The Ripper's "Charm"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ripper's "Charm"

Hello everyone. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on some crucial assumption I think should be addressed. Does anyone think it possible that, in order to gain his victims' potential trust, he might have bought them gifts so that they would go with him? If we look at some witness statements, this seems to be the case; however, some of these statements are met with criticism and regarded as unreliable. But, if they are true, they seem to show that JTR could be a relative "charmer."

1. Polly Nichols-On the day of her murder, Polly seemed pretty confident to secure a client in order to get the money for her doss. She proclaimed, "See what a jolly bonnet I've got." Now, to me, this could be interpreted to mean that she was sure she had a client that day because a prospective "john" might have purchased and gave her the bonnet and they agreed to meet at a later time to conduct some "business" in Buck's Row. And, of course, we all know what happened later.

2. Elizabeth Stride-Now, this one is a little bit more difficult due to the reliability of Matt Packer as a witness. Now, we all know that his story kept changing, but he was persistent and his story, for the most part, was essentially the same. According to him, Liz Stride and an unknown gentleman came over and the man bought Liz some grapes. Now, Packer's unreliability and the fact that Stride wasn't found with grapes in her digestive system cast doubt on his version of events. But, we have to remember that Packer was elderly and it really depends on how many grapes Liz Stride ate in order for there to be traces in her stomach. If true though, it again shows how JTR liked to give his victims gifts (if he was, in fact, Stride's killer)

3. Catherine Eddowes- Forgive me, but I always get this one confused. Was it her who was found with a rose clipped to her dress was that Stride? If Eddowes, then it is possible that JTR was able to acquire the rose shortly after fleeing from Dutfield's Yard and gave it to Eddowes, possibly as she was conversing with him as the 3 Jews passed by a few yards away. If I'm incorrect and it was Stride who had the rose on her dress, then if Packer's statement is untrue, this rose could've been givento her by JTR earlier in the day since she seemed to be meeting several clients that night. he could've given her the rose and agreed to meet at a later time, similar to the Polly Nichols scenario

4. Mary Kelly- Now, this one again is pretty hard to determine due to the witness being George Hutchinson. His statement is good but it's been regarded as being "too good." If what he says is true though, Kelly complained about losing a neckerchief earlier in the day and the client who was with her (most likely the Ripper) was able to surprise her by giving her a red neckerchief. After that, she readily invited him in saying "Come dear, you will be comfortable." Yet again, another example of JTR's gift-giving.

So, what does it tell us in the end? Wel, if all statements above are true, it adds another facet to JTR's M.O. That of being a "charming" serial killer...someone who isn't a raving, bloodthirsty, impulsive, unplanned lunatic like some authors like to characterize him as being like. He has an Organized personality, buys his victims gifts, engages them in conversation, gain their trust, and have the attitude of a "gentleman." It also may possibly point out he came from a lower-middle class background (due to his money-spending and personality) and, while he was certainly familar with the East End, he may have been more economically viable than most of the residents living there.
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Derrida

Hello JTR. Given those reports, and given they were about Jack, I think your conjecture likely.

There are some post-modern philosophers (I think Derrida amongst them) who claim that evidence gets interpreted through our models. Let's examine some.

Suppose you think either Druitt or D'onston were the ripper. These chaps were educated and, when needs must, could exude a bit of charm. That also may be the case with Klosowski--perhaps to a somewhat lesser extent.

It would be less clear with the 2 K's--Kosminski and Kaminski (Cohen?). The same could be said for some of the second tier suspects like Bury and Cutbush.

So, if you are happy with one or other of the 2 D's, you will likely believe in a charming ripper. Else, you may need a rather non-descript type.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,

To be honest, I'm not really a big suspect person...at least as far as the oenes that have already been listed. If I had to choose one, I would go with Klosowski/Chapman, but that's another conversation.

