What was occuring in 1888?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    Interesting! Was that the school adjacent to Toynbee Hall, or the one near the southern archway marked "ragged school"?
    Hi Joshua,

I'm not totally sure to be honest. It was the George Yard Charity School (Infants), which I have always assumed was the one that had been the 'ragged school'. They transferred there from St Jude's. Their father was at various times recorded as a hawker/coster/general dealer and the family had previously lived in Wentworth Street, Flower and Dean Street and Keat Street (Thrawl Street).

GGM remarried in 1891 and the family then moved to Shovel Alley off Cable Street. On her marriage cert her occupation was shown as 'bed-maker' - most likely in a local doss-house I would imagine.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
      I'm not totally sure to be honest. It was the George Yard Charity School (Infants), which I have always assumed was the one that had been the 'ragged school'. They transferred there from St Jude's.
      Well it looks like the infants school was actually in Angel Alley, both this and the ragged school are marked as part of the George Yard Mission on the '89 Goad map. I can't link to that but this OS map hopefully shows the schools;

her occupation was shown as 'bed-maker' - most likely in a local doss-house I would imagine.
      Unless she actually manufactured bed frames, or stuffed mattresses? But most likely as you say.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        So it was. Turns out that Williamina Fleming was the one who discovered the Horsehead Nebula in 1888 by examining the photographic plate he'd made.

Thanks, Dave.
        Cor blimey! What's that nebulous horse head looking thing in that 'photo!

Just a coincidence

Cheers Sam.
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
          Well it looks like the infants school was actually in Angel Alley, both this and the ragged school are marked as part of the George Yard Mission on the '89 Goad map. I can't link to that but this OS map hopefully shows the schools;

Unless she actually manufactured bed frames, or stuffed mattresses? But most likely as you say.
          Thanks, Joshua.

I hadn't seen the 'Infants School' in Angel Alley identified as such on an OS map before. I'm not sure when that was built, it wasn't there in 1874 but seems to have been by 1890, so that could well be the one my grandfather attended.

After the death of my GG they moved to 4, Angel Alley at the N (Wentworth Street) end, but by then the boys had apparently left GY school.
          Last edited by MrBarnett; 06-21-2018, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X