The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    I see no reason to believe that such things would automatically occur to 19th century people, at a time when "forensic thinking" (if I can call it that) was some distance in the future. We only have to look at some of the twaddle believed, or the dodgy theories proposed, by some of the senior police officers, coroners and doctors to see that even the most highly educated weren't blessed with the most logical or rational of minds.

PS: The police aren't necessarily smarter (or otherwise) than anyone else.
    Sam its not rocket science. its not about theories. Its really just common sense.

Any of the police-"its too dark there in the middle of the night to write so the killer couldn't have written it".

but on the contrary most police who comment on the GSG think the killer wrote it.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

but on the contrary most police who comment on the GSG think the killer wrote it.
      And what made them come to that conclusion? As It did not relate directly to any murder past or present.

It is another example of the naivety of the police back then, other examples are

The leather Apron fiasco
      Wanting to Photograph Kelly's eyes
      Considering the use of blood hounds at Millers Court after the world and his brother had been trampling around that location.

Much of what they said was nothing more than guesswork, and opinion because they had little or no evidence to work with, but we still see researchers believing what they said without question

Comment

Sam its not rocket science. its not about theories. Its really just common sense.

Any of the police-"its too dark there in the middle of the night to write so the killer couldn't have written it".

Hello Abby,

Let's assume for the sake of argument that the killer did in fact write the GSG. What can we take from it?

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
          Hello Abby,

Let's assume for the sake of argument that the killer did in fact write the GSG. What can we take from it?

c.d.
          Handwriting match,maybe motive, and a possible way to draw out more and catch.

Unfortunately at the time, knowing what the police knew about serial killers at the time, only the first two would apply then. But still helpful.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Hello Abby,

I assume you are going by the Jewish reference but I don't see how that pertains to motive.

c.d.

Comment

• "We only have to look at some of the twaddle believed, or the dodgy theories proposed, by some of the senior police officers, coroners and doctors to see that even the most highly educated weren't blessed with the most logical or rational of minds."

Kind of like some of the stuff you read on the boards, huh?

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                Hello Abby,

I assume you are going by the Jewish reference but I don't see how that pertains to motive.

c.d.
                No not neccesarilly. My main point was using it to catch him.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

If you go back through my posts, Abby, you'll note that I've pointed out the issue of the neat, round letters a few times. Writing on a vertical surface in near-darkness would be impressive enough, but writing a rather long message tidily in small letters would be more impressive still. Plus if, as Warren tells us, the writing was on the door jamb, then it's not just a verical surface, but a narrow, restricted vertical surface, which would constrain the writer still further, and make writing neatly even more difficult.
                  It was the start of the Michaelmass Term,so perhaps a lecturer in pathology.
                  My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Never occurred to them? Now that I find hard to believe. You had PCs who saw it at night, and a whole host of police, including higher ups who were there at the time. It was discovered in the middle of the night after the eddowes murder and yet many police, including senior members thought it was written by the killer and none of them thought it was too dark to bee seen. If it was such an impossibility surely that would have come up. I mean they are saying they think the killer wrote it!?!

Also, Long saw the apron first-from a distance? in the pitch black?
                    Hi Abby,

He did notice the apron first but he had his lamp on: "He noticed the apron first, and then the words on the wall. One corner of the apron was wet with blood. His light was on at the time."

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                      Hi Abby,

He did notice the apron first but he had his lamp on: "He noticed the apron first, and then the words on the wall. One corner of the apron was wet with blood. His light was on at the time."
                      Thanks JohnG
                      I had been looking to see if Long had a lamp but couldn't find.

but then again my research skills are lacking. LOL!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Which really isn't that common, and neither is it unusually prevalent among policemen.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Which really isn't that common, and neither is it unusually prevalent among policemen.
                          not common sense to know if its too dark to see?

also, I sense the faint hint of anti police (in general)sentiment.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

not common sense to know if its too dark to see?
                            Sometimes, we can all miss even the most obvious things, Abs, especialy in the heat of the moment and in the thrill of the chase.
                            also, I sense the faint hint of anti police (in general)sentiment.
                            I come from a police family, and was born and raised in a house attached to a police station. My father was a police constable and dog handler, my uncle was a sergeant, and my godfather (whom I worshipped as a kid) a Chief Superintendent. As is the nature of the job, nearly all my father's friends were police officers, too, so I grew up with them. I know policemen very well, and I have a huge amount of respect for them, but I know that they're all-too human.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

True, but never underestimate the capacity of colloquial speech to use one or two more words than it really needs. Take this from the Morning Advertiser report of the Mary Kelly inquest:

Joseph Barnett was the first witness called. When the Testament was handed to him he at once kissed it, and on being checked by the officer he said, "Oh, well, I don't know nothing about such things."
                              This is true, and of course antisemitism was not uncommon (now why didn't I simply write rife).

I have looked (not very hard) for examples of antisemitic graffiti from the 1880s, but the only reference that I find is to the GSG. I shall try harder, but suspect it will only support your point. That doesn't preclude the murderer from being the author, but would explain the convoluted construction potentially.

It still strikes me strange that jews is the only misspelt word - unless juwes had a specific meaning, possibly only locally. Perhaps a family or gang name.

Comment

• Originally posted by etenguy View Post
                                This is true, and of course antisemitism was not uncommon (now why didn't I simply write rife).

I have looked (not very hard) for examples of antisemitic graffiti from the 1880s, but the only reference that I find is to the GSG. I shall try harder, but suspect it will only support your point. That doesn't preclude the murderer from being the author, but would explain the convoluted construction potentially.

It still strikes me strange that jews is the only misspelt word - unless juwes had a specific meaning, possibly only locally. Perhaps a family or gang name.
                                "Lipski" was chalked in large letters on a black paling opposite the arch where the Pinchin torso was found.

Comment

Working...
                                X