Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ripper

Hello Bunny. Thanks.

Actually, a few years back someone started a thread showing PC Watkins's belongings but with name engraved. It was supposed to show he was the ripper. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
      Hello Bunny. Thanks.

Actually, a few years back someone started a thread showing PC Watkins's belongings but with name engraved. It was supposed to show he was the ripper. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
      LC
      And as if by magic.....

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Watkins supposed truncheon posted a while back.

Monty
        Attached Files
        Monty

Comment

Mutations R Us

Hello Neil. Thanks.

Yup, that's it. Now, perhaps we can get a DNA match? (heh-heh) But beware 314.1C--might be a private global mutation. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
            Didn't get whistles to 1889, Robert.
            If that is the case, how does one explain the below?

"In accordance with instructions given to all the police in the district, the constable did not move, but blew his whistle for assistance" (Times, 11 September 1888).

"One of the constables blew a whistle. Several policemen immediately came on the spot" (Evening News, 1 October 1888).

Comment

Hi David

This is from the inquest :

[Coroner] When you first saw the body did you hear any footsteps as if anybody were running away? - No. The door of the warehouse to which I went was ajar, because the watchman was working about. It was no unusual thing for the door to be ajar at that hour of the morning.
              By Mr. Crawford: I was continually patrolling my beat from ten o'clock up to half-past one. I noticed nothing unusual up till 1.44, when I saw the body.
              By the Coroner: I did not sound an alarm. We do not carry whistles.
              By a Juror: My beat is not a double but a single beat. No other policeman comes into Mitre-street.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                If that is the case, how does one explain the below?

"In accordance with instructions given to all the police in the district, the constable did not move, but blew his whistle for assistance" (Times, 11 September 1888).

"One of the constables blew a whistle. Several policemen immediately came on the spot" (Evening News, 1 October 1888).
                Easy. Those were Met Police, Watkins was City.

Rob

Comment

Met constables, day patrols, were issued with whistles as standard in 1884, with night patrols following in 1887.

City issued whistles in 1889, after a brief experiment, and were issued to all constables as standard by 1890.

Whistles were used by Dock yard constables, and on special occasions such as Traffic duty and public disorder, prior to those dates.

Incidentally, the Met returned to rattles during both wars, due to heavy use of whistles by other authorities such as the Fire Brigade, Home Guard, Army etc.

Its all in the book. ;-)

Monty
                  Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                    Easy. Those were Met Police, Watkins was City.

Rob
                    That explains it! Thank you Rob (and Monty).

Comment

Didn't Watkins say that he went to the warehouse and got the night clerk/watchman to blow his whistle to call for police?

Comment

Auction Results

Hi guys. Well, the auction is over. Items went for over 5 times the estimate.

Comment

Some folks seem to have much more cents than sense. Wish I just had an adequate amount of both.
                          Best Wishes,
                          Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

A fool and his money are soon parted.
                            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Well, Cris, at least you have horse sense... which is more than can be said for many.

Archaic

Comment

In auctions, biding a higher price on an item you want sometimes turns into not wanting someone else having it.

Comment

Working...
                                X