Kosminski and Dr Houchin's Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kosminski and Dr Houchin's Report

One of the many intriguing aspects of the Ripper killings is the way that the killer managed to savagely murder the victims and leave the scene unseen, unheard.

Even on those occasions when the murderer was possibly seen by witnesses, he showed no great nervousness, or even an attempt to hide or minimise his presence.
    Indeed, he even found time to shout at Israel Schwartz just prior to the probable murder of Liz Stride.

There is no evidence that the murderer fled panic stricken from the scene of any of the crimes. No one saw anyone running or leaving hurriedly from any of the crime scenes. No one heard anyone running from any of the crime scenes.
    Why the coolness under pressure?

Even those killers convinced of the moral justification of their actions have an aversion to facing the execution chamber.
    Using the established facts, can we reasonably speculate as to the reasons why the killer appeared to be so untroubled about the possibility of being caught in the act, or being seen and heard leaving the crime scenes?

Maybe.

In July 1890, Aaron was taken to Mile End Old Town Workhouse probably because he was exhibiting sign of mental instability, his admission papers say “Qy Insane” (Query Insane).

He was discharged on 15th July 1890.

Fast forward to 4th February 1891 and we find Aaron being readmitted to Mile End Old Town Workouse. He was examined by Dr Houchin on 6th July 1891 and declared insane.

Dr Houchins report on Aaron gives us his views about the patients mental state, and says specifically, “He declares that he is guided and his movements altogether controlled by an instinct that informs his mind; he says that he "knows the movements of all mankind” (my emphasis).
    If Aaron Kosminski was the killer, does Dr Houchin’s report give us a reason for the killers apparent coolness while carrying out the crimes, and his apparently unhurried leaving of the crime scenes?

What I am speculating is that possibly Aaron knew for sure we that he was not going to be caught because his voices told him where everyone was, including the local beat constables.

It could also explain why so many of the murder sites were in plain sight.
    He could kill calmly and without fear of being caught afterwards.
    He had nothing to fear, no need to rush, to need to run from any of the murder scenes.

This was a killer operating with supreme confidence.

This does of course depend on Aaron knowing “the movements of all mankind” in late 1888, but I think it is an idea worth exploring.

I am not being dogmatic about any of the above, I am merely throwing an idea out there.

We know very little about Kosminski, and it struck me that perhaps Dr Houchin’s report has been overlooked in regard to what could be an important clue.

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
    One of the many intriguing aspects of the Ripper killings is the way that the killer managed to savagely murder the victims and leave the scene unseen, unheard.

Even on those occasions when the murderer was possibly seen by witnesses, he showed no great nervousness, or even an attempt to hide or minimise his presence.
    Indeed, he even found time to shout at Israel Schwartz just prior to the probable murder of Liz Stride.

There is no evidence that the murderer fled panic stricken from the scene of any of the crimes. No one saw anyone running or leaving hurriedly from any of the crime scenes. No one heard anyone running from any of the crime scenes.
    Why the coolness under pressure?

Even those killers convinced of the moral justification of their actions have an aversion to facing the execution chamber.
    Using the established facts, can we reasonably speculate as to the reasons why the killer appeared to be so untroubled about the possibility of being caught in the act, or being seen and heard leaving the crime scenes?

Maybe.

In July 1890, Aaron was taken to Mile End Old Town Workhouse probably because he was exhibiting sign of mental instability, his admission papers say “Qy Insane” (Query Insane).

He was discharged on 15th July 1890.

Fast forward to 4th February 1891 and we find Aaron being readmitted to Mile End Old Town Workouse. He was examined by Dr Houchin on 6th July 1891 and declared insane.

Dr Houchins report on Aaron gives us his views about the patients mental state, and says specifically, “He declares that he is guided and his movements altogether controlled by an instinct that informs his mind; he says that he "knows the movements of all mankind” (my emphasis).
    If Aaron Kosminski was the killer, does Dr Houchin’s report give us a reason for the killers apparent coolness while carrying out the crimes, and his apparently unhurried leaving of the crime scenes?

