25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David Orsam
    The first person to reveal a source for the Crawshaw quote was Mike Barrett himself. Quite an achievement for an incompetent and incapable person.

Originally posted by caz View Post
    Crashaw actually. Even Mike Barrett knew that.
    But did he know the source before searching for it in the small but very clearly marked section on English Literature at Liverpool's Central Library in the second half of 1994, when desperately seeking something - anything - to support his master forger claim?

I suspect you don't know and neither did Melvin.
    Except Harrison knew. She had learned that Barrett had a copy in his attic all along and despite her open attempts to rectify it...she couldn't.

One of the most comical things about this whole saga is how the people involved kept tripping over each other.
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
      I've been taking a look at "Ripper Diary: The Inside Story" by Linder, Morris and Skinner (2003).

In that book we are told that Barrett's original story (before he confessed to forging it) was that he received the Diary in May or June 1991 and that he started research work in August 1991.

Thus:

"From August 1991, working on an Amstrad computer…Barrett began to compile notes on the Ripper and the background to the Whitechapel murders gleaned from these books, notes that he would later hand over to Harrison."

So what do we have here? Barrett was apparently making his notes on a computer! That would explain why they were "re-typed" by Anne.

Or does it? If Mike already typed his notes why did Anne need to re-type them? And didn't someone mention earlier in this thread that Anne might have had to type the notes because of legibility issues? But if Mike was typing onto his computer what possible problem could there have been with legibility? Why were the notes as typed by Mike not preserved?

Of course, Mike couldn't have lugged his Amstrad down to the Liverpool library so he must have had some original manuscript notes made in the library.

So have I got this right? His original handwritten research notes have been destroyed? His typed up version of these notes have also been destroyed? What we have are a third generation version of the notes re-typed (for some reason) and "tidied up" by Anne, but not for any reasons of legibility?

And then how did Shirley Harrison’s information and input get into those notes? I simply have no idea!
      Actually David, I understand his Amsterdam was one of the first portable computers, Strewth I used to sell them and remember them well, I'll look for a photo. So while all he needed to take was the floppy (which he said he had reformatted to save a quid) he could actually gave taken his amstrad.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Here we go
        Attached Files
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
          Here we go
          That thing was portable? Did it come with its own trolley or something?
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            That thing was portable? Did it come with its own trolley or something?
            It folded up ad was about te side of a briefcase.
            G U T

Comment

• Yes but GUT that's a Amstrad PPC 512. According to Melvin Harris, Barrett owned an Amstrad PCW 8256, a very different beast. I had one myself in the late 1980s. The monitor was huge. It certainly was not portable.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                It folded up ad was about te side of a briefcase.
                Ah! Having nothing to compare it with, it just looked so chunky.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• I think I'll stick to my IPad
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Apologies for misspelling Paul Feldman's name in an earlier post. Did not overwrite my auto-correct.
                    Best Wishes,
                    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                      Yes but GUT that's a Amstrad PPC 512. According to Melvin Harris, Barrett owned an Amstrad PCW 8256, a very different beast. I had one myself in the late 1980s. The monitor was huge. It certainly was not portable.
                      Ok I was certain I read he had a portable one, but I actually thought it was the boxier one. But it was an Olivetti
                      Attached Files
                      G U T

Comment

• Is it strictly coincidental that the most idiosyncratic letter in the diarist's handwriting is the letter K? Or does that letter hold some special meaning for the writer?

Sorry, just dropping by to raise a little Cain. See you in another 7 years. Where's Omlor these days? The Mar-a-Logo clinic for writer's cramp?
                        Last edited by rjpalmer; 08-20-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Hi Roger,

Good to see you up and about.

Regards,

Simon
                          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
                            Is it strictly coincidental that the most idiosyncratic letter in the diarist's handwriting is the letter K? Or does that letter hold some special meaning for the writer?

Sorry, just dropping by to raise a little Cain. See you in another 7 years. Where's Omlor these days? The Mar-a-Logo clinic for writer's cramp?
                            If you turn the letter K ninety degrees to the right it resembles the profile of a table. Of course the killer put flaps of skin removed from poor Mary Kelly on a table. That could definitely, most probably, in all certainty, be a link.

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
                              If you turn the letter K ninety degrees to the right it resembles the profile of a table. Of course the killer put flaps of skin removed from poor Mary Kelly on a table. That could definitely, most probably, in all certainty, be a link.
                              Of course, if you turn the letter K ninety degrees to the left, it looks like an underscored V. Evidently, the writer is underlining the importance of the inverted "V"s on Eddowes' face, which - of course - make an "M" when joined together.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                                Of course, if you turn the letter K ninety degrees to the left, it looks like an underscored V. Evidently, the writer is underlining the importance of the inverted "V"s on Eddowes' face, which - of course - make an "M" when joined together.
                                Sounds good to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X