• Show
Clear All

• Part 3:
    Attached Files

Comment

• Two more:
      Attached Files

Comment

• Was it the original google earth van ?

Great upload Matfelon

moonbegger

Comment

• Originally posted by Matfelon View Post
          Hi everyone. I would like to know where and when this could have been taken.
          Here you go:

For 250 years, we have been run by leading artists and architects, and nurturing the next generation in the RA Schools. Our Collection tells their story. Explore it online here.

Rob

Comment

• Thanks Robert.

Comment

• I just stumbled upon this thread today. If I can make a comment: With all the obviously crumbling buildings, the many passages leading through building for access to the back, the yawning doorways without doors, and the twisting staircases, can you imagine navigating such a place in the dark? Someone could be murdered right beside you and if they made no sound you wouldn't know until they were found. It also looks as though there were a great many dump sites for bodies. What a horrible existence!
              And the questions always linger, no real answer in sight

Comment

• The Victoria Home AD 2012.
                I should have looked over the hoarding to see if there were any foundations left.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Wow,

Thanks Edward.

I knew it was on its way down but didn't realise this soon.

Did you get a look around the back?

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Here's another angle of the site of the former Victoria Home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vh reduced.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	664312

Comment

• That's a pity. Was the building in that bad a state of repair that it had to come down, or was the land so valuable that it made no economic sense to preserve it, I wonder.

regards, Bridewell.
                      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Bridewell
                        The Victoria Home was demolished after the war as it suffered bomb damage.
                        It (and the surrounding area) was left as a vacant ‘bomb site’ until the mid 1960s when the horrible concrete New Holland Estate was built. This estate has in turn now been demolished and a new development is going up.
                        The Victoria Home is circled red on this bomb damage map. Black means ‘Total destruction’.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• But strangely on the map showing where bombs fell, there are none ‘that’ close. The shock waves must have done the damage.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	bomb victoria home 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	664314
                          Observer
                          When did you take your picture?
                          There was no sheeting above the hoarding on the Wentworth Street side when I was there on Tuesday.

I do believe Monty is trying to get me arrested for trespass. But I am frequently roaming around in the area and am a risk taker so I may take a chance and get a closer look. I hope I won’t hear any whistles or rattles (or get sprayed with a noxious substance as seems to be the contemporary solution) while sussing out what goes on behind the fencing.

Comment

• Thanks for the images, Lechmere. I presume you're right about the shock waves destroying the building. I don't want to join Monty (allegedly!) in encouraging you into a life of crime, but simple trespass is a civil matter only - so no bells, whistles or obnoxious substances!

Regards, Bridewell.
                            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Could well be shockwaves from the bombing...but far more likely fire. Can anyone forget the graphic images of firemen attempting to fight whole city blocks ablaze during the blitz?

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Hi Lechmere

My photograph was taken a week before the one you took. I was standing in the middle of Wentworth Street on the opposite side of Commercial Street, the car is travelling south down Commercial Street. I had a good look around the perimeter of the development and it seems they have it well fenced off !

Regards Observer

Comment

Working...
                                X