Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTR (the first serial killer) on 5 (UK) now

Just started on C5 (UK).

I have a feeling I've seen this before, so it might be a repeat.

EDIT: Yep, it's the one where they use all teh modern profiling to find where he likely lived and develope "THE FACE OF THE RIPPER"... OOOOWWWHHHHHHHWHHWHhhh <spooky sound>
    Last edited by Triplesod; 07-04-2008, 10:16 PM.

I've seen it before as well but I have to say it is one of the better JTR programmes and worthy of a repeat. The programme takes a sober and non- sensationalist look at the cases and comes to some logical and interesting conclusions. It also manages to avoid the commom mistake of so many books and documentaries on JTR and focuses on the evidence and crimes themselves rather than begin with a list of suspects and try to pin one to the crimes.

Comment

Yeah, and with a highly photogenic chick as 'profiler'.

I didn't bother to watch it tonight, as I thought first time around was enough.

Graham
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I only saw the last quarter of an hour,but evidently I can call it up and watch it on my computer....
        I watched Cheryl Baker instead.
        I did get what looks like a good book out of the library this afternoon.
        "The Grim Almanac of Jack the Ripper's London 1870-1900" by Neil .R.Storey.
        Anyone read it,by any chance??

Comment

Originally posted by anna View Post
          I only saw the last quarter of an hour,but evidently I can call it up and watch it on my computer....
          I watched Cheryl Baker instead.
          I did get what looks like a good book out of the library this afternoon.
          "The Grim Almanac of Jack the Ripper's London 1870-1900" by Neil .R.Storey.
          Anyone read it,by any chance??
          How can Jack the Ripper's London be from 1870 to 1900 when the dear chap operated only in 1888? Who is Neil R Storey? Who for that matter is Cheryl Baker?

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            Who for that matter is Cheryl Baker?
            She used to be in a modern rhythm group called, I believe, "Buck's Row".
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Drinking the Fizzy stuff!
              Ahem....yes,let's get serious...
              Right Graham,
              Only got it a couple of hours ago,but it's quite an interesting read.It sort of goes on a daily basis covering the years mentioned,like in a diary,and gives you things that happened on that day...
              It features Jack quite heavily,with a touch of London mixed in for good measure.
              Got lots of good and interesting info,and nice pictures maps and drawings.Pubished in 2004,has photo's in it with Stuarts name below them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                She used to be in a modern rhythm group called, I believe, "Buck's Row".
                Ah yes. I believe such musical (so-called) rhythm singers tend to go under the generic name of The Beetles, unless I much mistake. A sort of syncopated darkie-type stuff, yes? They play banjos and beat drums, I believe. And wail in a language known to neither man nor beast.

Graham
                Last edited by Graham; 07-05-2008, 01:09 AM.

Comment

How can Jack the Ripper's London be from 1870 to 1900 when the dear chap operated only in 1888?
                  I'm sure it was intended to help sales, but the idea is that it covers the poor and criminals in London throughout a time period adjacent to the Ripper. It's certainly a good book for getting the feel of the time and place in short little clips of writing.

And I'm obligated to point out that we certainly don't know that Jack only operated in 1888.

Who is Neil R Storey?
                  A prolific author of many books on dark topics and geographical areas.

Dan Norder
                  Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                  Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

The folks that made this C5 programme are the same ones I did the programme for earlier this year that should be shown before the year is out.

Neil Storey is a friend of both SPE and myself. He's a very nice chap, highly knowledgeable on many different crimes and mysteries. He also has a personal Black Museum not quite as good as Stewart's but better than mine!

I understand the book does contain some errors - but which doesn't? - but it's a really nice piece and one I'd certainly recommend. Lots of lovely photos in it too.

PHILIP
                    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

I saw this.....thought it was pretty interesting.

I dont get this geo profiling though....you could just as easily draw a circle that encompasses the five (assuming there were five) murder sites and say he probably lived on whatever street is nearest the middle of the circle....or am I missing something?

I thought the photofit was quite well done too, but he still looked a bit too sinister in it to me....sort of your achetypal villain chappy.

Comment

i thought the show was a bit hit and miss. some of the conclusions seem a little pointless, its really just to show off the 'talent' of some psychologist.
                        if mickey's a mouse, and pluto's a dog, whats goofy?

Comment

And I recorded it...THEN realised I'd already seen it......
                          Steve

Comment

Not bad, the reconstructions looked good.
                            But if the title already contains a mistake (Jack wasnt the first) it doesnt give much hope...
                            The shawl was new for me though, shame there was no DNA on it, there should be some stuff left somewhere with some DNA...
                            It wasn't me.

Comment

Working...
                            X