Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Stepney Workhouse"

Hi all,

The following was originally posted last week, in the "Swanson Marginalia" thread:

It would appear that the establishment of The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney in 1900, has provided a convenient explanation for one of the inconsistencies between the purported assertions of Donald Swanson and the documented fate of Aaron Kosminski.

However, we must avoid the temptation to push square pegs into round holes, when attempting to rationalize the obvious shortcomings of the so-called Swanson Marginalia.

The Bottom Line: With the possible exception of some sort of vernacular (perhaps used by Swanson), Mile End Old Town Workhouse was never known as “Stepney Workhouse”.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	669093
    1901 Census of England & Wales
    Description of Enumeration District
    Municipal Borough: The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney
    Registration District: Mile End Old Town
    Registration Sub-District: Mile End Old Town Eastern
    Enumeration District: Whitechapel Union Workhouse, South Grove, Mile End Old Town
    RG13_338_340-0162

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	669094
    Registration District: Whitechapel
    Registration Sub-District: Mile End New Town
    Enumeration District: Whitechapel Union Infirmary, Vallance Road, Mile End New Town
    RG13_304_306-0095

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	669095
    Registration District: St. George in the East
    Registration Sub-District: St. John
    Enumeration District: St. George in the East Workhouse, Raine Street, St. George in the East
    RG13_313_315-0553

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	669096
    Enumeration District: Mile End Old Town Workhouse, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town
    RG13_338_340-0190

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	669097
    Enumeration District: Mile End Old Town Infirmary, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town
    RG13_338_340-0220

Did each of these Poor Law institutions become “Stepney Something-or-Other”, with the establishment of The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, in 1900 ??? Obviously, they did not !!!

Did Mile End Road become “Stepney Road” ??? Did Whitechapel Road also become “Stepney Road” ??? What about St. George Street: Did it become “Stepney Street” ??? Let’s not forget Spitalfields Market and Shadwell Basin: Did they become “Stepney Market” and “Stepney Basin”, respectively ???

--- More to Follow
    Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2008, 09:47 PM.

What about these Poor Law institutions ???

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	652543
    Municipal Borough: The Metropolitan Borough of Poplar
    Registration District: Poplar
    Registration Sub-District: Bromley
    Enumeration District: Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard’s Street, Bromley St. Leonard
    RG13_351_353-0176

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	652544
    Municipal Borough: The Metropolitan Borough of Poplar
    Registration District: Poplar
    Registration Sub-District: Bromley
    Enumeration District: The City of London Union Infirmary, Bow Road, Bromley St. Leonard
    RG13_351_353-0111

Did each become “Poplar Something-or-Other”, with the establishment of The Metropolitan Borough of Poplar, in 1900 ??? Again, they obviously did not !!!

Did Bow Road become “Poplar Road” ??? What about Bromley High Street: Did it become “Poplar High Street” ??? Did it replace the existing “Poplar High Street” ??? Millwall Football Club continued to play on The Isle of Dogs until 1910: Why didn’t they become “Poplar Football Club” ???

Will any of the above Descriptions of Enumeration District read differently in the 1911 Census of England & Wales, when it becomes accessible in three years ??? No, they will not !!!

I realize I’m being somewhat obnoxious, but no attempt to circumvent the tough questions that must be asked of the so-called Swanson Marginalia, should go unchecked.

The notion that Mile End Old Town Workhouse came to be known as “Stepney Workhouse” has been in circulation for quite some time. I am quite certain that it was concocted to lend unwarranted credence to the margin notes purportedly written by Swanson and the so-called Polish Jew Theory.

------

Assuming that Swanson was in fact, the author of these notes:

- He may have had difficulty recalling the fact that Aaron Kosminski was admitted to Mile End Old Town Infirmary (located on the grounds of Mile End Old Town Workhouse)

- He may have been using some sort of vernacular reference to Mile End Old Town Infirmary

__ Colloquialisms abounded in Swanson’s day, and still do:

__ “Bromley Workhouse”
    __ “South Grove Workhouse”
    __ “Gray’s Inn Road Workhouse”
    __ “Baker’s Row Infirmary”
    __ “Shoe Lane Casual Ward”
    __ “Golden Lane Mortuary”
    __ “St. George’s in the East”
    __ “High Street, Stepney”
    __ “High Street, Norton Folgate”
    __ “High Street, Aldgate” ***

*** Remember that one, folks ???

- Or, perhaps he was referring to someone other than Aaron Kosminski

------

The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney was established in 1900, in accordance with the London Government Act, 1899; replacing what had been the following administrative units of The Metropolitan Board of Works:

Whitechapel District
    - The Liberty of Norton Folgate
    - The Old Artillery Ground
    - Christ Church Spitalfields
    - The Hamlet of Mile End New Town
    - Holy Trinity Minories
    - St. Mary Whitechapel (Middlesex)
    - The Liberty of Her Majesty’s Tower of London
    --- The Liberty of the Tower
    --- The Precinct of Old Tower Without
    --- The Tower
    - The Precinct of St. Katharine
    - St. Botolph Without Aldgate (Middlesex); a.k.a. "East Smithfield"

Mile End Old Town Parish
    - The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town

St. George in the East Parish
    - St. George in the East

Limehouse District
    - St. John of Wapping
    - St. Paul Shadwell
    - The Hamlet of Ratcliff
    - St. Anne Limehouse

Further east, The Metropolitan Borough of Poplar was born of a similar administrative unit of The Metropolitan Board of Works:

Poplar District
    - St. Mary Stratford Bow
    - Bromley St. Leonard
    - All Saints Poplar

The area encompassed by the two Metropolitan Boroughs constituted (1832-1867: Part Of) (1867-1918: The Whole Of) The Parliamentary Borough of Tower Hamlets. In 1965, they joined the Metropolitan Borough of Bethnal Green, in forming today’s London Borough of Tower Hamlets.

