This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Mr B

Yes, hardly palatial but I suppose it was suburban and the air was healthy.

Currently it seems in transition again :

Maybe they'll let you look round. Offer them fourpence.

Comment

• It didn't look as if it had sold as the Day Care Centre sign
      was still up. I could perhaps make a reasonable offer and insist that my surveyor lifts all the floorboards to check for damp.

MrB

Just spotted it's to let and not for sale. I'm on a real stupid roll today. Perhaps the best I can do is keep an eye on any skips that appear outside.
      Last edited by MrBarnett; 09-03-2014, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• It looks like Mary Kelly's been nosing around :

Comment

• And a ghostly voice could be heard singing, ' He left my heart in Romford Market.'

I must look up this Western Road History Group. It's only about a two minute walk from where I live.

MrB
          Last edited by MrBarnett; 09-03-2014, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• Air definitely healthier :

Comment

• Hi Robert,

I followed up on the Western Road History Group. 62 /64 Western Road was a day centre for young people with learning difficulties. The 'history group' was a project to get their students interested in history by focussing on the building. They obviously picked up on the JTR connection, and they also produced a booklet about Crossingham's neighbour at 62, William Adams.

Adams was apparently a devout Methodist and a pillar of the local community. I wonder what he made of having one of the 'Lords of Spitalfields' as a next door neighbour. What did they talk about over the garden fence?

And what did Bill Crossingham make of living next door to 'The Adams Family?'

MrB
              Last edited by MrBarnett; 09-04-2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• Hi Mr B

They may have spent time discussing theology, for Crossingham was a Roman Catholic. When his wife Margaret died shortly after him, the estate was handled by the local Catholic priest, and a builder by name of William Hunnable, who later left some money for the poor :

He may have been the William Hunnable who served on the council around 1916.

Comment

• Hi Robert,

From memory he converted to Catholicism late in life. After his first wife died, he married a younger member of the Sullivan clan who had defended him against a violent attack in 1897.

Perhaps theological issues were what they discussed over the fence, or the best treatment for rust in hollyhocks. I know what sort of questions I would have asked him. ;-)

MrB

Comment

• Originally posted by moonbegger View Post
                    Greetings all , I recently posted this on ( Joseph Lawende's home ) thread, but I figured it could also do with being on here as well .. Thanks to family and friends I have just stumbled upon another photograph of Norfolk Rd ( Lawende's home ) This photo was taken almost directly opposite #45 ( Not quite sure what year ).. This is also my home street , quite a few years before I was born .. hope you find it of interest ..
                    Would that gas street lamp have still been in use at the time this photograph was taken? If so, when were they phased out?

Comment

• According to this, there are still a few around :

Comment

• Petticoat Lane Series circa 1900

Originally posted by Jake L View Post
                        Petticoat Lane Series circa 1900:
                        [ATTACH]23[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]27[/ATTACH]
                        /Jake
                        Fantastic !

Cheers for them.
                        Last edited by sepiae; 09-05-2014, 06:29 AM. Reason: quote needed, otherwise no reference possible

Comment

• Pictures

Great Pictures Jake!
                          One can see how the hat defines the person.
                          I used to go to petticoat lane and club row every week with my dad when I was young ! It was pretty much like the photos in the 50's too.

Pat....................
                          Last edited by Paddy; 09-05-2014, 08:06 AM. Reason: omission

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            According to this, there are still a few around :

http://www.urban75.org/london/london...slighting.html

Thanks for the link.

Comment

• Are these images of the murder sites well known? I've never seen them before.

Dr Jari Louhelainen, a senior lecturer in molecular biology at Liverpool John Moores, used 126-year-old DNA from a shawl found by one of the Ripper’s victims

Comment

• They look as though they date from the early sixties judging from the vehicles. I note they've picked the wrong corner of Mitre Square as the site of the Eddowes murder.
                                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X