Bruce Robinson on They All Love Jack: Busting the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Robinson on They All Love Jack: Busting the Ripper

Not sure if this has been seen or linked on thse forums but...

YouTube -

"This Hallowe'en join us as we welcome the legendary writer and director of Withnail and I, Bruce Robinson, to discuss They All Love Jack, the tale of a gripping quest to discover the identity of history’s most notorious murderer and a literary high-wire act."

This Hallowe'en join us as we welcome the legendary writer and director of Withnail and I, Bruce Robinson, to discuss They All Love Jack, the tale of a gripp...
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
    ---------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by richardh View Post
    Not sure if this has been seen or linked on thse forums but...

YouTube -

"This Hallowe'en join us as we welcome the legendary writer and director of Withnail and I, Bruce Robinson, to discuss They All Love Jack, the tale of a gripping quest to discover the identity of history’s most notorious murderer and a literary high-wire act."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIEay7Apjys
    Nice clip Richard, thanks for posting it,

Robinson came across as a fairly cool relaxed old hippy.

I was slightly disappointed that no one in the audience challenged him on specific evidence relating to the case, ie. witness statements by Schwartz, Cox, and Lawende.

It is surprising that no one in the audience, on the basis of questions asked, seemed to have a great knowledge of the case.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
      Nice clip Richard, thanks for posting it,

Robinson came across as a fairly cool relaxed old hippy.

I was slightly disappointed that no one in the audience challenged him on specific evidence relating to the case, ie. witness statements by Schwartz, Cox, and Lawende.

It is surprising that no one in the audience, on the basis of questions asked, seemed to have a great knowledge of the case.
      Isn't that how outrageous theories continue to gain traction, that the general public's ignorance of the case is palpable, that editors and publishers are anxious to push the latest "solution" to the case, with very little discernment? After all everyone wants to know who Jack was. That's the fallout and effect of this most famous of Victorian cases.
      Christopher T. George
      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
        Isn't that how outrageous theories continue to gain traction, that the general public's ignorance of the case is palpable, that editors and publishers are anxious to push the latest "solution" to the case, with very little discernment? After all everyone wants to know who Jack was. That's the fallout and effect of this most famous of Victorian cases.
        Absolutely right!

I can only assume that the audience were more familiar with Withnail and I than the JTR murders.

I agree that the prevalence of "outrageous theories" is slowly sliding into the world of fake news.

Is it naive to hope that publishers should be refusing to publish the clearly outlandish theories?

Answering my own question...............yes, it probably is.

Comment

Absolutely right!

I can only assume that the audience were more familiar with Withnail and I than the JTR murders.

I agree that the prevalence of "outrageous theories" is slowly sliding into the world of fake news.

Is it naive to hope that publishers should be refusing to publish the clearly outlandish theories?

Answering my own question...............yes, it probably is.
          So far no book has been published on the Van Gogh as JTR idea yet, so THAT'S encouraging!
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
            So far no book has been published on the Van Gogh as JTR idea yet, so THAT'S encouraging!
            For God's sake don't sow the seed!!!

Comment

Too late, old chap...

For God's sake don't sow the seed!!!
              Barnflat, look at this:

They moved it here to Pub Talk after awhile.
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                Thanks for this Pcdunn.

I tend not to bother reading the dafter theories on the message boards, but I did quick wander through the guys links propagating his theory.

Genuine frontier gibberish!

Comment

Yep. It was fun while it lasted, dead dogs and flowers and all...
                  ---------------
                  ---------------

Comment

I notice the download version of this book is currently available at a very low price. However, is there anything in it worth reading?

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                      I notice the download version of this book is currently available at a very low price. However, is there anything in it worth reading?
                      Hello John

Paul Begg wrote a very long review of this very long book in our October 2015 issue. You may download the pdf of Ripperologist 146 containing Paul's review of Robinson's book at http://www.ripperologist.biz/pdf/ripperologist146.pdf -- it's a big issue of just over 100 pages.

To give you the flavor of the review and the upsides and downsides of the book, which rests largely on the Freemason Theory and that Michael Maybrick as a Freemason committed the murders, here is an excerpt:

"Robinson’s arguments follow a well-worn and predictable pattern. One claim is piled on another, then another, and another, until the sheer weight seems overwhelmingly persuasive, but each of the claims has to be rock solid. All it takes is one weak link for the whole edifice comes crashing down like a tottering Jenga tower. I genuinely hate to say it, but I have a horrible feeling that in a few months we’ll see piles of this book on tables in the remainder shops.

"However, there is definitely gold in them there pages. I have no doubt at all that it will repay careful reading. If researchers cut through the crap and focus on the questions Robinson asks, such as the whole issue of Matthew Packer, we might either get a completely new perspective on some things or tighten up what is already known. Either way, we’ll find nuggets. I hope they’ll be worth the effort."

Best regards

Chris
                      Christopher T. George

Comment

Hello John

Paul Begg wrote a very long review of this very long book in our October 2015 issue. You may download the pdf of Ripperologist 146 containing Paul's review of Robinson's book at http://www.ripperologist.biz/pdf/ripperologist146.pdf -- it's a big issue of just over 100 pages.

To give you the flavor of the review and the upsides and downsides of the book, which rests largely on the Freemason Theory and that Michael Maybrick as a Freemason committed the murders, here is an excerpt:

"Robinson’s arguments follow a well-worn and predictable pattern. One claim is piled on another, then another, and another, until the sheer weight seems overwhelmingly persuasive, but each of the claims has to be rock solid. All it takes is one weak link for the whole edifice comes crashing down like a tottering Jenga tower. I genuinely hate to say it, but I have a horrible feeling that in a few months we’ll see piles of this book on tables in the remainder shops.

"However, there is definitely gold in them there pages. I have no doubt at all that it will repay careful reading. If researchers cut through the crap and focus on the questions Robinson asks, such as the whole issue of Matthew Packer, we might either get a completely new perspective on some things or tighten up what is already known. Either way, we’ll find nuggets. I hope they’ll be worth the effort."

Best regards

Chris
                        Hi Chris,

Thanks for this, much appreciated. I'll read the review before deciding on whether to purchase although, in any event, I'm not sure I can be bothered to wade through 800 pages!

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                          Yeah, I would certainly give it a go.

It is a Ripper book like no other.

To say that Robinson's take on the murders is unorthodox, is an understatement.

He ploughs on with his theory totally ignoring what most people would regard as hard evidence.

Comment

Yeah, I would certainly give it a go.

It is a Ripper book like no other.

To say that Robinson's take on the murders is unorthodox, is an understatement.

He ploughs on with his theory totally ignoring what most people would regard as hard evidence.
                            That puts it up there with a lot of Ripper books.
                            Christopher T. George

Comment

That puts it up there with a lot of Ripper books.
                              That is sadly true.

Comment

Working...
                              X