Jack in Assassin's Creed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack in Assassin's Creed

In case you are not aware, Assassin's Creed is a series of sci-fi video games which depicts a centuries long struggle between two camps, the Assassin's and the Templars.

The games take place in modern times where the character uses a computer immersion device to relive the memories of certain people (usually assassins) from history involved in the struggle.

Games have been set in places such as Medieval middle east, mid Ottoman era Istanbul, Renaissance Rome & Florence, Revolutionary American colonies, Revolution era Paris, the Caribbean during the Golden Age of Pirates and finally the most recent game is set in Victorian London. More specifically, 1888 London, you even start in Whitechapel.

Jack comes into the game as part of an add-on to the main story, I have not played it myself, but I think the gist of it is the player, as an Assassin, is forced to match whits with Jack as he goes on his murderous spree, likely on behalf of the Templars. I'm guessing that this will be tied into the Royal Conspiracy. Anyways, here's the trailer. They put Jack in a stupid hood and top hat. lol. But it's related to our subject and thought some might be interested to at least see it.

little clarification.

The game takes place maybe 20 years before Jack the Ripper. There is a downloadable content, which I think is unrelated to the main story, more like a spin off, where the character is immersed in the Autumn of Terror.

So if you buy the game, you will need to purchase this extra mission on top of it if you want to see Jack. (Not sure of the cost of the add-on, might be free for some subscribers, and will probably be included if they make a Game of the Year / Greatest Hits edition.)
    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Actually you play as Jack also. It's an incredibly meh DLC. The story approach is interesting in parts (Evie is a wonderfully written and performed character and hey they are trying to approach sex workers better than other games. Trying anyway) but handled fairly poorly (let's not let reality get in the way, they approach it all way too cleanly, of Ubi still desperately trying to clean its woman hating image after the AC: Unity "characters with vaginas are really difficult to do" **** ups).
      Then there are the Jack sections... just horrific. Not in that "Oh, that's messed up" way but in a "oh, for ****'s sake this is terribly done crap" kind of way. He plods around being a completely unnecessary counterpoint ("Oh! He works a lot like our gal Evie") and it still yells at you for not killing civilians. Nice add on, not totally successful... Just like most of Syndicate.
      I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
        little clarification.

The game takes place maybe 20 years before Jack the Ripper. There is a downloadable content, which I think is unrelated to the main story, more like a spin off, where the character is immersed in the Autumn of Terror.

So if you buy the game, you will need to purchase this extra mission on top of it if you want to see Jack. (Not sure of the cost of the add-on, might be free for some subscribers, and will probably be included if they make a Game of the Year / Greatest Hits edition.)
        The DLC is probably $15-$20.

I didnt remember the date the game proper took place. I rented it from redbox and played it for about a day. It waa alright but nothing i would buy until the proce drops considerably. Im a fab of the AC series but the games have been mediocre since AC4: Black Flag.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
          Actually you play as Jack also. It's an incredibly meh DLC. The story approach is interesting in parts (Evie is a wonderfully written and performed character and hey they are trying to approach sex workers better than other games. Trying anyway) but handled fairly poorly (let's not let reality get in the way, they approach it all way too cleanly, of Ubi still desperately trying to clean its woman hating image after the AC: Unity "characters with vaginas are really difficult to do" **** ups).
          Then there are the Jack sections... just horrific. Not in that "Oh, that's messed up" way but in a "oh, for ****'s sake this is terribly done crap" kind of way. He plods around being a completely unnecessary counterpoint ("Oh! He works a lot like our gal Evie") and it still yells at you for not killing civilians. Nice add on, not totally successful... Just like most of Syndicate.
          Good to see another gamer. I really enjoyed AC2, Brotherhood, Revelations and Black Flag. The others not so much. What little i played of Syndicate when I got it from redbox for a weekend was alright, way better than Unity which was a mess. Supposedly ubisoft is not going to release an AC game this year and will take some tome to try and revamp the series. It needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenzo View Post
            The DLC is probably $15-$20.

I didnt remember the date the game proper took place. I rented it from redbox and played it for about a day. It waa alright but nothing i would buy until the proce drops considerably. Im a fab of the AC series but the games have been mediocre since AC4: Black Flag.

I badly want to play it, but I have a PS3, and I'm not ready to buy a PS4, not enough games of my preferred type.
            Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
            - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post

I badly want to play it, but I have a PS3, and I'm not ready to buy a PS4, not enough games of my preferred type.
              You should do it any way because why not? Though now I'm curious what your prefered type is. I've been fairly impressed with the variety of stuff coming out. Hell, they got an Agatha Christie game... I'm really impressed when I see anything that isn't a shooter or hack'n'slash or climb'n'kill type these days though. My standards are so incredibly low for variety these days.

Comment

Jack The Ripper is a top-hatted supervillain in a Joseph Merrick sack cloth hood mask and various preternatural assassins attempt to thwart your every move but it is the recreation of Victorian London for which I acquired the video game. Have a stroll around 188 London I thought - and there's the rub. The game justifies its artistic licence with characters and geography in that the developer pitches it being set in a parallel universe. Hey ho. A decent enough atmospheric virtual perambulation around old London but not much more than a chocolate-box nod (the visuals are beautiful) to the reality.

Comment

That is every Assassin's Creed though. You can't go in expecting anything different.

Comment

Still - as a "CGI Riff" on Victorian London it is quite nice perambulating around even a fantasy late Victorian London.

Comment

Working...
                    X