Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I missed the 's' of Leeds. 'S' for ****...roaring laughter!

True story, now. I watched the Villa annihilate Bristol Rovers - can't remember the score, but the local BBC reporter had difficulty with such a huge number. Walking home with my mate up Trinity Road, behind a pair of Bristolians, we heard the following exchange:

1st Bristolian: Useless bloody baaaarstaards! If moi tea ain't ready when Oi gets 'ome, there'll be trouble.

2nd Bristolian: Ar, an' if MOI tea IS ready, Oi don't fuggin' want it.

Ai thenk yew.

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
      I watched the Villa annihilate Bristol Rovers - can't remember the score, but the local BBC reporter had difficulty with such a huge number.
      Quite bizarre. Just out of interest, I thought I'd get the scoreline for you from Google, and having typed in 'Aston Villa Bristol Rovers', the third item was on eBay - a memorial match for one Mike Barrett!

44 page programme in very good condition . Mike Barrett Memorial Match.

You just couldn't write it!

PS In case anyone thinks I'm being sick, it obviously wasn't the same Mike Barrett!

PPS Did you not mean Bristol City? Most you've ever beaten Rovers by is 4-0 in the FA Cup on 9 January 1961.

Comment

• Listen, mate, Bristol is Bristol, Rovers or bloody City I don't care. They're both on the very edge of civilisation. And I'm talking the sixties here, not 1980-81 as your link would suggest.

They can't even pronounce the name of their home town - Bristow, they say.
        I'd have them all lined up against any convenient wall and - where was I? Oh yes, Mike Barrett. Him that said he'd written the Diary. But did he?

Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
          Listen, mate, Bristol is Bristol, Rovers or bloody City I don't care. They're both on the very edge of civilisation. And I'm talking the sixties here, not 1980-81 as your link would suggest.

They can't even pronounce the name of their home town - Bristow, they say.
          I'd have them all lined up against any convenient wall and - where was I? Oh yes, Mike Barrett. Him that said he'd written the Diary. But did he?

Graham
          Yes, he definitely said he wrote the diary.

Comment

• Mr. Soothsayer, what about the bit in the Diary where James was jealous of Michael's verse writing ability. Does that prove anything?

Roy
            Sink the Bismark

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
              Mr. Soothsayer, what about the bit in the Diary where James was jealous of Michael's verse writing ability. Does that prove anything?

Roy
              Yes. Very much so.

Comment

• But Michael wrote no verse. Only music.
                Sink the Bismark

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                  But Michael wrote no verse. Only music.
                  Very true.

Okay, be serious Soothsayer!

It is true that he misunderstood what Michael did. Interestingly enough, either the forger also did so or else he was utterly cunning beyond ordinary cunning and deliberately got that bit wrong.

Obviously, as I believe the journal to be authentic, I have to see James' misunderstanding in the context of his simply not knowing what his brother literally did.

I accept that it ranks amongst 'Post Haste', handwriting, 'tin match box empty', and Kelly's breasts as thoroughly inconvenient for those millions* of us who believe the journal to be authentic.

What about you, Mr. Corduroy? What light can you throw on the issue? And where do you stand on Maybrick's candidacy for the leading role?

* Could be billions

Comment

• I wrote eons ago on this thread I read the book, found it entertaining, exciting even. Somehow though it just didn't ring true to me. But thanks for asking.

Roy

ps - Michael's anthem Jerusalem is still quite popular in churches and vocal ensembles here in the US.
                    Sink the Bismark

Comment

• Originally posted by Soothsayer View Post
                      The gist of my response was the journal makes a clear reference to 'FM' when it states "An initial here, an initial there, will tell of the whoring mother" whilst he was referring to the Kelly murder.
                      Soothy,

Doesn't the above mean that you are supposed to find a "F" in one place "here" and an "M" in another place "there"?

I think I can definitely see an "M" on the scanned image of Kelly's wall even though I think it's a natural result of the blood splattering so if Kelly's wall is the "there" where are you proposing is the "here" with the "F"?

KR,
                      Vic.
                      Last edited by Victor; 06-01-2009, 05:34 PM.
                      Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
                      Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

• Originally posted by Victor View Post
                        Soothy,

Doesn't the above mean that you are supposed to find a "F" in one place "here" and an "M" in another place "there"?

I think I can definitely see an "M" on the scanned image of Kelly's wall even though I think it's a natural result of the blood splattering so if Kelly's wall is the "there" where are you proposing is the "here" with the "F"?

KR,
                        Vic.
                        Same place.

I'm delighted that you can see the 'M'. Have you noticed how it has a rising second half, just as it does in the journal? Intriguing.

It's definitely not blood splatters. Neither blood (nor rivulets) can write.

Comment

• Originally posted by Soothsayer View Post
                          Same place.
                          But the quote "an initial here, an initial there" implies that the initals are to be found in different places, and definitely not "FM" in one place.

I'm delighted that you can see the 'M'. Have you noticed how it has a rising second half, just as it does in the journal? Intriguing.

It's definitely not blood splatters. Neither blood (nor rivulets) can write.
                          But "M" is just 2 vertical lines and 2 slanted off-vertical lines together and can easily be formed naturally, or do you think that JtR drew it with his finger dipped in blood? It doesn't look wide enough for that.
                          Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
                          Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

• I'd say it looks like a 'w'. If it's a letter, then it could be a 'w'. The only argument against that is the diary. That argument would be invalid as its origins are in question. If it can be proven that that is an 'm', then we can use the diary as corroboration. I say it's a 'w', and that it was written in blood by Kelly as she was on her back, and that's why it's upside down.

Now, what does the 'w' mean? It may be Walter who was sketching her before he went postal.

Mike
                            huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Victor View Post
                              But the quote "an initial here, an initial there" implies that the initals are to be found in different places, and definitely not "FM" in one place.
                              If you believe the journal is authentic, you would assume that Maybrick was simply helping the 'poem' along. After all, it's one of his better attempts at doggerel. The rest are pretty awful. I don't take it as meaning literally 'all over the place', which is funny really as his next line is something like "I left it all over the place".

Comment

• Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                                I'd say it looks like a 'w'. If it's a letter, then it could be a 'w'. The only argument against that is the diary. That argument would be invalid as its origins are in question. If it can be proven that that is an 'm', then we can use the diary as corroboration. I say it's a 'w', and that it was written in blood by Kelly as she was on her back, and that's why it's upside down.

Now, what does the 'w' mean? It may be Walter who was sketching her before he went postal.

Mike
                                The Great and The Good,

The nearest this gets to a 'W' is if you stand on your head, sir.

The 'F' next to it is significantly vaguer, but discernible nevertheless.

The ink and the manuscript are sound.

It's little short of a done deal, you know ...

Comment

Working...
                                X