of the books written by those academic historians?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• Look folks Pierre can copy and Paste answers and use one answer for everyone...
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
        Since you seem to think I should read ripperological books I am sure you can recommend some relevant books:

2. What are the titles of the books written by those academic historians?

Regards, Pierre
        But you were the one who claiming to be an historian, implying that greater weight should be attached to your posts. In fact, this has been broadly your approach/tactic since joining Casebook!

Unbelievable!

Comment

• What do you mean by "academic historian", Pierre?
          -- a person who has studied history at the university level who has a degree in it?
          -- a person qualified to teach history in higher education?

Defining your terms will help people answer your questions.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

• I'm sorry. You want someone who is committed to an outdated and generally reviled method of presenting information to have written a book? THAT'S the book you want? The often mocked academic history?
            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
              What do you mean by "academic historian", Pierre?
              -- a person who has studied history at the university level who has a degree in it?
              -- a person qualified to teach history in higher education?

Defining your terms will help people answer your questions.
              Sure!

Someone with a degree of history, who has studied history at a university, i.e. not psychology or something else.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Look folks Pierre can copy and Paste answers and use one answer for everyone...
                GUT could not answer the questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                  But you were the one who claiming to be an historian, implying that greater weight should be attached to your posts. In fact, this has been broadly your approach/tactic since joining Casebook!

Unbelievable!
                  John could not answer the questions.

Comment

2. What are the titles of the books written by academic historians?
                    You are confused Pierre. You were the one who said that you had had "a good opportunity over a number of months to assess the abilities of various people who have been trying to find Jack the Ripper for 128 years without managing to do so." In response, I pointed out that you haven't actually bothered to do this because you have only read two books on the case neither of which contained an effort to find Jack the Ripper.

I don't care whether you read books on the case or not and am therefore not going to recommend any to you therefore your questions do not apply.

Comment

John could not answer the questions.
                      I think you will find that both John and Gut choose not to answer, not could not!
                      Just as you continue to chose not to answer the Question John has asked you many times; or are we to conclude that you cannot answer that question

steve.

Comment

Sure!

Someone with a degree of history, who has studied history at a university, i.e. not psychology or something else.

Regards, Pierre
                        But studying law or psychology at university doesn't make you a lawyer or psychiatrist. And studying a Masters in information management doesn't make you a librarian. So why would simply studying history at degree level make you a academic historian?
                        Last edited by John G; 04-07-2016, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Sure!

Regards, Pierre
                          You do know that's not what an academic history is, right? I mean, as an historian yourself, you do know that what you asked for is a specific thing, right? A thing not defined by simply that the author came out of a history department at one point.

And if that is all you will accept, would you like someone to also hook you up with a full set of Encyclopedia Britannica? Because surely you cannot possibly get a more complete academic history than that.

Comment

Sure!

Regards, Pierre
                            Ok now I know, he has never been within cooeeee of a university.

Me my qualification is in Law (well my main one I've got a few) and I have taught law at University, and I have practiced law, and even sat as a Judge at times, would I claim to be an Academic Lawyer, not on your nelly. Now Mrs Gut ha a PhD in history, has taught at university, has been published, would I claim that she is an Academic Historian, maybe. Our good friend is a Professor in History (before semi retiring a Dean) is published, either in book form or peer reviewed journals a couple of times a year, would I say he is an academic historian, bet your boots I would.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Ok now I know, he has never been within cooeeee of a university.

Me my qualification is in Law (well my main one I've got a few) and I have taught law at University, and I have practiced law, and even sat as a Judge at times, would I claim to be an Academic Lawyer, not on your nelly. Now Mrs Gut ha a PhD in history, has taught at university, has been published, would I claim that she is an Academic Historian, maybe. Our good friend is a Professor in History (before semi retiring a Dean) is published, either in book form or peer reviewed journals a couple of times a year, would I say he is an academic historian, bet your boots I would.
                              I dunno. Asking for an Academic Historian is like asking for a neonatologist. A highly specific request concerning a very specific set of skills that when you need, only a neonatologist will do. Mere published historians are not Academic Historians. That title is reserved for those who write departmentally approved general histories formatted by era. Much like the vaunted and respected encyclopedia of old. Did your friend contribute to this whitewashing practice? Because that's what Pierre is demanding. The hyper generalized vast texts we looked to in the 70s as the fonts of all knowledge.

Comment

• Fortunate to grow up with the 1949 Edition,now a family heirloom.

Maintained an interest in history,despite the boring school curriculum.

Interesting to watch that history change over the decades.
                                My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Working...
                                X