Each Poor Law institution (workhouse, infirmary, casual ward, etc…) belonged to its respective Poor Law Parish (i.e., Mile End Old Town) or Poor Law Union (i.e., Whitechapel), and was administered accordingly:

Whitechapel Poor Law Union (1837-1921); Whitechapel Poor Law Parish (1921-1925)
    - Holy Trinity Minories
    --- The Tower
    - St. Botolph Without Aldgate (Middlesex); a.k.a. "East Smithfield"

__ Whitechapel Union Workhouse, South Grove, Mile End Old Town (1872-1921)
    __ Whitechapel Union Infirmary, Charles Street / Baker’s Row / Vallance Road, Mile End New Town (1872-1921)

Mile End Old Town Poor Law Parish (1857-1925)

__ Mile End Old Town Workhouse, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town (1859-1925)
    __ Mile End Old Town Infirmary (located on the grounds of Mile End Old Town Workhouse)

St. George in the East Poor Law Parish (1836-1925)
    - St. George in the East

__ St. George in the East Workhouse, Raine Street, St. George in the East (1836-1925)
    __ St. George in the East Infirmary (located on the grounds of St. George in the East Workhouse)

Stepney Poor Law Union (1836-1921); Limehouse Poor Law Parish (1921-1925)
    - St. John of Wapping
    - St. Paul Shadwell
    - The Hamlet of Ratcliff
    - St. Anne Limehouse
    - The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town (1836–1857)

__ Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard’s Street, Bromley St. Leonard (1863-1921)
    __ Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, Devon’s Road, Bromley St. Leonard (1871-1930?) – A Poor Law infirmary, shared by the Poor Law Unions of Poplar and Stepney (Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum District) – If the “Kosminski” purportedly named by Swanson was in fact, entrusted to the care of the Guardians of Stepney Poor Law Union *, then he was in all likelihood, admitted to this facility, as opposed to Stepney Union Workhouse

* This would almost invariably have necessitated his being a resident of Stepney Poor Law Union (St. John of Wapping; St. Paul Shadwell; The Hamlet of Ratcliff; St. Anne Limehouse) or Poplar Poor Law Union (St. Mary Stratford Bow; Bromley St. Leonard; All Saints Poplar), as opposed to “his brother’s house in Whitechapel”

Poplar Poor Law Union (1836-1907); Poplar Borough Poor Law Parish (1907-1930)
    - St. Mary Stratford Bow
    - Bromley St. Leonard
    - All Saints Poplar

__ Poplar Union Workhouse, Poplar High Street, All Saints Poplar (1836-1907)
    __ Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, Devon’s Road, Bromley St. Leonard (1871-1930?) – A Poor Law infirmary, shared by the Poor Law Unions of Poplar and Stepney (Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum District)

Consolidation of London’s Poor Law geography within the framework of its Metropolitan Boroughs was not implemented until the 1920’s:

1857: Establishment of Mile End Old Town Poor Law Parish; Removal of The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town, from Stepney Poor Law Union

1858-1859: Construction of Mile End Old Town Workhouse

1861-1863: Construction of Stepney Union Workhouse, on acquired land in Bromley St. Leonard (Poplar Poor Law Union)

1868: Establishment of Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum District

1869-1871: Construction of Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum

1900: Establishment of The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, in accordance with the London Government Act, 1899; Existing Poor Law Parishes and Poor Law Unions remained fully intact, under the administration of their respective Board’s of Guardians

1907: Re-Designation of Poplar Poor Law Union as “Poplar Borough Parish” (cosmetic change)

1913: Discontinuation of the term “Workhouse” throughout most of the English Poor Law system (cosmetic change)

- Most workhouses assumed the designation “Poor Law Institution” or “Guardians’ Institution”; but some took on more colourful names:

- St. George in the East Workhouse became The House
    - Stepney Union Workhouse became Bromley House Institution
    - The City of London Union Infirmary became Bow Institution
    - Bethnal Green Workhouse became Waterloo House

- Interestingly, Shoreditch Poor Law Parish came under the jurisdiction of certain Acts, which pre-dated the Poor Law Amendment Act, 1834:

- Shoreditch Workhouse remained Shoreditch Workhouse

1921: Re-Designation of Whitechapel Poor Law Union as “Whitechapel Poor Law Parish” (cosmetic change); Re-Designation of Stepney Poor Law Union as “Limehouse Poor Law Parish” (cosmetic change)

1925: Establishment of new Stepney Poor Law Union, encompassing all of The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, and administered by a single Board of Guardians

- Whitechapel Poor Law Parish
    - Mile End Old Town Poor Law Parish
    - St. George in the East Poor Law Parish
    - Limehouse Poor Law Parish

-Finally, after all these years (from 1857), we again see a connection between Mile End Old Town and Stepney Poor Law Union. But, guess what: Swanson died in 1924 !!!

1927: Re-Designation of Stepney Poor Law Union as “Stepney Union Parish” (cosmetic change)

1930: Abolishment of English Poor Law system

I apologize for the manner, in which I have piled on the preceding information, in such an unorganized and somewhat redundant format. I would have preferred a fluid narrative, but simply don’t have the time to compose one.

My JtR project has finally begun to take shape; so, excepting the occasional visit, I will be absent from the message boards, for quite some time. I will be around, however, to clarify any of the above, if necessary.

Once Again;

The Bottom Line: With the possible exception of some sort of vernacular (perhaps used by Swanson), Mile End Old Town Workhouse was never known as “Stepney Workhouse”.

Colin

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	652545
    Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2008, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
      "With the possible exception of some sort of vernacular (perhaps used by Swanson), the Mile End Old Town Workhouse was never known as "Stepney Workhouse"."

I've always thought this and have argued that Swanson wouldn't have misnamed the Workhouse and mistakenly thought that the suspect had died soon after admission to the asylum.

