Other "victims"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other "victims"?

As I'm sure everyone on the forum is well aware. The Ripper case and `his` victims are well documented. He appears to have, done the deed and any follow actions without making any noise or leaving any clues (that we know of) and disappeared into the night like a phantom.

I'm curious to know whether there are any other `victims`, where perhaps he was disturbed and the victim managed to escape somehow. Are there any cases that were reported to the police? More academic would be cases that for whatever reason weren't reported to the police? The Yorkshire Ripper had some of his victims escape so why not Jack?

What were the circs of this incidents and were they followed up by the police?

The Yorkshire Ripper was later caught however, so the victims who survived/escaped his attacks were able to eventually identify him. With Jack we don't know who he was and any knife attacks on women could have been him or maybe some other individual.

In the lead up to the autumn of terror in Whitechapel there were two known cases. You know about Annie Millwood who lived in White's Row, Spitalfields, I suppose. In February 1888 she was admitted to the Whitechapel Workhouse Infirmary suffering from numerous stab wounds to the legs and lower part of the body. She said she had been attacked by a male stranger with a clasp knife. This attack was not witnessed. Annie recovered from her wounds but in March suddenly died from natural causes. This attack took place at a weekend and Annie, a widow, may have been supporting herself by prostitution

Ada Wilson, a dressmaker/machinist lived at Mile End. At about 12:30am on the night of 27/28th March 1888 she was about to go to bed when she answered a knock at her front door. She was confronted by a stranger who demanded money. When she didn't give him any he drew a clasp knife and stabbed her twice in the throat. Her screams drew help and the man fled. He was said to be about thirty with a sunburned face and fair moustache. He was wearing a dark coat and wideawake hat. Other tenants in the house believed that the man had been inside the house, and in fact Ada may have been a prostitute. She recovered. This seems to have been either a quarrel over money or a botched robbery.

Neither of these murders seem Ripper-like, though of course Jack had not yet started on his killing spree and these might have been first vain attempts.

During the summer and autumn of 1888 several men seemed to have found it amusing to sidle up to women in darkened streets and show concealed knives or make frightening and sinister remarks, like inviting them up alleyways. These were reported in the Press. However I don't know of any woman in those months who was caught in a dark alley or court with a man who produced a knife, was about to strangle her and she managed to escape.
    Last edited by Rosella; 11-06-2015, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
      As I'm sure everyone on the forum is well aware. The Ripper case and `his` victims are well documented. He appears to have, done the deed and any follow actions without making any noise or leaving any clues (that we know of) and disappeared into the night like a phantom.

I'm curious to know whether there are any other `victims`, where perhaps he was disturbed and the victim managed to escape somehow. Are there any cases that were reported to the police? More academic would be cases that for whatever reason weren't reported to the police? The Yorkshire Ripper had some of his victims escape so why not Jack?

What were the circs of this incidents and were they followed up by the police?
      Hi PC
      Great post and I have often wondered this myself. Maybe for the research inclined as I am certainly not.

as far as I know:
      Millwood
      Wilson
      farmer

Millwood being most likely of them to have been attacked by the ripper IMHO.

Im sure there are others.

I wonder if the many excellent researchers have scoured the court and or police records to find these types of incidents( men who have attacked women/prostitutes with a knife) where the woman survived and the mans name is known, around the time of the ripper killings, say 1886-1890.

It might yield a valid suspect.

Would love to here the results of this research if it was ever done.
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Charles Ludwig Wetzel

Comment

Yes, Ludwig appeared promising and was investigated, but was locked up at the time of the double event so he couldn't have been Jack. 'One Arm Liz' was lucky though!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
            Yes, Ludwig appeared promising and was investigated, but was locked up at the time of the double event so he couldn't have been Jack. 'One Arm Liz' was lucky though!

Yes, he was cleared on account of been locked up during the Double Event, and I guess the police investigated his whereabouts on the other dates, but you never know, Rosella...

In a situation eerily similar to Sutcliffe`s arrest, Ludwig is caught by police with Elizabeth Burns in an alley not too far away from Mitre Square. This, to my mind, is the sort of close encounter that we may expect to ... ermm, encounter the Ripper.

William Henry Piggott admitted to assaulting a woman very near to where Chapman was murdered, and tentatively identified as the man with the blood on his hands drinking in Mrs Fiddymont`s pub on the morning of Chapman murder. Although, it was probably Emily Walter he encountered, Piggott`s confused mental state, due to alcoholism, meant he had to be investigated by the police. Another, who was cleared by been under supervision during the Double Event.

Of course, William Grant Grainger takes the biscuit. He is actually caught by the police attacking Alice Graham with his knife on the streets of Spitalfields.
            Last edited by Jon Guy; 11-10-2015, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
              Yes, he was cleared on account of been locked up during the Double Event, and I guess the police investigated his whereabouts on the other dates, but you never know, Rosella...

In a situation eerily similar to Sutcliffe`s arrest, Ludwig is caught by police with Elizabeth Burns in an alley not too far away from Mitre Square. This, to my mind, is the sort of close encounter that we may expect to ... ermm, encounter the Ripper.

