• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Chuck

Chucks Berry died aged 90.

Performing to the end.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

He was the man. A true original and none better.

Rest in Peace, Chuck.

c.d.

Comment

A quick story about Chuck. I saw him years and years ago. He was playing at a soccer half time show in Tampa. As soon as he came out it was apparent that he really did not want to be there and was probably just there to pick up a few bucks and get the IRS off his back. It was a rainy night and he started to play a few uninspired chords of Johnny B. Goode. He got about 30 seconds into the song when the power went off and he had to leave the stage. After a few minutes they solved the problem and he came back on again playing listlessly only to have it happen again. Now it took them about ten minutes to get everything back and running. I don't know what happened to Chuck during that time but he must have gotten pissed off. Anyway, when he came back out the third time it was like he was reborn and he absolutely tore it up. Played behind his back and did his famous duck walk. The crowd went crazy. It was Chuck at his best.

c.d.

Comment

Elvis might have been the king of rock and roll but chuck berry was the father of rock and roll.

It's been widely assumed that rock and roll started when white performers like Elvis started play"black" music rhythm and blues. And that basically they stole the music.

Actually they were all coming to it from different angles. Hank WILLIAMS honky Tonk country is one step away from rock. MOve it on over is basically a rock and roll song.

And of course, rhythm and blues and the sped up jazz was coming to it as well. It's basically when the country and rythm and blues merged that rock music was born. And were did this acknowledgement come from? None other than chuck berry himself, who said Rock and roll was born when he started playing "hillbilly" music.
        Go figure.
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

"Elvis might have been the king of rock and roll but chuck berry was the father of rock and roll."

Very well put there, Abby.

c.d.

Comment

He also bought a restaurant and wired spy cameras in the ladies restroom.

But yeah, musical legend.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
              He also bought a restaurant and wired spy cameras in the ladies restroom.

But yeah, musical legend.
              Never heard about that. He was kind of weird dude. Quirky and he could moody, as well as quite the prick.

When Keith Richards played with him he said he could be rather "tough" on him, and I have new found respect for him putting up with it. In the clips I saw Richards had the patience of a saint.
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

He also had his problems with the IRS:

In 1979 the rock 'n' roll legend was sentenced to four months in jail and 1000 hours of community service when the IRS found Chuck Berry of evading $200,000 in taxes.

c.d.

Comment

Sad day for music with another great, Chuck Berry, leaving us.

Also, in NYC, the columnist writer Jimmy Breslin passed away.

Comment

Working...
                  X