However, Paul Begg, in The Facts, p. 378, writes that "the expanding Borough of Stepney absorbed Mile End Old Town in 1901, so when Swanson wrote nine years later, Mile End Old Town Workhouse was Stepney Workhouse."

Maybe a search of the Stepney Union, St. Leonard Street, records could reveal something (I don't think that Fido or Sugden covered these records, assuming that they still exist). Rob House accessed the Bromley (Stepney) Sick Asylum records and found Thomas Murray.
      Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
      However, Paul Begg, in The Facts, p. 378, writes that "the expanding Borough of Stepney absorbed Mile End Old Town in 1901, so when Swanson wrote nine years later, Mile End Old Town Workhouse was Stepney Workhouse."
      "was": Begg's emphasis.

Hi Scott,

I was acutely aware of Begg's assertion, when typing my initial post to this thread.

Colin Click image for larger version

ID:	652546

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

I'm sure you're absolutely right as far as the official designation goes. And there would have to be solid evidence before anyone could accept that MEOT Workhouse was known unofficially as Stepney Workhouse.

But I think it's fair to point out that the possibility isn't as outlandish as it may sound, because MEOT Workhouse was close to Stepney Green - the area that was known as Stepney, and where the word "Stepney" is likely to be printed on a map - whereas the Stepney Union Workhouse was more than a mile further east, in the area known as Bromley by Bow.

Chris Phillips
        I have not been able to find my reply to Chris, but will respond again when time permits.

ID:	652547
        Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2008, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
          But I think it's fair to point out that the possibility isn't as outlandish as it may sound, because MEOT Workhouse was close to Stepney Green - the area that was known as Stepney, and where the word "Stepney" is likely to be printed on a map - whereas the Stepney Union Workhouse was more than a mile further east, in the area known as Bromley by Bow.
          I have not been able to find my reply to Chris, but will respond again when time permits.
          My initial reply to Chris, was to the best of my recollection:

"... the possibility isn't as outlandish as it may sound,"

I agree, Chris !!! That's why I left ample room for:

the possible exception of some sort of vernacular (perhaps used by Swanson)
          After all, the Hamlets of Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town and Ratcliff, were the last remaining components of the Ancient Parish of St. Dunstan Stepney, until they too were designated Civil Parishes in 1866. This marked the point, at which St. Dunstan Stepney ceased to exist as a political entity; maintaining only its status as an Ecclesiastical Parish.

Also, bear in mind the fact that The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town was a component of Stepney Poor Law Union until 1857.

"... MEOT Workhouse was close to Stepney Green - the area that was known as Stepney,"

It is interesting to note that you mention Stepney Green:

__ Colloquialisms abounded in Swanson’s day, and still do:

__ “Bromley Workhouse”
          __ “High Street, Aldgate”

Aaron Kosminski was examined on February 6, 1891, at Mile End Old Town Infirmary, by Dr. Edmund King Houchin of 23 "High Street, Stepney".

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	652554
          1881 Census of England & Wales
          Registration District:
          Mile End Old Town
          Civil Parish: The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town
          Ecclesiastical Parish: St. Dunstan Stepney
          Enumeration District: 17
          Page: 62
          RG11_481_484-0299

151 Stepney Green
          Edmund K Houchin
          Head
          Physician
          Colchester

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	652555
          1881 Census of England & Wales
          Registration District:
          Mile End Old Town
          Page: 43
          RG11_481_484-0280

23 Stepney Green
          George H Werry
          Head
          City Missionary
          Reading

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	652556
          1891 Census of England & Wales
          Registration District:
          Mile End Old Town
          Page: 62
          RG12_306_307-0596

151 Stepney Green
          George H Werry
          Head
          Protestant Minister
          Reading

Edmund Houchin & Family are recorded as residents of 151 Stepney Green (a.k.a. "High Street, Stepney"), Mile End Old Town, in the 1881 census. They do not seem to be apparent in the 1891 returns; and in 1901, they turn up in Ilford.

It is entirely possible that they resided at 23 Stepney Green, Mile End Old Town, in February 1891, or that Houchin conducted his practice there.

There seems to be some other connection, however, between numbers 23 & 151 Stepney Green, in going from 1881 to 1891: Namely, George H Werry & Family.

Either way, the use of vernacular can confuse any landscape, and should therefore be avoided. While some of the examples listed above, can cause little-to-no confusion (i.e., "Shoe Lane Casual Ward"), and admittedly are quite harmless; others can cause a great deal of confusion (i.e., "Bromley Workhouse"), and quite literally are detrimental to our understanding of this case. Our beloved "Stepney Workhouse", of course, falls into the latter category, when used in any context other than an abbreviated reference to Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard's Street, Bromley St. Leonard.

ID:	652557
          Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2008, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Name:	11.JPG
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	652558
            Mile End Old Town Workhouse, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town
            Foundation Stone, October 2007

Name:	12.JPG
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	652559
            Mile End Old Town Workhouse, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town
            from Southwest, October 2007

ID:	652560

Comment

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	652561
              Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard's Street, Bromley St. Leonard
              from Southwest, c. 1930's

Name:	14.jpg
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	652562
              Site of Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard's Street, Bromley St. Leonard
              2006 Aerial
              Green Dot:
              Approximate Location, from which Following Photograph was Taken

Name:	15.JPG
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	652563
              Site of Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard's Street, Bromley St. Leonard
              from Northeast, October 2007

ID:	652564

Comment

Name:	16.jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	652565
                Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, Devon's Road, Bromley St. Leonard
                from West, c. 1905

Name:	17.JPG
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	652566
                from West, October 2007

Name:	18.JPG
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	652567
                from Southwest, October 2007

Name:	19.JPG
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	652568
                from Southeast, October 2007

ID:	652569

Comment

Maybe a search of the Stepney Union, St. Leonard Street, records could reveal something (I don't think that Fido or Sugden covered these records, assuming that they still exist). Rob House accessed the Bromley (Stepney) Sick Asylum records and found Thomas Murray.
                  Point of Clarification:

__ Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, Devon’s Road, Bromley St. Leonard

If the “Kosminski” purportedly named by Swanson was in fact, entrusted to the care of the Guardians of Stepney Poor Law Union *, then he was in all likelihood, admitted to this facility, as opposed to Stepney Union Workhouse.

