Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

This video game - main action centring on an order of assassins in 1868, with a further "pay extra" 1888 "Ripper" level - employs a stylised virtual London of the era. It is available later in the week and a trial run video may be viewed here:

AC Syndicate Gameplay: Jacob and Evie Frye meet Victorian science man Charles Darwin and assassinate his science rival for the good of science, probably. Tak...

The Ripper DLC hasn't been given a release date yet. Doubtful it'll be day one or they would have said. Probably not until December at the earliest, after New Year is more likely.
    I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

I was gifted this as an early Christmas present. I'm still in the initial levels where I control an assassin hired to kill a bullying Croydon steelworks factory owner and have escaped by train to Croydon station. I doubt it is extremely accurate but the feel of 1868 is there - even if the too-lovely aesthetic errs on the Quality Street tin at times. It doesn't shrink from the fact that it is a fantasy - akin to a Victorian era 'Highlander - but there's an authentic aura to the environments.

Overall enjoyable with an immersive plot and action - I don't have the JtR "add on" but believe you can navigate your character to 1868 Whitechapel (or the game makers' version thereof) on completion of a few levels.

Comment

I never liked this franchise, mostly because of the gameplay (if you could control more intuitively the character like in the recent Batman franchise, I would love it)

But the universe is very interesting.

I thought my problem was with Ubisoft, the way they design controls. Recently I played the whole Watch Dogs and I can say they improved that a lot. I'm hopeful this one I will enjoy. I will definitely try it, when it becomes more affordable.

I wonder how they did their research, though, the game team being from Quebec City. (The other AC were also designed by a Quebec studio, but in Montreal.)
        Last edited by SirJohnFalstaff; 10-26-2015, 06:21 PM.
        Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
        - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
          I never liked this franchise, mostly because of the gameplay (if you could control more intuitively the character like in the recent Batman franchise, I would love it)

But the universe is very interesting.

I thought my problem was with Ubisoft, the way they design controls. Recently I played the whole Watch Dogs and I can say they improved that a lot. I'm hopeful this one I will enjoy. I will definitely try it, when it becomes more affordable.

I wonder how they did their research, though, the game team being from Quebec City. (The other AC were also designed by a Quebec studio, but in Montreal.)
          Ubisoft has an in house historian, Maxim Durand (I think that's the name) who oversees the research and they hire writers to do the detail research. Occasionally there are listings for these spots on their corporate site.

Comment

I recently heard about this game and am curious to see how it pans out. So would look forward to anyone's review of the Ripper DLC when it is released. How wonderful would it be if they decided to go the whole hog and have an game entirely based on the Whitechapel Murders!!!

The only one I'm aware of is the Sherlock Holmes Ripper game for the 360, if you haven't played it it's worth a punt.

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
              The only one I'm aware of is the Sherlock Holmes Ripper game for the 360, if you haven't played it it's worth a punt.
              You mean the Frogwares one, "Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper"? That franchise is for PC first of all, but they have also released some of their games for the 360. I rather enjoyed it, myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                You mean the Frogwares one, "Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper"? That franchise is for PC first of all, but they have also released some of their games for the 360. I rather enjoyed it, myself.
                Last two entries were designed primarily for console release.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
                  Ubisoft has an in house historian, Maxim Durand (I think that's the name) who oversees the research and they hire writers to do the detail research. Occasionally there are listings for these spots on their corporate site.
                  oh. interesting. Thanks.
                  - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
                    Last two entries were designed primarily for console release.
                    They have been expanding to several consoles with their last few titles, but all of them are still for PC as well. I do not think their expansion to consoles indicates a lesser focus on the PC market. Vs. Jack the Ripper was the first game which was also for 360.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                      They have been expanding to several consoles with their last few titles, but all of them are still for PC as well. I do not think their expansion to consoles indicates a lesser focus on the PC market. Vs. Jack the Ripper was the first game which was also for 360.
                      Last Testament & Crimes and Punishments were developed specifically for console platforms and ported to PC. The next one Devil's Daughter is being developed on Playstation 4 hardware with XboxOne & PC receiving ports. At one point there wasn't even supposed to be a PC release for LT, as I recall.
                      I mean they aren't going to abandon PC, that would be ridiculous, but their focus on that market has certainly deminished.

Comment

Hey ya'll!
                        I just wanna let you know that the Jack The Ripper gameplay is now available!
                        Of course to everyone who have the Season Pass...
                        “If I cannot bend heaven, I will raise hell.”

Comment

Originally posted by JadenCollins View Post
                          Hey ya'll!
                          I just wanna let you know that the Jack The Ripper gameplay is now available!
                          Of course to everyone who have the Season Pass...
                          Interesting. I guess I will wait until next year, with the game of the year edition for the whole package. Maybe then I will have upgraded to PS4.
                          - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
                            Interesting. I guess I will wait until next year, with the game of the year edition for the whole package. Maybe then I will have upgraded to PS4.
                            I just finished the JTR dlc gameplay, it's really amazing!
                            Attached Files
                            “If I cannot bend heaven, I will raise hell.”

Comment

I recently played the JTR DLC and found very little memorable about it. To save time, drag your mouse over the space below to see the spoilers:

In the game, JTR was once a student assassin mentored by your character, and was also once wronged by you. He takes revenge by killing 5 East End women, who were ALSO assassins (!!), then finally killing you. Clearly, this is not the best Ripper fiction we have ever seen.

The best fun can be had, actually, in the main game, where you not only get to visit 1868 London, but also, through a time warp, WWI London. And you get to meet many historical figures like Dickens, Darwin, a young Abberline in 1868, Churchill, Queen Victoria, etc. There is even a mission involving Spring-Heeled Jack where you have to jump from rooftop to rooftop to catch him. You get to visit Whitechapel in 1868, but unfortunately one finds no recognizable Ripper landmarks like Mitre Square or Dutfield's Yard. In terms of graphics, the densely populated London is well depicted with well-animated NPCs engaging in all sorts of activities such as laboring, playing balls, chatting, gathering in markets, pubs, train stations, etc., offering you a realistic picture of a bustling metropolis.

Still, I would consider this game mediocre, as there is very little that is memorable. The stories aren't memorable, and missions are repetitive. The game industry is filled with great designers and programmers, but doesn't have enough good writers. The best games of this kind (and this kind of games is called "open world" games, for those who don't know) are the Fallout games, which are the benchmark for this genre.
                              Last edited by YomRippur; 06-20-2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X