What I am speculating is that possibly Aaron knew for sure we that he was not going to be caught because his voices told him where everyone was, including the local beat constables.

It could also explain why so many of the murder sites were in plain sight.
    He could kill calmly and without fear of being caught afterwards.
    He had nothing to fear, no need to rush, to need to run from any of the murder scenes.

This was a killer operating with supreme confidence.

This does of course depend on Aaron knowing “the movements of all mankind” in late 1888, but I think it is an idea worth exploring.

I am not being dogmatic about any of the above, I am merely throwing an idea out there.

We know very little about Kosminski, and it struck me that perhaps Dr Houchin’s report has been overlooked in regard to what could be an important clue.
    I tink the solution to the enigma about how the killer was able to keep his coolness is spelt psychopathy.

It is a VERY common trait amongst serialists, and psychopaths do not - in fact can not - panick.

Your suggestion about how the killer may have felt that he knew the movements of all mankind and how that would have made him feel that he was never going to get caught is interesting on the surface of things. But these kinds of delusions with the kind of person Kosminski was - in all probability schizophrenic - would to my mind not be coupled with silence and cautiousness and a propensity not to leave any tracks behind. Schizophrenic people will sometimes kill as the result of an ongoing psychosis, and such matters are normally not silent and coupled with caution.

I think we are dealing with an opportunist with a large amount of self-confidence and with a lack of being able to panick, somebody who was willing to roll the dice and take his chances, and who felt that he would be able to cope with whatever difficulties that came along.

Comment

Robert Napper was a serial rapist and murderer who was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. After stabbing Rachel Nickell to death on Wimbledon Common, in front of her own son, he didn't flee the crime-scene like a raving lunatic, he calmly walked away and disappeared into the crowd. Now, I can't say what the hell the guy was thinking. I don't know if the voices in his head told him that he was untouchable, or despite his schizophrenia he still had the presence of mind not to draw attention to himself, either way he managed to slip away without anyone noticing him. It was only forensics that tripped him up in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
        Robert Napper was a serial rapist and murderer who was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. After stabbing Rachel Nickell to death on Wimbledon Common, in front of her own son, he didn't flee the crime-scene like a raving lunatic, he calmly walked away and disappeared into the crowd. Now, I can't say what the hell the guy was thinking. I don't know if the voices in his head told him that he was untouchable, or despite his schizophrenia he still had the presence of mind not to draw attention to himself, either way he managed to slip away without anyone noticing him. It was only forensics that tripped him up in the end.
        It is clearly a possibility that the killer was so mentally unstable that he simply gave no consideration to the possibility of being caught, but if Kosminski genuinely believed that he knew the movement of people who might be in a position to capture him, then I think that Dr Houchin's statement needs to be looked at in anew light.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
          It is clearly a possibility that the killer was so mentally unstable that he simply gave no consideration to the possibility of being caught, but if Kosminski genuinely believed that he knew the movement of people who might be in a position to capture him, then I think that Dr Houchin's statement needs to be looked at in anew light.
          Well, to be honest, Kosminski said nothing about people in a postition to capture him, did he? To me, it spunds like a very typical delusion, so very common with the kind of problems Kosminski had.
          It certainly does not sound like how he acknowledged that he had gotten his hands on the police beat schedule.

Comment

It is interesting. He knew he was ill and thought he should not take food from others but eat from the gutter. One assumes he thought others may be poisoning him deliberately. Maybe in his damaged mind, the most unlikely place to get unpoisoned food from would be the safest.
            Think I better stop there but you get my drift?

Pat....

Comment

Bread and gutter? Hmm... perhaps he was a failed ventriloquist.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                Bread and gutter? Hmm... perhaps he was a failed ventriloquist.
                Boom! Boom!

Comment

Working...
                X