The One and Only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The One and Only?

Dr. Openshaw was only one of the many doctors involved in the Whitechapel Murder investigations, and I'd be interested to hear from the folks who post here just why they think he was singled out by someone who wrote to him about the case?

Hello AP,

Perhaps he was singled because FS Reed decided to take the kidney to him for examination, with the result that Openshaw's name, rank and place of work was splashed all over the papers between the 19th and 21st October. His connection with the case thus assured, it's perhaps not too surprising that he got his very own "Ripper" letter just over a week later. (I presume you meant the "Mikerscope" letter, by the way.)
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Agreed Sam, but then why didn't Bond and Brown get letters?
      Out of all the doctors involved I would say that Openshaw got the least publicity in the press... so why the letter?

Comment

And I forgot to mention, that the odds against Openshaw getting a letter are stacked.
        In 1888 Openshaw had 30 press reports to his credit.
        Bond had 120.
        Brown had 100.
        Who you going to call?
        Ghost Busters!

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
          Agreed Sam, but then why didn't Bond and Brown get letters?
          Out of all the doctors involved I would say that Openshaw got the least publicity in the press... so why the letter?
          A fair point, AP, but perhaps it was because it was only Openshaw who became famous for examining a piece of offal sent sensationally via "parcels post". Much more likely to fire the hoaxer's imagination than a clutch of dreary autopsies, I'd have thought.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

You do realise, Sam, that there are press reports supporting the idea that the writer of the Openshaw letter did indeed attempt to find a victim directly outside of the London Hospital in the time period he indicated, but was frustrated in his attempt by the attention of 'narks' in the employ of the police?

Comment

Working...
            X