Also, lynn (and everyone else), one thing I forgot to mention. If Hutch's statement is true, doesn't anyone find it coincidental that Kelly complains of losing a red handkerchief and, lo and behold, this stranger brings one out of his pocket and puts it on her neck? Coincidence...probably. But there is also an equally interesting hypothesis.

Perhaps JTR lifted it off MK when she wasn't looking or paying attention and, afterwards, presents her with the same neckerchief when they meet later. What better way to charm one into a woman's heart (in the Ripper's case, this statement can be taken both figuratively and literally)

And I forgot to also mention that serial killers can sometimes woo their victims...look at Bundy with his "arm-in-cast" M.O.
      I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

There is absolutely nothing in the witness statements that indicate Jack bought his victims any gift.

Only conjecture in news reports and subsequent books.

I suspect money was the only requirement to gain his victims attention. Given the finacial situation of Polly, Anne, Kate and Mary charm wouldnt have been high on their check list.

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi all,

With all due respect to the unfortunate victims, I don't believe it took any charm to convince an over-the-hill, alcoholic prostitute desperate for money to go along with the murderer. He was just another client.

-Honey
          -Honey

"Useless, useless."

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
            There is absolutely nothing in the witness statements that indicate Jack bought his victims any gift.

Only conjecture in news reports and subsequent books.

I suspect money was the only requirement to gain his victims attention. Given the finacial situation of Polly, Anne, Kate and Mary charm wouldnt have been high on their check list.

Monty
            Quite right Monty, and there is some physical evidence that suggests he stole property from the deceased....people with the means to buy gifts dont generally steal from the poorest people they can find.

All the best Monty

Comment

Hi JTRSickert,

I don't think of Bundy's arm cast as charming or wooing, more like deceit and trickery. To me, charming would have been meeting them at the library and striking up conversation, not dropping books repeatedly with an arm in a faux cast and relying on someone's good nature to offer to help and then clubbing them with a tire iron.
              -Honey

"Useless, useless."

Comment

Hi All,
                If charm can be seen as having the sort of personality that did not arouse fear,then the ripper must surely have had something of that sort of personality.He did manage to accompany his victims into dark corners and streets and particularly after Martha and Annie, there was a fair bit of panic around,even among those desperate for their doss money.I reckon the ripper was able to address his victims in a reasonably friendly and reasonably reassuring way.
                In the case of Klosowski ,whether or not he was the ripper,as an example of a serial murderer he seems to have had real powers of persuasion with women .His last victim, eighteen year old Maud Marsh, was besotted with him,according to her parents at the murder trial .She and he -as "newly weds" used to ride their bicycles together to visit her parents full of "togetherness" -yet in just a few short months of these visits he was planning to kill her while chatting up and "proposing" to another very young barmaid at his pub,and suggesting to her that she should "run away with him".Prior to Maud he had "married" the middle aged ,Bessie Taylor with whom he had also enjoyed the joys of cycling and "marital togetherness"before deciding to kill her.And it wasnt just women he had a way with---he had even "got round" the Southwark police to let him join the newly formed" police cycling club" around this time.I think he must have had,like Bundy, plenty of "charm" or charisma.
                Norma
                Last edited by Natalie Severn; 10-11-2009, 12:29 AM.

Comment

You didn't need to be "charming" or "charismatic" to put an alcoholic, middle-aged Spitalfields prostitute at ease. I think Poorhoney makes an excellent point regarding Bundy. He didn't coerce their submission through any excess of charm. He simply resorted to lies and subterfuge. I believe Dennis Nilsen observed once that if he was as charismatic as Hannibal Lector, he would never have become a serial killer, and that his actions derived from "a feeling of inadequecy, not potency".

There is most assuredly no evidence that the killer of these prostitutes had any more charm or charisma than the average hawker or dock labourer.
                  Last edited by Ben; 10-11-2009, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Cos your average Hawker n Docker lacks such social grace Ben.

However I see your point, mainly cos I made it earlier.

