Asylum Records for Joseph Fleming / James Evans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asylum Records for Joseph Fleming / James Evans

"Four years after the Whitechapel murders, in 1892, Joseph Fleming was admitted to the Stone Asylum, the City of London asylum near Dartford, Kent. Some two and a half years later, in February 1895, he was transferred to Claybury Hospital at Woodford Bridge in Essex. He was still at Claybury when he died on 28 August 1920."

I am about to embark on trying to get access to any surviving asylum records for Evans/Fleming
    For the period when he was at the Stone Asylum, Dartford, patient records are held by the Corporation of London Records Office.
    The records for Claybury Asylum are held by the London Metropolitan Archive, I was initally told, although another source says that the patient records for 1895 to 1896 are held at the Wellcome Library. However, I have contacted the Wellcome today and they hold only a small group of case notes of a Dr Faulkner for those two years, and advise that the general patient records are not with them. It seems that the LMA do not hold the records either. The most likely location is at the Redbridge Records Office. I have spoken to a researcher there today and she advised that hospital and asylum records are subject to 100 year closure and, also, it may only be possible for a person with a documented family link to consult the patient records of an individual, so there may be complications. I am currently in contact with the Records Office at Ilford to see what the position is. Under the hundred year rule it MAY be possible to consult the records of a patient up to 1909 (100 years ago) or another interpretation may be that any patient whose stay at an asylum comes, even partly, within the 100 year rule will have their records closed to access.
    I am waiting for an interpretation of this to see if any access is possible.

The only reason I have described this at some length is that I do not want to
    1) Duplicate the efforts of other researchers or
    2) "steal the thunder" of any researcher who has already accessed this material and is intending to publish it
    In the latter case if you contact me either by private message or e-mail then I will hold back as someone is already pursuing this issue.
    Last edited by Chris Scott; 01-23-2009, 06:44 PM.

I wish you the very best of luck in your research endeavours, Chris!

I've only hit brick walls in my efforts to access any patient records for Claybury Asylum, and I sincerely hope you have more success. For what it's worth, I received the following reply from Redbridge Central Library:

"I am sorry to tell you that we have no record of Mr Joseph Fleming, alias James Evans. Although we do hold such records as have survived, these are very few and random, and do not include the ones of interest to you."

Deflating stuff, but I hope not entirely conclusive.

All the best,
    Ben

Comment

Many thanks, Ben, for your message
      Any info is helpful and your feedback is much appreciated
      Chris

Comment

Good luck with your efforts Chris, I know firsthand how much of a pain it is to spend months being thrown from pillar to post looking for certain files, but as time has progressed, and contacts have been made, the process is getting easier.

Fingers crossed, and if there is anything I can do, don't hesitate to get in touch.
        Regards Mike

Comment

many thanks, Mike
          Much appreciated
          Chris

Comment

You're very welcome, Chris.

The only other promising lead I've come across is the great-granddaughter of Mary Ann Fleming who compiled a detailed family tree some years ago. I haven't had much luck in my efforts to establish contact with her, but I could send you the details if you want to have a bash, and you'll probably be able to make better sense of the genealogical material than I can!

Best regards,
            Ben

Comment

Hi Ben
              I would be very grateful to have a look at the material you mention
              I am also trying to trace any Flemings who may have stayed locally here in Ramsgate. Although Joseph's father, Richard, moved from Ramsgate to London before Joseph was born, his uncle, Alfred, stayed in the town until his death and raised a family here
              Thanks again
              Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                For the period when he was at the Stone Asylum, Dartford, patient records are held by the Corporation of London Records Office.
                These records are now held by the LMA. Rob Clack checked them a few months ago for Kozminski/Abrahams entries, and he posted some details of the holdings here:

Comment

Very useful info Chris
                  Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                    "Four years after the Whitechapel murders, in 1892, Joseph Fleming was admitted to the Stone Asylum, the City of London asylum near Dartford, Kent. Some two and a half years later, in February 1895, he was transferred to Claybury Hospital at Woodford Bridge in Essex. He was still at Claybury when he died on 28 August 1920."
                    Interesting stuff, Chris.

Comment

Claybury Hospital was near where I went to school - in fact I was lucky I walked in the right door.

Comment

Robert writes:

"in fact I was lucky I walked in the right door"

Being ...?

All the best, Robert!
                        Fisherman

Comment

Just a quick update
                          Today I received the following reply from the Redbridge Record office about my query
                          Chris

Dear Chris Scott,
                          Thank you for supplying the information about the Claybury patient.
                          We have found a one-line reference to him in the admissions register, from when he transferred from Stone. It contains nothing that will be new to you. However, I shall follow the routine required of us, and ask the permission of the Health Authority to release the information to you. They are normally quick to deal with our requests, but occasionally there is a delay. I shall contact you again as soon as I hear from the Health Authority.
                          Yours sincerely,
                          Last edited by Chris Scott; 01-27-2009, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that, Chris. Most helpful.

I can't help but wonder why I was informed by the very same institution that there was "no" record of Joseph Fleming!

Best regards,
                            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                              I wish you the very best of luck in your research endeavours, Chris!

I've only hit brick walls in my efforts to access any patient records for Claybury Asylum, and I sincerely hope you have more success. For what it's worth, I received the following reply from Redbridge Central Library:

"I am sorry to tell you that we have no record of Mr Joseph Fleming, alias James Evans. Although we do hold such records as have survived, these are very few and random, and do not include the ones of interest to you."

Deflating stuff, but I hope not entirely conclusive.

All the best,
                              Ben
                              Ah, wish I had read this earlier! Just put in a new request at redbridge.

Comment

Working...
                              X