civil servant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• civil servant?

I am sure that if i have found anything that it has been dug up before, but just in case....

I was looking in the london gazette and came upon this....

Civil Service Commission^ January 20, 1881.
    THE Civil Service Commissioners hereby give
    notice, that the "Candidates hereinafter named
    have passed the Preliminary Examination for
    situations in the Civil Service (Class I), viz.:—
    Of the Candidates examined on January 1-f,
    1881—

(many others)
    Druitt, Montague John

25/1/1881 p 342

does this mean he sat the exam and then didn't become a civil servant? i did much the same thing myself.

i signed on at a jobcentre once and the civil servant who dealt with my claim had the human attributes of jack the Ripper, i had never felt so disembowelled in my life.....perhaps MJD missed his vocation ? if he had joined them then maybe the job would have given him all the satisfaction he needed and therefore the JTR killings may never have occurred ? ( NB i dont believe that MJD was JTR however for the benefit of humour i am concurring that it may have been him ! )

Comment

The thing is, a woman has only one womb and civil servants like to work in triplicate.

Comment

From Hell (or districts pertaining thereto)

Our Reference : Hell/murder/1888/4a/521

Mr Lusk

Sir

I send you half the kidney which I excised from one woman (however I make no warranty that it is half in a mathematical sense). I have preserved it for you (though the kidney remains the property of HM Government and must, if required, be returned in a state no more decayed that that in which it arrived). I fried and ate the other piece (see Civil Service Policy Document 578/C/38b - "Civil Service Canteen Refreshments - A New Approach"). I may send you the bloody knife in due course (failure to send the bloody knife will not constitute negligence on my part - see Dracula v. Binns, 1882).

Signed
        Etc

Comment

Originally posted by evilina View Post
          I was looking in the london gazette and came upon this....

Civil Service Commission^ January 20, 1881.
          THE Civil Service Commissioners hereby give
          notice, that the "Candidates hereinafter named
          have passed the Preliminary Examination for
          situations in the Civil Service (Class I), viz.:—
          Of the Candidates examined on January 1-f,
          1881—

(many others)
          Druitt, Montague John
          Thanks for posting this - it was new to me.

Comment

Yes, thanks, evilina. I'm pretty sure that it's new information for me, too. I'm going to check Leighton's book to see if he says anything about it. Monty may have had even more difficulty in choosing a profession than we thought.

Comment

Robert,

You are, as my grandmother used to say, a caution.

Comment

Hi Evilina

I couldn't remember if we'd seen this before, but I sort of assumed we had. But I've just looked at the Times and there seems no mention, so good find!

While looking for that announcement I came upon a "missing" announcement : Missing, a deranged gentleman. Then it gives a desiption, and the name and address of whom to contact. But it gives no name for the deranged gentleman! It makes me wonder whether Druitt's family inserted this kind of fatuous advert.

Comment

congratulations

Hello Evilina. Lovely find.

Robert, I am NOT missing. I've been here all along.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

OK Lynn, I'll recall the search party.

Although it isn't conclusive, I suppose this rather weakens the idea that Druitt might have started upon a medical career before switching to law. He would have been very indecisive indeed if he'd started on three careers in such a short space of time - or four if you include teaching.

Comment

All of this just increases my admiration for Druitt. He seems to have been an intelligent, hardworking, athletic guy. His reputation should probably never have been blackened. Damn Macnaghten.

Comment

actually i have been looking on the boards, and i think my small moment of thinking i found something first is gone. Chris Scott had the same information from the Times i think and he found it in 2008.

Comment

I know someone who knew before Chris.

Druitt knew.

Comment

Take it, from a civil servant.

Recently we had some snack machines installed in our cafeteria. While they had peanuts, cookies, potato chips, raisinettes, and sodas, they failed to include steak and kidney pie, or even human kidneys from unfortunate prostitutes with Bright's Disease. I thought of writing a nasty letter to the New York Times or New York Post, but then realized that we were the victim of a state government budget crisis, and there was nothing we could do.

Oh, this is now the age of computers. We no longer need triplicate forms.

More seriously I note that others have taken civil service tests but ignored the results. Gerald Geoghegan, the barrister who was the junior defense barrister in the Israel Lipski Trial, and later headed the defense for Dr. Thomas Neill Cream, passed an exam for the Indian Civil Service but decided not to go there.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                            X