Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letters: Authentic or Hoaxes

hey everyone,

I wanted to start this thread because I've always found the Ripper letters to be one of the most fascinating aspects of the case. While I do believe that the majority of them are hoaxes, I don't think we can definitely say that every, single one of them is fake. We all know kilelrs do sometiems communicate via letters to press or police so I do think it is at least possible that one or more of the letters is fro mthe actual killer and I'm not necessarily talking about the "Dear Boss," "Saucy Jack" or "From Hell" letter either. Those are the ones that receive the most attention, but we have to remember HUNDREDS of letters were sent that were allegedly from the killer. So, what I wanted to discuss in this thread is to get everyone's opinion to see if any letters you think are: very fascinating, disturbing, or even likely to have come from the killer. Remember, some of the letters state that JTR is not claiming responsibility for some murders and that he has moved to other locations, so I think those are quite interesting. If you have the book "Jack the Ripper: Letters From hell," I would suggest you comb through that book and see if any of them catch your eye. I'll start...

One of the ones I found particularly interesting was the October 1888 letter that was sent from Philadelphia, in which the killer says he did not have time to finish his work with the "London Whores" and has gone on to New York and then Philadelphia. Now, obviously, I don't think this is from the Ripper since Mary Kelly was killed in early November 1888, (if yo ucount her as a JTR victim, that is), but I thought it was interesting since I am from Philadelphia. Mr. Richard Jones was kind enough to make a reproduction of that one in his Casebook publication (Thanks again, Richard!) And I'm sure our mutual friend (and my fellow city-dweller) Howard Brown would agree. LOL

Anyway, please let me know which ones you think are the most intriguing and let me know especially if you think it's possible (not likely, not definitely, but possible) to have come from the killer. Thanks again!
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

And I'm sure our mutual friend (and my fellow city-dweller) Howard Brown would agree. LOL

Your mutual friend,pal...I'm on me own over here.

I'd consider the possibility that the Lusk letter may have been legitimate...simply and unscientifically because I think its less likely to have been a joke ( As,ironically,a similar series of jokes were carried out nearly contemporaneously in our beloved Murder City back in the 1870's by college students from Penn who left human organs on porches and in mailboxes out on W.Market St. (all the way towards the Schuykill and near Baltimore Pike) )... due to the effort involved which seems a little excessive meaning the letter.

I've yet to find ( not that this proves anything,of course ) an example of someone sending a human organ to someone else with a note or concomitant letter )...like "Here you go,Mr. Jones...eat this !"

To me,its as if the content ( the letter's content ) demonstrates a sickness in the author ( the address,From Hell, and the wording ) hard to imagine being only a joke. Thats just an opinion and I know it runs contrary to the status quo.

In other words, just sending an organ was a sick joke...but the content ( the address and wording) sort of takes the whole thing to a different level....at least to me. For someone to send the letter & kidney together required more than just sitting down and writing a letter. I completely disagree that anyone inside the MEVC would even consider something of this nature, as they were businessmen, not college kibbitzers or idle wankers who wanted to upset Lusk.

Comment

Yeah, Howard. I've always felt the "From Hell" letter to be the most likely authentic one of the famous letters. I've always wondered if it was meant to be a taunting letter or a plea for help (if it was from the killer, of course). Because he says "I may send you the bloody knife...if you only wait a while longer" and, notice he writes "catch me WHEN you can," not "Catch me IF you can." Also, there is no "ha ha" or JTR signature for this one. The address may also reflect his state of mind as well. I mean, what exactly are we to make of the letter originating "From Hell." Maybe it means that while he enjoys commiting the crimes as they occur, later on, he reflects on his deeds and realizes he wants to stop, but can't help himself. I dunno.

Also, Howard (and anyone else who wants to comment), on pg. 110-111 of "letters From Hell," check out the letter that was sent out on November 11, 1888...while not from the killer, the letter is particularly "colorful" and very frank in the language. In short, a very angry man.
      I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

To me From Hell is the only correspondence that I have seen that could have been from the killer known as Jack the Ripper.

However, Kate is also a questioned inclusion in the Ripper roster by a contemporary medical authority....so even if the section was Kates, does that mean for certain it was Jack who wrote the letter?

Im with Howard on insitincts....I think this one letter and package is "small" enough, mailed to a source that is intimate rather than a news broadcast, and it included a specimen that would be difficult for an average person to obtain....narrowing the source possibilities dramatically.

Cheers all

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
          However, Kate is also a questioned inclusion in the Ripper roster by a contemporary medical authority....
          Who would he be, Mike? Please substantiate - but, please, on an Eddowes-specific thread.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Baxters final remarks, likely based in part on Phillips earlier press comments.

I dont have to expound on that at all Sam.

All the best Moriarty

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
              I dont have to expound on that at all Sam
              I'm so glad, Mike.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why the author of "From Hell" chose Lusk to send it to? On its face it seems obvious, given Lusk's position, but that's speaking from my own firmly middle class, "respectable" perspective.

