This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by moonbegger View Post
    Can anyone tell me if this old wall that sits behind the old Whitechapel workhouse infirmary site to the east of Valence rd ( Bakers row ) , is the same one that was part of the original structure in 1888 ??? cheers .
    Certainly looks old enough

Comment

• Certainly looks old enough
      Hello Warspite , Yes I have arrived at the same conclusion , the wall runs along the same footprint as the old workhouse site maps , with a couple of more recent brick ups scattered here and there .. I'm guessing rear entrance fill in . The photo is taken from what would have been an inside the workhouse grounds perspective .

cheers

moonbegger

Comment

• Winfield Street

Hi there,

I am trying to find Winfield Street, Spitalfields. I have seen a couple of references to it on the Old Bailey Online website, but can't seem to place it on any modern or Victorian map. Can anyone help?

Regards,

MrB

Comment

• Hi MrBarnett,

Maybe it was the Wentworth Street or at least a part of it, and on the corner (Old) Castle Street / Wentworth Street, not far from George Street and George Yard. Part of Wentworth Street between Commercial Street and Brick Lane?

Have a look here:

A searchable online edition of the Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913.

“he stooped and wrapped something up, and after he had wrapped it up, he ran into Whitechapel, into Castle-alley. When he got up Castle-alley, he ran until he got into Castle-street. He ran to the top of Castle-street, and got into some house in Castle-street, on the right hand side; then when I came up to the house it was Mr. John Price 's, the pawnbroker. I turned round on my left hand into Winfield-street;”

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t17610401-33&div=t17610401-33&terms=Winfield|Street#highlight

“At one Ellis's, in Winfield-street, near George-yard

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t17911026-16&div=t17911026-16&terms=Winfield|Street|George|Street#highlight

“Coming down Winfield-street , the 25th of this month, about twelve on Saturday night, this girl took my hat off, and put it on her head; I asked her for it, she run away, she run into her lodgings in George-street, Spitalfields;”

The street was so named after Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Cleveland who owned much land in the area in the 1630s and 1640s, although early maps call it 'Wentford Street'[2] and 'Winford Street'[3], probably both unintentional errors.

“DORANT, William Worked circa. 1800-1826 Spitalfields, London UK. Established at 63 Winfield Street, Brick Lane. Undistinguished work. [Meredith-Morris]”

Best regards.

Comment

• Hi S.Brett,

Many thanks, you're a gent.

I should have read the first OB example a little more carefully. It's pretty clear from that that we are talking about Wentworth Street. I did suspect Wentworth Street, but couldn't find it being called Winfield on any map.

FYI, the question arises from an address given in Christ Church Spitalfields birth register. I suspect the people involved to have been living in Angel Alley at the time. Perhaps too grotty and sordid to admit to, so they chose the nearest half-decent street. Or just like the example of the violin man above, they considered their address to be Angel Alley, Winfield Street ( i.e. the northern end ).

Thanks again.

MrB

Comment

• Ripper Street

Can anyone throw any light on these chaps from the begining of Ripper Street?

Pat
              Attached Files

Comment

• And This East-End street from an old book I found?

Cant read the street name. Its the Sally Army I believe....Pat
                Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks to all for these wonderful photos, drawings, and posts! I've just spent three snowy indoor days reading every one!

Comment

• Has anyone come across a photograph that takes in the corner of Sander Street and Back Church Lane by any chance ? I have seen the one on the "St George in the East" site but the corner I want is just out of sight. It may be that a shot from the Commercial Road looking down Back Church Lane might get it, but not the current view, Sander Street disappeared in about 1960.
                    Thanks
                    Setve

Comment

• Rusteze:

I don't know if this is what you want but it is a photo of a Sander Street as it was being demolished.

Scroll down to the last row of images, Sander is in the middle. There is also another photo of Sander pre-demolishing. I'll try to find it.

Update. Here is the pre-demolished photo, but it is from stgite, so you probably have already seen it. http://www.stgite.org.uk/library/sanderstreet1957.jpg
                      Last edited by DrummondStreet; 02-16-2014, 02:52 AM. Reason: Change "bomb" to "demolish"

Comment

• Many thanks, havn't seen that one and it shows a little more of the corner on the left. I think I need a shot looking down Back Church Lane from the North end to see it properly. My family lived there in Victorian times.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by DrummondStreet View Post
                          Here is the pre-demolished photo, but it is from stgite, so you probably have already seen it. http://www.stgite.org.uk/library/sanderstreet1957.jpg
                          A super old East End photo there.

Exactly as the street would have looked in Victorian times.
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• http://www.stgite.org.uk/williamson.html

Take a look at this. Bottom of the page.

Comment

• Rusteze: Do you have the specific street number? I'm intrigued now. And Sander Street might have been named "Charles St." pre-JTR, if I'm reading the old maps correctly.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrummondStreet View Post
                                Rusteze: Do you have the specific street number? I'm intrigued now. And Sander Street might have been named "Charles St." pre-JTR, if I'm reading the old maps correctly.
                                Charles Street was renamed Sander Street around about 1869

Comment

Working...
                                X