* This would almost invariably have necessitated his being a resident of Stepney Poor Law Union (St. John of Wapping; St. Paul Shadwell; The Hamlet of Ratcliff; St. Anne Limehouse) or Poplar Poor Law Union (St. Mary Stratford Bow; Bromley St. Leonard; All Saints Poplar), as opposed to “his brother’s house in Whitechapel”

Each Poor Law institution (workhouse, infirmary, casual ward, etc…) belonged to its respective Poor Law Parish (i.e., Mile End Old Town) or Poor Law Union (i.e., Stepney), and was administered by a Board of Guardians. Each Guardian represented the Civil Parish, which constituted the Poor Law Parish itself, or one of the Civil Parishes within the Poor Law Union. They were elected by those residents of their respective Civil Parishes, who were assessed the Poor Rate (welfare tax). The Boards of Guardians were thus compelled to administer Poor Relief (welfare) as economically as possible.

Therefore, excepting cases of extreme urgency and other extenuating circumstances covered by the Poor Law Amendment Act, 1834, applicants were rarely admitted to a Parish/Union Infirmary or Workhouse unless they had residence within the boundaries of the respective Poor Law Parish or Poor Law Union.

---------

Whitechapel Poor Law Union (1837-1921); Whitechapel Poor Law Parish (1921-1925)
                  - Holy Trinity Minories
                  --- The Tower
                  - St. Botolph Without Aldgate (Middlesex); a.k.a. “East Smithfield”

__ Whitechapel Union Workhouse, South Grove, Mile End Old Town (1872-1921)
                  __ Whitechapel Union Infirmary, Charles Street / Baker’s Row / Vallance Road, Mile End New Town (1872-1921)

---------

Mile End Old Town Poor Law Parish (1857-1925)

__ Mile End Old Town Workhouse, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town (1859-1925)
                  __ Mile End Old Town Infirmary (located on the grounds of Mile End Old Town Workhouse)

---------

St. George in the East Poor Law Parish (1836-1925)
                  - St. George in the East

__ St. George in the East Workhouse, Raine Street, St. George in the East (1836-1925)
                  __ St. George in the East Infirmary (located on the grounds of St. George in the East Workhouse)

---------

- St. John of Wapping
                  - St. Paul Shadwell
                  - The Hamlet of Ratcliff
                  - St. Anne Limehouse

__ Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard’s Street, Bromley St. Leonard (1863-1921)
                  __ Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, Devon’s Road, Bromley St. Leonard (1871-1930?) – A Poor Law infirmary, shared by the Poor Law Unions of Poplar and Stepney (Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum District) – Again; if the “Kosminski” purportedly named by Swanson was in fact, entrusted to the care of the Guardians of Stepney Poor Law Union *, then he was in all likelihood, admitted to this facility, as opposed to Stepney Union Workhouse

*Again; this would almost invariably have necessitated his being a resident of Stepney Poor Law Union (St. John of Wapping; St. Paul Shadwell; The Hamlet of Ratcliff; St. Anne Limehouse) or Poplar Poor Law Union (St. Mary Stratford Bow; Bromley St. Leonard; All Saints Poplar), as opposed to “his brother’s house in Whitechapel”

---------

Poplar Poor Law Union (1836-1907); Poplar Borough Poor Law Parish (1907-1930)
                  - St. Mary Stratford Bow
                  - Bromley St. Leonard
                  - All Saints Poplar

__ Poplar Union Workhouse, Poplar High Street, All Saints Poplar (1836-1907)
                  __ Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, Devon’s Road, Bromley St. Leonard (1871-1930?) – A Poor Law infirmary, shared by the Poor Law Unions of Poplar and Stepney (Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum District)

---------

OK !!! This was intended to be a point of clarification, but it would appear that I have simply piled on even more mumbo jumbo.

So, here it is, in a nutshell:

Aaron Kosminski was taken specifically to Mile End Old Town Infirmary for one very simple reason: He lived in Mile End Old Town !!!

Whitechapel Union Infirmary and St. George in the East Infirmary were both located in closer proximity to his Sion Square and Greenfield Street addresses. But, Mile End Old Town Infirmary was the only Poor Law infirmary, to which he was eligible to gain admission.

This does not necessarily conflict however, with Swanson’s purported reference to “his brother’s house in Whitechapel”, as each of these two addresses could have been easily mistaken for having been in “Whitechapel”.

On the other hand; for any suspect, be it the “Kosminski” purportedly named by Swanson, or anyone else for that matter, to have gained admission to either Stepney Union Workhouse or Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, he would have been required to have had residence in one of the following:

- St. John of Wapping
                  - St. Paul Shadwell
                  - The Hamlet of Ratcliff
                  - St. Anne Limehouse
                  - St. Mary Stratford Bow
                  - Bromley St. Leonard
                  - All Saints Poplar

This clearly conflicts with Swanson’s purported reference to “his brother’s house in Whitechapel”; unless, of course, we assume that his similarly purported reference to “Stepney Workhouse” was merely a vernacular reference to Mile End Old Town Workhouse.

Colin

ID:	652570

Comment

Bromley workhouse?

I have a query if anyone can help? It's not connected to Kosminski but to the location of a 'Bromley workhouse.'