William Henry Piggott admitted to assaulting a woman very near to where Chapman was murdered, and tentatively identified as the man with the blood on his hands drinking in Mrs Fiddymont`s pub on the morning of Chapman murder. Although, it was probably Emily Walter he encountered, Piggott`s confused mental state, due to alcoholism, meant he had to be investigated by the police. Another, who was cleared by been under supervision during the Double Event.

Of course, William Grant Grainger takes the biscuit. He is actually caught by the police attacking Alice Graham with his knife on the streets of Spitalfields.
              Hi John
              Piggott apparently was admitted to the WC infirmary on 10 sept and discharged 9 oct. the double event was sept 30.

was he really supervised during his whole stay at the infirmary? couldn't patients come and go? I find it hard to believe he would be contained and or supervised for a whole month? Does that make sense?

also who is Emily Walter?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                Hi John
                Piggott apparently was admitted to the WC infirmary on 10 sept and discharged 9 oct. the double event was sept 30.

was he really supervised during his whole stay at the infirmary? couldn't patients come and go? I find it hard to believe he would be contained and or supervised for a whole month? Does that make sense?

also who is Emily Walter?
                Hi Abby

Yes, Piggott had a police "guard" during his stay at the infirmary.

Emily Walter or Walton claimed to the press that she had been assaulted by a man on the morning of Chapman`s murder somewhere in Hanbury Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                  Hi Abby

Yes, Piggott had a police "guard" during his stay at the infirmary.

Emily Walter or Walton claimed to the press that she had been assaulted by a man on the morning of Chapman`s murder somewhere in Hanbury Street.
                  Thanks Jon
                  I didn't know that about Piggott. I thought he was still a possibility but I guess not.

Also, re Emily Walter-thanks. Seems like an odd coincidence?

Puckerage also has intrigued me. Mentioned by Warren in a report that they were looking for him. But nothing on record he was found or exonerated.
                  But the link is obviously tentative, and other than warrens mention, nothing ties him to the case.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Also, re Emily Walter-thanks. Seems like an odd coincidence?.
                    It`s not a given fact that Piggott assaulted Walter.
                    But, if you look at Walter`s statement, and look at Piggott`s own account, I can`t help thinking they`re the same incident.

Puckerage also has intrigued me. Mentioned by Warren in a report that they were looking for him. But nothing on record he was found or exonerated.
                    But the link is obviously tentative, and other than warrens mention, nothing ties him to the case.
                    Yes, he is interesting, but differs to Ludwig, Piggott and Grant in that they all assaulted women(possibly prostituting themselves). Ludwig and Grant even more so, as they carried and waved about their knives.

Comment

PC2267,

There were some knife attacks, very violent ones in fact, that occurred in Whitechapel, that may have been a build-up to the main Ripper murders. There were also the other murders that you have likely heard of in the series.
                      • Emily Horsnell - murdered, Nov 1887
                      • Annie Millwood - stabbed and later died, Feb 1888
                      • Ada Wilson - throat cut, March 1888 (survived)
                      • Emma Smith - murdered, April 1888
                      • Malvina Haynes - stabbed, April 1888 (survived)
                      • Georgina Green - stabbed, May 1888 (survived)
                      Best regards,
                      Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Out of curiosity, in the period of say April 1888 to February / March 1891, were there any murders committed in Britain (not just London's East End) where the victims were women of the upper classes (middle to upper class) who were killed by stabbing, cut throat, or whatever? Has anyone ever researched it?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jack View Post
                          PC2267,

There were some knife attacks, very violent ones in fact, that occurred in Whitechapel, that may have been a build-up to the main Ripper murders. There were also the other murders that you have likely heard of in the series.
                          • Emily Horsnell - murdered, Nov 1887
                          • Annie Millwood - stabbed and later died, Feb 1888
                          • Ada Wilson - throat cut, March 1888 (survived)
                          • Emma Smith - murdered, April 1888
                          • Malvina Haynes - stabbed, April 1888 (survived)
                          • Georgina Green - stabbed, May 1888 (survived)
                          Hi Uncle Jack
                          Thanks. Im not familiar with Horsnell, Haynes or green. Can you elaborate on the where, how etc? or at least point me in the direction to learn more about them?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi Uncle Jack
                            Thanks. Im not familiar with Horsnell, Haynes or green. Can you elaborate on the where, how etc? or at least point me in the direction to learn more about them?
                            Hi Aby
                            This is all there is on Horsnell

post #52
                            Emily died of peritonitis at 19 George St Spitalfields, brought on after sustaining kicks to her abdomen by men she didn't know. There was no post mortem. I've recently looked further at her life on JTRforums:

How Brown also started this thread on Georgina Green. I hadn't heard of her before either.

Comment

Malvina Haynes wasn't stabbed was she? As far as I remember she was married, (her husband was a painter) with a son, and she had ventured out at night in Whitechapel.

Nothing is really known about her attack or attacker, just that she suffered scalp wounds from being knocked down and was concussed. Malvina herself could remember nothing.

She was found, taken to the London Hospital and survived. Her husband praised the London Hospital doctors, and she was still alive at the time of the 1891 census, living with her family and making a living as a seamstress.

Comment

Working...
                              X