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by poorhoney View Post
                      He was just another client.
                      Agreed. I don't think he would've needed to have sweet talked his victims either (using the term sweet talk very loosely). Hell, he could've been a filthy bastard for all we know, but I definitely wouldn't have thought he'd act especially charming, just normal.

Comment

[QUOTE=JTRSickert;101166]
                        Also, lynn (and everyone else), one thing I forgot to mention. If Hutch's statement is true, doesn't anyone find it coincidental that Kelly complains of losing a red handkerchief and, lo and behold, this stranger brings one out of his pocket and puts it on her neck? Coincidence...probably. But there is also an equally interesting hypothesis.

Perhaps JTR lifted it off MK when she wasn't looking or paying attention and, afterwards, presents her with the same neckerchief when they meet later. What better way to charm one into a woman's heart (in the Ripper's case, this statement can be taken both figuratively and literally)

QUOTE]

Maybe she knew JTR and mentioned the missing handkerchief to him earlier in the day and he brought her one that night when he visited.

I think all of his victims knew him and maybe even quite well. As in he was a long time aquanitance, friend, or regular customer. What better way to put them at ease he doen't need to woo or charm them. They dont suspect him of being the Ripper becouse they have known him for a while. Buying grapes, giving a rose, replacing a missing handkerchief are all things one might do when you are a long time aquanitance or friend.
                        'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                          You didn't need to be "charming" or "charismatic" to put an alcoholic, middle-aged Spitalfields prostitute at ease. I think Poorhoney makes an excellent point regarding Bundy. He didn't coerce their submission through any excess of charm. He simply resorted to lies and subterfuge. I believe Dennis Nilsen observed once that if he was as charismatic as Hannibal Lector, he would never have become a serial killer, and that his actions derived from "a feeling of inadequecy, not potency".

There is most assuredly no evidence that the killer of these prostitutes had any more charm or charisma than the average hawker or dock labourer.
                          Ben,
                          I know what you are saying here and you are possibly correct but it is recorded that many of the women who worked as part time prostitutes in the East End during the Ripper scare were just as terrified of being murdered as many other East Enders were.Mary Kelly was pretty scared,according to Joe Barnett.So how was the ripper able to allay any suspicion on her part that night?Granted she may have been out of her mind drunk but Georger Hutchinson doesnt say in his testimony that she was---only a bit "spreeish".But she was happy,apparently,to take him back to her room without any apparent worries.Why was that?
                          Best Norma
                          psst!I know YOU may think George Hutchinson made it all up but I dont and neither did Abberline nd several other police about at the time.

Comment

Hi, Nats--

Yes, the women were scared but obviously they still plied their trade or they otherwise would have died of starvation. Unless they were approached by the kind of man they feared in their imagination-- slavering lunatic with a bright shiny knife- they would have to go with whoever could put up the money. He guy didn't have to be charming or even nice. I'm sure they were very used to not nice.

It's likely, I think, that the killer was a regular customer of at least some of them and that his face was familiar around the area.
                            Mags

Comment

Hi Norma,

If Kelly wasn't murdered by an intruder who killed her as she slept, then she likely fell victim to someone posing as a client or acquaintance, and the "poser" in this instance needn't have been excessively charming or engaging to pull off such a false guise. The killer didn't need to be impressive so much as reassuring, and I suspect that if I found myself Kelly's shoes, I'd be most reassured by the type of individual described by Mags - a regular customer or nodding acquaintance. Prostitute killers tend invariably to be prostitute users, and the likes of Peter Sutcliffe and Steve Wright were no exception. The same was true, I suspect, in Jack's case.

I know YOU may think George Hutchinson made it all up but I dont and neither did Abberline nd several other police about at the time.
                              Not initially, perhaps, but given the strong indications that the statement was subsequently discredited, it's more than possible that Abberline came to revise that opinion. Who were the "several other police about at the time" who believed Hutchinson's statement?

Best regards,
                              Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X