I have checked the census enumeration books looking for a 'Bromley workhouse' as mentioned by Booth in his notes from the 'Stepney Union workhouse records,' but without success. He also mentions the Poplar workhouse in High Street in these records and I see Colin has posted the census listing for that.
                    The only reference I can find to Bromley workhouse is a listing from an index with a date source given as 1888, that Scott Nelson has already mentioned before, as being on Love Lane off St Leonard St Bromley.
                    The Stepney Union Workhouse was also on St leonards Street Bromley, is Bromley Workhouse the Stepney Union Workhouse? Especially as the Poplar and Stepney sick asylum was also known as the Bromley sick asylum.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                      ... is Bromley Workhouse the Stepney Union Workhouse?
                      Colloquialisms abounded in Swanson’s day, and still do:

__ “Bromley Workhouse”
                      ... the use of vernacular can confuse any landscape, and should therefore be avoided. While some of the examples listed above, can cause little-to-no confusion (i.e., "Shoe Lane Casual Ward"), and admittedly are quite harmless; others can cause a great deal of confusion (i.e., "Bromley Workhouse"), and quite literally are detrimental to our understanding of this case. Our beloved "Stepney Workhouse", of course, falls into the latter category, when used in any context other than an abbreviated reference to Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard's Street, Bromley St. Leonard.
                      Hi Debs,

"Bromley Workhouse" and Stepney Union Workhouse were indeed, one and the same !!!

While I'm at it, I think I'll address the entire list:

__ “Bromley Workhouse”
                      __ Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard’s Street, Bromley St. Leonard

__ Whitechapel Union Workhouse, South Grove, Mile End Old Town

__ Holborn Union Workhouse, Gray’s Inn Road, St. Andrew Holborn Above the Bars

__ Whitechapel Union Infirmary, Baker’s Row, Mile End New Town

__ City of London Union Casual Ward, Robin Hood Court, Shoe Lane, St. Andrew Holborn, City of London

__ City of London Mortuary, Golden Lane, St. Giles Without Cripplegate, City of London

__ St. George in the East

__ Stepney Green

__ Norton Folgate

__ Aldgate

Of course, there were in 1888, and continue to be to this day, dozens upon dozens of popular colloquialisms, which can easily stand in the way of meaningful research.

ID:	652874
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2008, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Cheers Colin! I knew you would know, good job we've got you

Anyway, that answers something Scot mentioned then, the Stepney Union Workhouse records do still exist, under the guise of the Bromley workhouse records at the LMA. I was looking at the film the other weekend without realising they were the same place. There's admissions and discharge registers plus a section of details and casenotes on patients sent on to Colney Hatch, not sure of the covering years though.

Comment

I just noticed that the Booth catalogue has this description;

The series also covered the "unoccupied classes" and inmates of institutions, including named case histories giving the causes of pauperisation for Bromley and Stepney workhouse inmates and recipients of outdoor relief from the Stepney Union.

...an either, or, and, situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                            If anyone doesn't like/agree with "The Facts" then I suggest they get off their fat backside and spend eighteen months writing a book of their own to show us all how it should be done.

Either put up or shut up.
                            Authorship of published work is not prerequisite to the leveling of criticism, toward the published work of others; just as prior experience as a head of state is not prerequisite to the leveling of criticism, toward an incumbent.

So, I suggest that you shut up !!!

If you wish to take issue with the specific points that I have addressed, then be my guest. But don't try telling me that Begg's work is off limits: It's not !!! Especially in light of his feeble attempt to push a square peg into a round hole, in order to circumvent one of the difficult questions that must be asked of the so-called Swanson Marginalia.

In his book, "Jack the Ripper: The Facts", Begg has stated as an absolute matter of fact, that Mile End Old Town Workhouse had become "Stepney Workhouse", by 1910. It hadn't !!! And, it never did !!! Excepting possibly, by way of some sort of vernacular reference, that Swanson himself might have used.

Begg has responded to my criticisms, by waffling around an issue that goes beyond his understanding of the political geography of Victorian London. In so doing, he has insisted that the possibility that Swanson simply referred colloquially to Mile End Old Town Workhouse as "Stepney Workhouse", has been his line of reasoning from the onset. It has been mine: Not his !!!

pg. 378: "... the expanding Borough of Stepney absorbed Mile End Old Town in 1901, so, when Swanson wrote nine years later, Mile End Old Town Workhouse was Stepney Workhouse."

"was": Begg's emphasis

That's
                            "was Stepney Workhouse"; with no semblance of any qualifier !!!

That The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town came to be situated within The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney is correct. But that barely scratches the surface of the hamlet's 1,000-year history as a component of all things "Stepney"; and provides Begg a rudimentary schoolboy solution to one of the glaring inconsistencies between the purported assertions of Donald Swanson and the documented fate of Aaron Kosminski.

I will be addressing this issue further, on the "Stepney Workhouse" thread: Particularly with regard to comments made during "Rippercast", Episode 15; "Paul Begg: A to Z", May 25, 2008.
                            It's long; long-winded; and somewhat disjointed !!! It lacks a fluid narrative; and is burdened with redundancies !!! My Apologies !!!

I simply haven't found the time to put together a more polished product. However, I believe that I have covered most of the relevant points. If the reader is willing to sift a little, here and there, I think that my message will be conveyed.

From: "Rippercast", Episode 15; "Paul Begg: A to Z", May 25, 2008
                            Jonathan Menges: "Martin Fido, in his book, "The Crimes, Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper", makes the point that there was no workhouse called the "Stepney Workhouse". In fact, "Stepney" encompassed a good half-dozen different workhouses, all having different names. There was the Mile End Workhouse; there was the Limehouse; Ratcliff; St. Leonard's Street Workhouse, which is sometimes referred to as the "Stepney Union Workhouse". And in your book "The Facts" you posit that Swanson meant the Mile End Workhouse, or could have meant the Mile End Workhouse, when he referred to it as the "Stepney Workhouse"."

"… there was no workhouse called "The Stepney Workhouse"."

From: "The Crimes, Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper", by Martin Fido
                            pg. 228: "Swanson's notes were not one hundred percent accurate: there was no such place as 'Stepney Workhouse', though the term was sometimes used colloquially for St. George's-in-the-East in the 1880s."

"there was no such place as 'Stepney Workhouse'"

Fido does not "make the point"; he makes a claim: One, which was plainly and simply wrong.

