No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 years ago - 1915 April 23 - Forty-year-old Lucy Strange is beaten to death with fire tongs in her Oxford, England home. Mrs. Strange was married but separated from her husband and living alone. A local laborer was charged with the killing when he gave a suspicious account of events at the relevant time. He was acquitted, however, and the murder remains unsolved.

50 years ago - 1965 April 23 - The head of Mary Jones, 37, is discovered near the Michigan home of serial killer Clarence Walker. Earlier in the month, the remainder of her body had been found, along with two other Walker victims, in a different location. Walker was eventually convicted of another crime in a different state and sent to prison for life.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 April 25 - Michael Andrew Clark, 16, sets up a sniper nest above a California highway and begins picking off morning commuters. Two men and a 5-year-old boy were murdered before Clark shot and killed himself as lawmen approached. Numerous others had also been wounded in the assault. Up until today, Clark had seemingly been a normal teenager and no explanation for his rampage was ever ascertained.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
        50 years ago - 1965 April 25 - Michael Andrew Clark, 16, sets up a sniper nest above a California highway and begins picking off morning commuters. Two men and a 5-year-old boy were murdered before Clark shot and killed himself as lawmen approached. Numerous others had also been wounded in the assault. Up until today, Clark had seemingly been a normal teenager and no explanation for his rampage was ever ascertained.
        Was that 50 years ago.

Boy I'd have said only about 30, remember it well.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

50 years ago - 1965 April 23 - The head of Mary Jones, 37, is discovered near the Michigan home of serial killer Clarence Walker. Earlier in the month, the remainder of her body had been found, along with two other Walker victims, in a different location. Walker was eventually convicted of another crime in a different state and sent to prison for life.
          Walker was never charged re either Jones or the others her body was found with was he?
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
            Walker was never charged re either Jones or the others her body was found with was he?
            I don't believe so (or at least he apparently was never tried) but he got life for a crime in Illinois.

Stan Reid

Comment

I don't believe so (or at least he apparently was never tried) but he got life for a crime in Illinois.
              He'd have faced the executioner for Jones though wouldn't he?
              G U T

Comment

He'd have faced the executioner for Jones though wouldn't he?
                I would assume-don't know why it wasn't sought.

Stan Reid

Comment

I would assume-don't know why it wasn't sought.
                  Puzzling, unless the evidence wasn't too strong.

Any idea how long he lived in prison, maybe he didn't last long enough to face charges.
                  G U T

Comment

Puzzling, unless the evidence wasn't too strong.

Any idea how long he lived in prison, maybe he didn't last long enough to face charges.
                    No, I looked but couldn't find out.

Stan Reid

Comment

No, I looked but couldn't find out.
                      Nor could I, that's why I wondered if maybe he didn't last too long.
                      G U T

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1865 April 26 - Troops from the U. S. Army corner John Wilkes Booth, the assassin of President Abraham Lincoln, in a Virginia barn. In the process of the siege, Booth is mortally wounded in the neck from a shot fired by Sergeant Boston Corbett. Booth was paralyzed as a result and died a couple of hours later.

50 years ago - 1965 April 26 - The naked and stabbed body of Alan Wright, 24, is found in his Texas residence. Authorities suspect his roommate William Tahl who had murdered a married couple in California earlier in the month. Tahl was put on the FBI's Ten Most wanted list then was captured and incarcerated in Missouri several months later after he brutally attacked another roommate. This final victim survived his wounds.
                        Last edited by sdreid; 04-24-2015, 06:15 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

150 years ago - 1865 April 26 - Troops from the U. S. Army corner John Wilkes Booth, the assassin of President Abraham Lincoln, in a Virginia barn. In the process of the siege, Booth is mortally wounded in the neck from a shot fired by Sergeant Boston Corbett. Booth was paralyzed as a result and died a couple of hours later.
                          Hi Stan,

Actually you are slightly ahead of yourself - today is April 24th.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                            Hi Stan,

Actually you are slightly ahead of yourself - today is April 24th.

Jeff
                            Nope actually 25th, that most holy day on the Calendar ANZAC day
                            G U T

Comment

Nope actually 25th, that most holy day on the Calendar ANZAC day
                              G'Day GUT,

As this is the centennial for Gallipoli, are they having any planned national events to celebrate ANZAC Day (including joint celebrations with Australia)?

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                                G'Day GUT,

As this is the centennial for Gallipoli, are they having any planned national events to celebrate ANZAC Day (including joint celebrations with Australia)?

Jeff
                                G'day Jeff

Massive commemorations.

You had to go n a ballot about 2 years ago to get to Gallipoli Yesterday. Wife and I looked a cruise that was there for Dawn Service it sold out in about 3 weeks. Biggest Dawn service ever I believe at Gallipoli itself. Huge Dawn Services all across the country even small towns had record or near record turn outs.

We had massive storms this week, where I am had nearly half a metre of Rain in 30 hours, that's about 18 inches, coupled with 125km winds, but Saturday morning people still turned out in the tens of thousands for Dawn Service at the local beach.

Probably what amazes me the most is the respect and reverence that the Turks give, it is truly touching.

Similar is happening in NZ.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X