No announcement yet.

American Ripper - TV documentary series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed, YomRippur, but at least they have been talking to real Ripperologists-- Stewart Evans!-- and not making them out to be weirdos.

Mudgett is rather credulous, positively depressed when the DNA test failed, and too excited when the language analysts told him the Dear Boss letter used Americanisms. Now it's back to the U.S. for next week's​ episode where they apparently plan to look for missing victims of the Murder Hotel.

What do you think of the creepy photo of Holmes they keep using? His eyes seem unusual to me, rather dead-like. I can't imagine a Ripper witness not remarking on them.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Holmes suffered from Esotropia and was apparently ashamed enough of it that one of the most remarked upon things from people throughout his life was his unwillingness to make eye contact. This eye condition of his is apparent in some photographs.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
        Holmes suffered from Esotropia and was apparently ashamed enough of it that one of the most remarked upon things from people throughout his life was his unwillingness to make eye contact. This eye condition of his is apparent in some photographs.

JM
        Thanks for that reply, JM. I see from Wiki it means he had an eye condition in which one or more eyes turned inward. It mostly happens when the person tries to focus, so that would make a certain amount of sense.
        You wouldn't think he'd be so charming with the ladies, would you?
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

They never acknowledged in the show that the Ripper letter are generally not believed to have come from Jack.

c.d.

Comment

There is a great Youtube video by Astrophysicist Neil Degrasse Tyson on why the whole UFO thing is so farfetched. I love Neil.

Its not that I dont believe in UFO's or Aliens. Its just that this guy makes a VERY good argument as to why most people are full of shit or why eye witness d...

c.d.

Comment

So far I have watched all of the episodes except the final one where they exhume Holmes' body. I have been fairly entertained by them and they do seem to pursue every lead they can find. My main objection is how they keep referring to the Ripper letters as being from Jack all the while failing to mention that the consensus opinion among Ripperologists is that they are fake.

While I don't think Holmes was the Ripper the show does manage to produce some circumstantial evidence so that it becomes at least a possibility.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                So far I have watched all of the episodes except the final one where they exhume Holmes' body. I have been fairly entertained by them and they do seem to pursue every lead they can find. My main objection is how they keep referring to the Ripper letters as being from Jack all the while failing to mention that the consensus opinion among Ripperologists is that they are fake.

While I don't think Holmes was the Ripper the show does manage to produce some circumstantial evidence so that it becomes at least a possibility.

c.d.
                Hi c.d.

I've watched 3 shows so far and I've just made the same point as you on the JTRForum. They mention the 'Americanisms' but no mention that the letters are considered hoaxes by most (including senior police officers at the time.)
                I also found it strange how 'excited' they got at finding Holmes' pseudonyms on ships manifests. Surely it would have been more surprising if they hadn't considering how many he used? I'm also not keen on these 'forensic' sketches. For me they would need to find more tangible proof that he was in London (or at least England) at the time.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

c.d.
                  Hi CD and herlock.
                  I've tried to watch but can't. These type of shows literally upset my stomach. Another fake "documentary". Makes me ill.

The fake drama facial shots and pregnant pauses. Oooooo....something very dramatic is happening. Lol!

The fake drama set pieces, like looking at radar of underwater objects. Yeah your really going to find one of his victims. What a joke.

The stupid misleading and ambiguous "evidence". Like the letters.

Speaking of letters and joke suspects. I was in the library and picked up Cornwalls book on sickert. I stopped reading about 20 pages in when she started saying that most of the hoax ripper letters are authentic and literally tossed it across the room in the trash can. And like the true garbage that it is it went right into the can like it knew where it belonged.its still there. I'm seriously thinking of leaving it there and paying the lost book fee, as I can't stomach the thought of having it back in circulation. It doesn't deserve to be on a library shelf.

Sickert, HH Holmes, Maybrick. Garbage.
                  "Is all that we see or seem
                  but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                  quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hello Abby,

True. But on the other hand I think Amaryllis is kind of cute although I would like to see her fix herself up a little. Yes. Yes. I am shallow.

c.d.

Comment

Totally agree, Abby. In his own right, Holmes was a fascinating psychopath: What other serial killer had his own building, designed specifically for luring, trapping, killing and disposing of human beings - all without ever having to go outside? But he had nothing whatever in common with JTR besides "operating" during roughly the same time period. The main fault with American documentaries is that they're produced strictly for entertainment value and as a marketing venue. Brits do it far better. Your "garbage" list is right on the money, but short just a few names.

Dr. John
                      "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
                      Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

I checked out of this show long ago. Right now I'm looking forward to Scorsese and DiCaprio's upcoming pic on H.H. Holmes, which will be a film adaptation of "The Devil and the White City." But The latest news says it may take a while. I wish them best. Scorsese's last pic did not do well. Hope his next few films will do well so that he will get to make "The Devil and the White City."

Comment

Originally posted by YomRippur View Post
                          I checked out of this show long ago. Right now I'm looking forward to Scorsese and DiCaprio's upcoming pic on H.H. Holmes, which will be a film adaptation of "The Devil and the White City." But The latest news says it may take a while. I wish them best. Scorsese's last pic did not do well. Hope his next few films will do well so that he will get to make "The Devil and the White City."
                          Thanks for the link, YomRippur. I wasn't aware of this film project, and will join you in looking forward to it. I found the book great reading.
                          ---------------
                          ---------------

Comment

just finished watching ep3,how on earth do they believe Holmes was even anything like JtR?

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                              Hi CD and herlock.
                              I've tried to watch but can't. These type of shows literally upset my stomach. Another fake "documentary". Makes me ill.

The fake drama facial shots and pregnant pauses. Oooooo....something very dramatic is happening. Lol!

The fake drama set pieces, like looking at radar of underwater objects. Yeah your really going to find one of his victims. What a joke.

The stupid misleading and ambiguous "evidence". Like the letters.

Speaking of letters and joke suspects. I was in the library and picked up Cornwalls book on sickert. I stopped reading about 20 pages in when she started saying that most of the hoax ripper letters are authentic and literally tossed it across the room in the trash can. And like the true garbage that it is it went right into the can like it knew where it belonged.its still there. I'm seriously thinking of leaving it there and paying the lost book fee, as I can't stomach the thought of having it back in circulation. It doesn't deserve to be on a library shelf.

Sickert, HH Holmes, Maybrick. Garbage.
                              And some of the Ripperologists used in this debacle, have also not done themselves, or ripperology any favours

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                                And some of the Ripperologists used in this debacle, have also not done themselves, or ripperology any favours

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                                Who do you have in mind? Did anyone endorse H.H. Holmes as the Ripper?

Comment

Working...
                                X