Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
    50 years ago - A confessed serial killer named Winston Moseley later admitted to murdering Annie. Moseley was sent to prison for life after being convicted of a later more famous murder and is still incarcerated at age 79.
    Moseley (although he denies it) was guilty of the killing of Kitty Genovese, the young woman killed in Forest Hills / Kew Gardens Queens (on Austin Street) screaming for help within the hearing of at least 80 people in nearby apartment houses. At least that was the story told by a cocky New York Times reporter looking for an angle on the tragedy.

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1964 March 13 - Winston Moseley repeatedly stabs Catherine "Kitty" Genovese as she flees screaming through her New York City neighborhood. Ms. Genovese eventually collapsed in a doorway where she was raped by Moseley as she lay there dying. Many residents witnessed the attacks from their apartment windows although few is any could see the entire series of events. Moseley was arrested and confessed to this and a pair of other murders. He was sentenced to life in prison for the Genovese slaying and is still incarcerated at age 79.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1914 March 16 - Gaston Calmette is gunned down in his office at Le Figaro by Henriette Caillaux, the wife of a French government minister. Madame Caillaux was upset about the newspaperman's criticism of her husband. She was put on trial for the killing but was acquitted for reason of, to effect, temporary insanity.
        Last edited by sdreid; 03-14-2014, 05:57 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 700 years ago - 1314 March 18 - Jacques de Molay and Geoffroi de Charney are burned at the stake in France. These two leaders of the Knights Templar were executed for supposed heresy.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1964 March 23 - Seven-year-old Lewis Wilson Jr., vanishes from his Florida school. It is believed that he was kidnapped and killed by Joseph Francis Bryan Jr. Bryan, who was a suspect in a total of three murders, was captured before he could kill a fourth boy who he had abducted and given a life term for that crime.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1964 April 4 - David Wulff, 8, vanishes from his New Jersey. It is believed that he was the third little boy who was taken and killed by Joseph Francis Bryan Jr. who later went to prison for life after kidnapping a fourth boy who was rescued.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1964 April 6 - During a robbery in his Liverpool home, John Alan West is beaten and stabbed to death. The assailants, Gwynne Owen Evans and Peter Anthony Allan were convicted of the murder and hanged in August of this year. They were the last individuals legally executed in Britain.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1964 April 7 - Twenty-six-year-old Irene Lockwood is last seen alive drinking in a London pub. Shortly, her body will be found floating in the River Thames. She is the second official victim of Jack the Stripper. There was a disturbed man who confessed to her murder but he was later cleared. The serial killer went on to murder more women and was never captured or identified.
                  Last edited by sdreid; 04-05-2014, 06:08 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Nothing to do with murder but 50 years ago one act filled the top 5 positions on the Billboard top 40.

Never before, never since and probably never again.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      Nothing to do with murder but 50 years ago one act filled the top 5 positions on the Billboard top 40.

Never before, never since and probably never again.
                      Ah yes, I remember that. One of the few records that will almost certainly never be broken (or even tied).

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1914 April 9 - In a Connecticut facility named The Archer Home for the Elderly and the Infirm, Charles Smith is poisoned with arsenic and dies. The toxin was administer by the head of the home, Amelia Archer-Gilligan aka Sister Amy. After perhaps killing dozens of her patients, she was convicted of another murder and sent to prison for life. While incarcerated, she attempted to poison some prison personnel and was then moved to an insane asylum where she died in 1928.
                        Last edited by sdreid; 04-07-2014, 05:43 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1964 April 24 - In a Brentwood alleyway, Helen Bartelemy, 22, is found murdered. Helen is the third canonical victim in the unsolved Jack the Stripper serial killer case. Paint particles were found on the body which gave investigators an additional clue. Just as police had began to patrol near the Thames, where the killer had been dumping his bodies, he moved to dry land.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Stripper

Hello Sreid,

I tried really hard to resist this. Did this new evidence point to the murderer being a paint stripper?

Sorry.

Best wishes,
                            C4

Comment

• Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                              Hello Sreid,

I tried really hard to resist this. Did this new evidence point to the murderer being a paint stripper?

Sorry.

Best wishes,
                              C4
                              I hope they checked out that lead C4. Also, it was Brentford, not Brentwood - that was a different murderers lair.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1964 April 24 - In a Brentford alleyway, Helen Bartelemy, 22, is found murdered. Helen is the third canonical victim in the unsolved Jack the Stripper serial killer case. Paint particles were found on the body which gave investigators an additional clue. Just as police had began to patrol near the Thames, where the killer had been dumping his bodies, he moved to dry land.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X