There most certainly was a "Stepney Workhouse" !!!

- St. John of Wapping
                            - St. Paul Shadwell
                            - The Hamlet of Ratcliff
                            - St. Anne Limehouse

___ Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard's Street, Bromley St. Leonard (1863-1921)
                            ___ Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, Devon's Road, Bromley St. Leonard (1871-1930?) – A Poor Law infirmary, shared by the Poor Law Unions of Poplar and Stepney (Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum District) – If the "Kosminski" purportedly named by Swanson was in fact, entrusted to the care of the Guardians of Stepney Poor Law Union, then he was in all likelihood, admitted to this facility, as opposed to Stepney Union Workhouse

I believe we can rest assured that a typical abbreviated reference to Stepney Union Workhouse, would have been "Stepney Workhouse"; just as a typical abbreviated reference to Whitechapel Union Workhouse would surely have been "Whitechapel Workhouse"; Poplar Union Workhouse – "Poplar Workhouse"; City of London Union Infirmary – "City of London Infirmary" or "City Infirmary"; etc …

"there was no such place as 'Stepney Workhouse', though the term was sometimes used colloquially for St. George's-in-the-East in the 1880s."

Fido pulled that one out of his aft end !!! Period !!!

The relatively small portion of The Hamlet of Wapping, in St. Dunstan Stepney, which extended along its western boundary with the Middlesex portion of St. Botolph Without Aldgate (aka, "East Smithfield"), and its southern boundary with the River Thames, became part of St. Mary Whitechapel, at some point in the sixteenth century (?). It was hence referred to as "Wapping Whitechapel", until being designated a Civil Parish itself, St. John of Wapping, in 1694. The remaining portion of the hamlet was referred to as "Wapping Stepney", until it too was designated a Civil Parish, St. George in the East, in 1723. There was no subsequent connection of any kind, between St. George in the East and the name "Stepney"; until the inclusion of St. George in the East in the newly established Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, in 1900.

Returning to: "Rippercast", Episode 15
                            Jonathan Menges: "In fact, "Stepney" encompassed a good half-dozen different workhouses, all having different names. There was the Mile End Workhouse; there was the Limehouse; Ratcliff; St. Leonard's Street Workhouse, which is sometimes referred to as the "Stepney Union Workhouse". And in your book "The Facts" you posit that Swanson meant the Mile End Workhouse, or could have meant the Mile End Workhouse, when he referred to it as the "Stepney Workhouse"."

"In fact, "Stepney" encompassed a good half-dozen different workhouses, all having different names. There was the Mile End Workhouse; there was the Limehouse; Ratcliff; St. Leonard's Street Workhouse, which is sometimes referred to as the "Stepney Union Workhouse"."

Jonathan has quite clearly taken a glimpse at "The Workhouse":
                            http://workhouses.org/
                            Workhouse Locations / English Poor Law Unions / London: Middlesex / Stepney

But, he would do well to go back for a second perusal:

- St. John of Wapping
                            - St. Paul Shadwell
                            - The Hamlet of Ratcliff
                            - St. Anne Limehouse

"Mile End Old Town Workhouse"
                            This Poor Law facility was utilized by The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town prior to its inclusion in the newly established Stepney Poor Law Union, in 1836. It was then utilized by Stepney Poor Law Union as a workhouse for the accommodation of able-bodied male inmates, until The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town was removed from the Union, in 1857, and designated a Poor Law Parish in itself. The foundation stone was then laid for the construction of a new workhouse facility (workhouse; infirmary; casual ward) at the opposite end of Alderney Road (formerly Alderney Place), on the eastern side of its junction with Bancroft Road. This was the facility (specifically; Mile End Old Town Infirmary), to which Aaron Kosminski was admitted on two separate occasions.

"Wapping Workhouse" (not mentioned by Jonathan)
                            This Poor Law facility was utilized by St. John of Wapping prior to its inclusion in the newly established Stepney Poor Law Union, in 1836. It was then utilized by Stepney Poor Law Union in its original capacity (workhouse), until the construction of a new workhouse facility (Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard's Street, Bromley St. Leonard) was completed in 1863.

"Limehouse Workhouse"
                            This Poor Law facility was utilized by St. Anne Limehouse prior to its inclusion in the newly established Stepney Poor Law Union, in 1836. It was then utilized by Stepney Poor Law Union as an infirmary and school for boys and girls.

"The Ratcliffe Workhouse Site"
                            This Poor Law facility was utilized by The Hamlet of Ratcliff prior to its inclusion in the newly established Stepney Poor Law Union, in 1836. It was then utilized by Stepney Poor Law Union as a casual ward and Board of Guardians' offices.

"The St. Leonard’s Street Workhouse"
                            (Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard's Street, Bromley St. Leonard)
                            This Poor Law facility was built by Stepney Poor Law Union in 1863, and officially designated "Stepney Union Workhouse". It was not, as Jonathan indicated: "St. Leonard's Street Workhouse, which is sometimes referred to as "The Stepney Union Workhouse"."

Again; this facility was officially designated "Stepney Union Workhouse" !!! Any other references, such as "St. Leonard's Street Workhouse" or "Bromley Workhouse" were colloquialisms. And, as stated previously; I believe we can rest assured that a typical abbreviated reference to Stepney Union Workhouse, would have been "Stepney Workhouse".

The London Government Act, 1899, which established the twenty eight Metropolitan Boroughs of The County of London (i.e., The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney), did not provide for any transfers of responsibility for Poor Law administration within the metropolis. Responsibility for Poor Law administration throughout England and Wales, in fact, remained with existing Poor Law Parishes and Poor Law Unions, until the passage of The Local Government Act, 1929. Implementation of this act, in 1930, brought an end to the Poor Law system, and transferred responsibility for the provision of 'poor relief' (public assistance / welfare) to existing County Councils.