But if the sender was a poor, not too terribly literate immigrant lunatic, how aware would he have been of the gentleman who was head of the Vigilance Committee? Wouldn't it have been off his radar? Or was Lusk a well-known name on the streets at the lowest level? Was the sender of the "lowest level", come to that?
                Last edited by JennyL; 09-21-2009, 02:10 AM. Reason: misspellings!

Comment

Originally posted by JennyL View Post
                  Does anyone have any thoughts as to why the author of "From Hell" chose Lusk to send it to? ... was Lusk a well-known name on the streets at the lowest level?
                  Lusk's name AND address had recently been splashed all over the papers. Talk about asking for trouble...
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Poor Annie

Hello. Mr. Mason, your dictum:

"To me From Hell is the only correspondence that I have seen that could have been from the killer known as Jack the Ripper."

may need just a slight emendation given that the Poor Annie letter might have been written by the same hand. See my pdf under the "Process of Elimination" thread, General Discussion.

Best Rgds,

LC

Comment

Hi
                      The Letter that fascinates me the most was the Telegram sent to Inspector Abberline c/o Scotland yard written in red ink dated 21st Nov 88'
                      ...Jack The Ripper wishes to give himself up will Abberline communicate with him at Number 39, Cutler street Houndsditch with this end in view .
                      This is written with the 'Blood of Kelly' all long Liz's blood is used up...
                      This is one of two letters written to either police , or press, the other was a correspondence written regarding Hanbury street, that is not quoted in the publication 'Letters from hell'.
                      It is because the number 39 is clearly mentioned that personally I feel it is authenticaly from the killer.
                      And one can also see that the term Long Liz is used given the six victims as TABRAMNICHOLSCHAPMANLONGLIZEDDOWESKELLY, which equal 39 letters. that along with all the other 39 coincidences?? tend to make me take that letter as significant.
                      Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                        Hello. Mr. Mason, your dictum:

"To me From Hell is the only correspondence that I have seen that could have been from the killer known as Jack the Ripper."

may need just a slight emendation given that the Poor Annie letter might have been written by the same hand. See my pdf under the "Process of Elimination" thread, General Discussion.

Best Rgds,

LC
                        Hi Lynn,

I see what youre saying, there are quite a few similar character nuances and the formation of the word "the" seems consistent in both letters. The content tone is decidedly different though....if From Hell was intended to scare Lusk it was by implication only, the letter "Poor Annie" that you compared it with is openly threatening. And decorated. Trying really hard to be convincing with the knife and the rings.....and the heart....Im assuming that this letter was received after the 5th Canonical death?

Cheers Lynn

Comment

One interesting letter that I came across while reading is the one postmarked "London, EC. Nov. 10, 1888." It was sent to Leman street police station. In it, the writer claims responsibilty for a recent murder (presumably Kelly's), He goes on and says "Those other letters were not written by me" and "some one has been kind enough to give me the name of 'Jack the Ripper' I'll accept it and act up to it. Look out for the next."

It's quite interesting because, even if it isn't authentic, the writer seems to have a very serious tone and denies writing previous letters. This sort of backs up my presumption that, even though most of the letters may not be real, they may not necessarily be "pranks," in the strictest sense of the word. Some of them may have been written by some very disturbed and delusional people.

Comment

Originally posted by JTRSickert View Post
                            One interesting letter that I came across while reading is the one postmarked "London, EC. Nov. 10, 1888... "Those other letters were not written by me" and "some one has been kind enough to give me the name of 'Jack the Ripper' I'll accept it and act up to it. Look out for the next."
                            That one happens to be my personal "favourite" amongst the letters, JTRS. The one thing that, for me, reduces the likelihood of its being from the killer is the very fact that it ends "look out for the next". It seems to me that the writer of this missive just couldn't resist the thought of signing-off with the threat of more murders. So many of the hoaxes - from Dear Boss onwards - seemed to adhere to this predictable pattern. If the author had left out that last line, I'd be more inclined to back this letter as being from the Ripper himself.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                              That one happens to be my personal "favourite" amongst the letters, JTRS. The one thing that, for me, reduces the likelihood of its being from the killer is the very fact that it ends "look out for the next". It seems to me that the writer of this missive just couldn't resist the thought of signing-off with the threat of more murders. So many of the hoaxes - from Dear Boss onwards - seemed to adhere to this predictable pattern. If the author had left out that last line, I'd be more inclined to back this letter as being from the Ripper himself.
                              Sammy,

Here's a thought though....What if, in fact, it was from the real JTR, but something happened to him before he could carry out his threat (i.e murdered or incapacitated)? Of course, it's just merely speculation.

How bout the Oct. 6, 1888 that isn't addressed to anyone specific, but seems to be directed at a witness? The one where the writer says, "if you though I dident see you now I know you know me and I see your little game, and I mean to finish you and send your ears to your wife if you show this to the police or help them if you do I will finish you. It no use your trying to get out of my way Because I have you when you don't expect it and I keep my word as you soon see and rip you up. Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper.....You see I know your address." Anyone care to speculate whom the letter was supposed to be directed at? Israel Schwartz or Joseph Lawende, or some other possible individual?

Comment

Working...
                              X