Isdal woman mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isdal woman mystery

Just come across this incredibly mysterious case for the first time: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39369429

Seems like a real cloak and dagger murder mystery, straight out of the cold war.

It is very interesting. Although unlikely, my pet theory is that it could have been escaped serial killer Sharon Kinne. The time matches up and there is a physical resemblance.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      It is very interesting. Although unlikely, my pet theory is that it could have been escaped serial killer Sharon Kinne. The time matches up and there is a physical resemblance.
      Thanks Stan. What do you think to the secret agent theory? Thus, she used several different fake identities as she moved to different hotels-implying she must also have had a number of fake passports as most hotels required a passport for ID- and frequently asked to change room, indicating that she was hiding from someone. Then there's the matter of the suitcase,which not only had labels removed, preventing identification, but also contained a coded message.

The manner of her death is also extremely strange. Although she'd taken a number of sleeping pills, which may indicate suicide, her body was found in a remote location, she may have received a blow to the head, and was probably burnt alive, hardly a preferred option for a suicide.

And then there's the local man, who claimed to have come across the woman, whose face was apparently distorted in fear, a few days before discovery of the body. He also stated that he spoke to a policeman about the sighting, only to be told, "forget her, she was dispatched."

Comment

Yes John, everything is strange about this one. I do think she was murdered and the secret agent theory, although having some shortcomings, is probably the best one we have.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Very interesting story. Besides the spy theory, she could have been a confidence woman, perhaps running from a former gang. Or perhaps she was fleeing a husband or lover, who eventually caught up with her and killed her.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Murdered!!!!
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
              Very interesting story. Besides the spy theory, she could have been a confidence woman, perhaps running from a former gang. Or perhaps she was fleeing a husband or lover, who eventually caught up with her and killed her.
              In respect of a woman fleeing a lover, would that explain the extreme precautions that were taken to disguise identity? For instance, the numerous false names, false passports, the various wigs found in the luggage, and the labels cut off clothing and a lotion prescription?

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                Murdered!!!!
                The sleeping pills might indicate a suicide attempt, and you might question how someone could be forced to take a large number of tablets. However, the bruise to the neck might indicate a blow. Moreover, she died as a consequence of being set on fire, which would be a highly unusual, and incredibly painful, way to commit suicide, and presumably unnecessary given the number of pills taken.

And why would someone intent on suicide choose such a remote location and take a packed lunch with them?

Comment

A breakthrough!

Analysis of mystery woman's teeth may finally tell Norwegian investigators where she came from.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                    The sleeping pills might indicate a suicide attempt, and you might question how someone could be forced to take a large number of tablets. However, the bruise to the neck might indicate a blow. Moreover, she died as a consequence of being set on fire, which would be a highly unusual, and incredibly painful, way to commit suicide, and presumably unnecessary given the number of pills taken.

And why would someone intent on suicide choose such a remote location and take a packed lunch with them?
                    Actually more common that most people think.

Though I do agree not a easant way to go about it.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                      In respect of a woman fleeing a lover, would that explain the extreme precautions that were taken to disguise identity? For instance, the numerous false names, false passports, the various wigs found in the luggage, and the labels cut off clothing and a lotion prescription?
                      Sorry for not responding to your post earlier.

It occurs to me that the spy movie genre was well established at the time of this case, so it is not impossible to believe a fugitive would use wigs and false names.

As for the scraped off labels and missing tags, perhaps her murderer had done that to hide the woman's identity, just as he also burned her body.
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                        Very interesting!
                        ---------------
                        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                          Sorry for not responding to your post earlier.

It occurs to me that the spy movie genre was well established at the time of this case, so it is not impossible to believe a fugitive would use wigs and false names.

As for the scraped off labels and missing tags, perhaps her murderer had done that to hide the woman's identity, just as he also burned her body.
                          Yes, possibly. However, there is the matter of the false passports, which must have been difficult to obtain. Moreover, there is no evidence of a fugitive being sought matching the woman's description.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            Actually more common that most people think.

Though I do agree not a easant way to go about it.
                            And usually such individuals are mentally ill, whereas it seems to me that Isdal Woman was functioning at a very high level and showing no outward signs, at least, of mental illness: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3741006/

Moreover, why would someone intent on suicide move from hotel to hotel, assuming different identities?
                            Last edited by John G; 05-19-2017, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Pat D "As for the scraped off labels and missing tags, perhaps her murderer had done that to hide the woman's identity, just as he also burned her body."

But clothing is very easy to get rid of. If the murderer was going to go to the trouble of scrapping and cutting, they could have just as well have taken the things and thrown them out or donated them to a charity, or just burned them. Leaving them there with the identifiers removed just calls more attention to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X