No announcement yet.

The 1961 Landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a list of the top 100 singles of 61. I only had about 10 of these but then I was only 6.

Comment

Cliff is on there I note Robert!
      Yes Julie --I remember willing the wheels too!
      Andy often went to Battersea Fun Fair -in fact quite a few friends enjoyed it but I reckon it couldn"t have been as good as Blackpool!They had the best big dipper in the world!

Comment

Hi Nats

Everyone raves about the Beatles' songwriting, and rightly so, but when you look back you find that people like the Shadows, the Hollies and Gerry and the Pacemakers were coming up with some great stuff of their own too. It was a remarkable explosion of songwriting.

Comment

It was indeed Robert.And only a year later the Stones got together.Keith Richards was on tv only last night talking about meeting up with Mick Jagger in 1961 in a South London train---they had been to primary school together and lost touch and they discovered on that train journey that they were both into the same blues music.This is what their particular brand of music grew out of.Keith was very interesting looking at the way Elvis,from the moment he burst on the scene with "Heartbreak Hotel", seemed to be this huge catalyst for change-turning at a stroke the ration based Britain of the 40"s and early 50"s to the place that rocked in the 60"s! Richards paid massive tribute to the black soul music of Muddy Waters and the influence of Chuck Berry.He was very impressive in his interview.
          Last edited by Natalie Severn; 10-30-2010, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Hi Nats

Yes I saw some of the interview. When he said about sitting on the stairs playing and his mum thought it was the radio, reminded me that Bill Nelson (I think) told a story about how he was playing guitar upstairs and his dad thought it was the record player. These guys were very good very young.

Comment

Yes,absolutely Robert.Andy and I noticed exactly that and commented on it when the programme ended.I went with a friend of mine to see, " Shine a Light" that film Scorcese made about them a few years back.I remember he gave Richards five or six minutes where the camera stayed solely on his guitar playing which was very sensitively felt as well as professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Everyone raves about the Beatles' songwriting, and rightly so, but when you look back you find that people like the Shadows, the Hollies and Gerry and the Pacemakers were coming up with some great stuff of their own too. It was a remarkable explosion of songwriting.
                I have a sinking feeling that I may be the only one around here who saw the Beatles, the Hollies, and Gerry and the Pacemakers in live performances. I hope someone else can say the same, otherwise I might start feeling old.

Comment

I can't.

Anyone else?

Comment

You're cruel, Robert.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                      I have a sinking feeling that I may be the only one around here who saw the Beatles, the Hollies, and Gerry and the Pacemakers in live performances. I hope someone else can say the same, otherwise I might start feeling old.

I saw the Hollies live but it was in about 1980ish after Graham Nash left. I much prefer their later stuff starting from I can't tell the bottom from the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        The local Sunday school used to organize coach trips to such places as Chalkwell and Walton on the Naze. There was something nice about being in a coach full of people. And I think it usually ended with a fish and chip supper before coming home.

Do they still sell toffee apples at seaside resorts? I used to bite off the toffee and throw away the apple.
                        Did we goto the same Sunday School Robert - I remember going to Chalkwell and Walton with our Sunday School too! Later - when we graduated to Youth Club - they took us for weekends at Frinton. Why? Well there were no pubs there! Not one!

Comment

Robert - on that playlist is a song that made a huge impression on me in 1961 and is still with me today. I listen to it regularly and I'm going to have it at my funeral:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                            Robert - on that playlist is a song that made a huge impression on me in 1961 and is still with me today. I listen to it regularly and I'm going to have it at my funeral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b1uGEYuSC8

Hi Julie,

An excellent thread you started here. Music is my biggest passion [anything from Mozart to Dylan so long as it's good on the ear] and 1961 (when I was 9 years old) happens to be my favourite year for music. It was a year before my hometown group, The Beatles, exploded onto the music scene (with 'Love me do'). So many great songs around that year such as the Everly Brothers with 'Walk right back', Billy Fury with 'Halfway to Paradise', Elvis with 'Are you lonesome tonight', 'Wooden Heart' and 'Surrender', John Leyton's 'Johnny remember me' and loads more too numerous to mention.

One of my favourite songs that year was the extremely catchy 'Hello Mary Lou' by Ricky Nelson ( a few years before he dropped the 'y' ). 1961 was the first year my sisters and I went on the locally arranged annual coach trip to Southport Funfair. It was organised each August by a certain Mrs McLean and something we all looked forward to each summer. I clearly recall 'Hello Mary Lou' being played repeatedly on the juke box in Southport Fun House that summer. Very fond memories of spending a few hours in that Fun House, especially that spinning contraption that was almost impossible to remain seated on. That was a big draw with everyone and great fun.. Who knows, perhaps that particular day trip to Southport FunFair might even have occurred on August 22nd 1961.
                            Last edited by jimarilyn; 10-30-2010, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                              I saw the Hollies live but it was in about 1980ish after Graham Nash left. I much prefer their later stuff starting from I can't tell the bottom from the top.

Hi Julie,

The Hollies were one of my favourite groups of the 60's and 70's. They came out with some memorable stuff. In 1976 they did a great version of Emmylou Harris's hauntingly beautiful classic "Boulder to Birmingham". Powerful lead vocals from Allan Clarke...........

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Why ofcourse----Southport Fun fair was brilliant James! Especially the hall of mirrors! Why did I forget....I think it was slightly out of the way from Birkenhead though so I didnt go as often.
                                I am afraid I was a bit averse to Sunday School though and the girl guides---and went only once or twice .It all seemed a bit too "organised" for my liking but I certainly loved the funfairs!

Comment

Working...
                                X