In other words; the Councils of the newly established Metropolitan Boroughs, in The County of London, did not have jurisdiction over the Boards of Guardians of existing Poor Law Parishes and/or Poor Law Unions, within their established boundaries. As such, Poor Law facilities (workhouses; infirmaries; casual wards) were not re-named to suit the Metropolitan Boroughs, in which they were located. There is no precedent, therefore, - none, whatsoever - for the notion that Mile End Old Town Workhouse became "Stepney Workhouse", with the inclusion of The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town in the newly established Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, in 1900.

An interesting caveat:

A Poor Law facility such as a workhouse, infirmary or casual ward was typically named for the Poor Law Parish or Poor Law Union, having ownership and responsibility for its operations; regardless of any detachment that might have existed between the respective parish or union of parishes, and the actual location of the facility itself.

A most relevant case in point:

Stepney Union Workhouse, named specifically for Stepney Poor Law Union (St. John of Wapping; St. Paul Shadwell; The Hamlet of Ratcliff; St. Anne Limehouse), was not located within the boundaries of that union. In fact, it was built on land acquired by Stepney Union, in the Ancient Parish of Bromley St. Leonard; which was itself never a component of anything "Stepney": The Ancient Parish of St. Dunstan Stepney; Stepney Poor Law Union; Stepney Registration District; Stepney Division of The Parliamentary Borough of Tower Hamlets; The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney; etc …

Returning once again, to: "Rippercast", Episode 15
                            Jonathan Menges: "And in your book "The Facts" you posit that Swanson meant the Mile End Workhouse, or could have meant the Mile End Workhouse, when he referred to it as the "Stepney Workhouse"."

"... you posit that Swanson … could have meant the Mile End Workhouse, when he referred to it as the "Stepney Workhouse"."

Begg posited no such thing !!! He stated as an absolute matter of fact: "... when Swanson wrote nine years later, Mile End Old Town Workhouse was Stepney Workhouse."

"was": Begg's emphasis

Paul Begg: "If Aaron Kosminski was "Kosminski"; then Swanson obviously made a mistake."

"… then Swanson obviously made a mistake."

Would that be Donald Swanson; or perhaps Jim Swanson ???

Paul Begg: "It seems to me that it's only right to suggest a plausible explanation for that mistake."

That Mile End Old Town Workhouse "was Stepney Workhouse" is by no means whatsoever, a "plausible explanation".

Paul Begg: "By 1910, Mile End Old Town had been absorbed by the Borough of Stepney. It was at that point, part of Stepney. And so, it just seems worthwhile making the point that maybe Swanson said "Stepney Workhouse"; because at that time, Mile End Old Town Workhouse was in the Borough of Stepney."

pg. 378: "It should be observed, however, that the expanding Borough of Stepney absorbed Mile End Old Town in 1901, so, when Swanson wrote nine years later, Mile End Old Town Workhouse was Stepney Workhouse."

Again; that The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town came to be situated within The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney is correct. But that barely scratches the surface of the hamlet's 1,000-year history as a component of all things "Stepney"; and provides Begg a rudimentary schoolboy solution to one of the glaring inconsistencies between the purported assertions of Donald Swanson and the documented fate of Aaron Kosminski.

"… maybe Swanson said "Stepney Workhouse"; because at that time, Mile End Old Town Workhouse was in the Borough of Stepney."

Perhaps he did !!! But a crucial component of this issue is the fact that the actual location of a Poor Law facility (workhouse; infirmary; casual ward) rarely, if ever, had any bearing on the official nomenclature of that facility.

*** Again:

The actual location of a Poor Law facility rarely, if ever, had any bearing on the official nomenclature of that facility.

Paul Begg: "It’s not a big deal! I'm not trying to say that this is an explanation for Swanson; and I would have hoped that that would have come across in the book."

"It's not a big deal!"

It most certainly is a big deal !!! It is a huge thorn in the side of the so-called Swanson Marginalia !!!

"I'm not trying to say that this is an explanation for Swanson; and I would have hoped that that would have come across in the book."

What comes across in the book is just what Begg claimed:

"… when Swanson wrote nine years later, Mile End Old Town Workhouse was Stepney Workhouse."

Nothing more; nothing less !!!

Jonathan Menges: ""Stepney Workhouse" could have been used as a catch-all phrase to encompass the system of workhouses, located in that borough."

It wasn't !!! And, there was no "system” of workhouses under the jurisdiction of any municipal borough council, anywhere in England or Wales.

Again; the Councils of the newly established Metropolitan Boroughs, in The County of London, did not have jurisdiction over the Boards of Guardians of existing Poor Law Parishes and/or Poor Law Unions, within their established boundaries. As such, Poor Law facilities (workhouses; infirmaries; casual wards) were not re-named to suit the Metropolitan Boroughs, in which they were located. There is no precedent, therefore, - none, whatsoever - for the notion that Mile End Old Town Workhouse became "Stepney Workhouse", with the inclusion of The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town in the newly established Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, in 1900.

------------

That Swanson himself, might have referred colloquially to Mile End Old Town Workhouse as "Stepney Workhouse", is my train of thought: Not Begg’s !!!

Again; "... when Swanson wrote nine years later, Mile End Old Town Workhouse was Stepney Workhouse."

My reasons for believing that Swanson might have referred colloquially to Mile End Old Town Workhouse as "Stepney Workhouse" go well beyond the reality that The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town became part of the newly established Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, in 1900. They also go well beyond both Martin Fido's and Paul Begg's understanding of the political geography of Victorian London.

From its beginnings, the Ancient Parish of St. Dunstan Stepney was bounded to the north by the Ancient Parishes of St. Leonard Shoreditch and St. John at Hackney; to the east by the River Lea and the Ancient Parish of Bromley St. Leonard; to the south by the River Thames; and to the west by the Ancient Parishes of St. Botolph Without Aldgate and again, St. Leonard Shoreditch.

From approximately 1329 to 1817, most of the hamlets within St. Dunstan Stepney were designated as separate Civil Parishes:

- St. Matthew Bethnal Green
                            - St. Mary Whitechapel
                            - St. John of Wapping
                            - St. George in the East
                            - St. Paul Shadwell
                            - St. Anne Limehouse
                            - St. Mary Stratford Bow
                            - All Saints Poplar

The following hamlets remained within St. Dunstan Stepney:

- The Hamlet of Ratcliff

In 1836, in accordance with The Poor Law Amendment Act, 1834, The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town became part of the newly established Stepney Poor Law Union / Stepney Registration District:

- St. John of Wapping
                            - St. Paul Shadwell
                            - The Hamlet of Ratcliff
                            - St. Anne Limehouse

From 1837-1841, several Ecclesiastical Parishes were established within The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town, in St. Dunstan Stepney:

- Holy Trinity Stepney
                            - St. Philip Stepney
                            - St. Peter Stepney
                            - St. Thomas Stepney

In 1857, The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town was removed from Stepney Poor Law Union / Stepney Registration District, and designated a Poor Law Parish / Registration District in itself.

From 1858 to 1880, several additional Ecclesiastical Parishes were established within The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town, each having the designation "Stepney" as part of its name.

In 1866/67 the three remaining hamlets of St. Dunstan Stepney; Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town and Ratcliff were designated Civil Parishes in themselves. However, 'old habits die hard', and even the Ordnance Surveys of 1870-1874 identified these hamlets as being part of St. Dunstan Stepney.

In accordance with The Redistribution of Seats Act, 1885; that portion of The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town, which lay south of Mile End Road and west of Regent's Canal was designated Stepney Division, Parliamentary Borough of Tower Hamlets, and granted representation through its own elected MP. The remaining portion of the hamlet was designated Mile End Division, Parliamentary Borough of Tower Hamlets, and granted similar representation, accordingly.

While St. Dunstan's Church, St. Dunstan Stepney was actually situated within The Hamlet of Ratcliff, the broad area generally known as "Stepney" was situated within The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town. This included of course, Stepney Green, which was known colloquially as "Stepney High Street".

The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town had a very close association with the name "Stepney" for the better part of a thousand years prior to its inclusion in the newly established Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, in 1900. This is why my train of thought from the beginning of this argument, has been that Swanson might have referred colloquially to Mile End Old Town Workhouse as "Stepney Workhouse".

Again; this goes well beyond the reality that The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town became part of the newly established Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, in 1900. It also goes well beyond both Martin Fido's and Paul Begg's understanding of the political geography of Victorian London.

Paul Begg: "It's now all Tower Hamlets. Tower Hamlets was a small area at one stage."

"Tower Hamlets was a small area at one stage."

From its inception:

The Parliamentary Borough of Tower Hamlets (1832-1885):
                            - St. John at Hackney (1832-1867)
                            - St. Leonard Shoreditch (1832-1867)
                            - St. Matthew Bethnal Green (1832-1867)

- Holy Trinity Minories
                            - St. Mary Whitechapel (Middlesex portion)
                            - The Liberty of His/Her Majesty's Tower of London
                            --- The Tower
                            - St. Botolph Without Aldgate (Middlesex portion) (aka, "East Smithfield")
                            - St. John of Wapping
                            - St. George in the East
                            - St. Paul Shadwell

- The Hamlet of Ratcliff
                            - St. Anne Limehouse
                            - St. Mary Stratford Bow

- Bromley St. Leonard
                            - All Saints Poplar

- having the representation of two elected Members of Parliament.

The Parliamentary Borough of Tower Hamlets (1885-1918):
                            Whitechapel Division

- Holy Trinity Minories
                            - St. Mary Whitechapel (Middlesex portion)
                            - The Liberty of His/Her Majesty's Tower of London
                            --- The Tower
                            - St. Botolph Without Aldgate (Middlesex portion) (aka, "East Smithfield")

St. George Division
                            - St. John of Wapping
                            - St. George in the East

Mile End Division
                            - The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town: That portion, which lay north of Mile End Road and/or east of Regent's Canal

Stepney Division
                            - The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town: That portion, which lay south of Mile End Road and west of Regent's Canal

Limehouse Division
                            - St. Paul Shadwell
                            - The Hamlet of Ratcliff
                            - St. Anne Limehouse

Bow & Bromley Division
                            - St. Mary Stratford Bow
                            - Bromley St. Leonard: A portion, which constituted approximately two thirds (northern) of the parish

Poplar Division
                            - Bromley St. Leonard: A portion, which constituted approximately one third (southern) of the parish
                            - All Saints Poplar

- having the representation of one elected Member of Parliament, for each Division.

Again; "Tower Hamlets was a small area at one stage."

It was ??? hmmmmmm !!!

Paul Begg: "Today, I might refer to Whitechapel being in Tower Hamlets: Because it is! It wasn’t back then! But it is now!"

"… I might refer to Whitechapel being in Tower Hamlets: Because it is! It wasn’t back then!"

It wasn't ??? hmmmmmm !!!

My reasons for bringing Begg's references to Tower Hamlets into the fray:

- They were made specifically during the discussion of "Stepney Workhouse"

- They serve as a very good indication that Begg – like Fido - is not an authority in all facets of Victorian London; or for that matter, all facets of the Victorian East End.

I believe that an acknowledgment from all parties concerned, that absolutely no one is qualified to speak with authority on all facets of Victorian London, would enable us all to get somewhere, with this discussion.

Colin

ID:	653911
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2008, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Just a small add on to Colin's short post.
                              When Rose Mylett was in the 'Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum' 20 January 1888 to 9 March 1888, under 'Name and Address of nearest relation', her daughter Florence is list and her place of residence was 'in Stepney Workhouse'. I checked in the registers for Stepney Union Workhouse and she is listed there. Also Stepney Union Workhouse was known as 'Bromley House'

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X