Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi David,

Is it plausible that Jack the Ripper knew about the "jutes" and had any interest in them?

After the analysis of data we always interpret the data.

What would you, as a sociologist, say about it; do you see a plausible reason to think that the "jutes" is in the interest of the killer?
    No-one knows who Jack the Ripper was, Pierre, so no-one knows what he knew or what his interests were.

But if Jack the Ripper was from Jutland, or was otherwise of Scandinavian descent, there is a fair chance he knew about the Jutes and was interested in them.

I thought we were simply trying to interpret the writing on the wall – which may or may not have been written by Jack the Ripper - but if your starting point is that we have to know who Jack the Ripper was before we can do so, and you think you do know who Jack the Ripper was, then perhaps you should tell us his identity and this might help us to understand what the writing means.

Comment

Hi C.D.,

But if he was a poor speller, why is the letter combination "Juwes" the only one misspelled in the text?e
      Because "Jew" is a foreign word?

Why assume that the rest of the text must contain a spelling error?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mirandola View Post
        'Jupe' is an item of clothing, usually of the upper body http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dic...y/english/jupe

It was unusual but current in 19th Century England usage.

It has nothing to do with 'Jewes' which is simply a spelling mistake, if it ever existed.
        i agree entirely.

Comment

• Been looking at this for a few days now. and have been happy to try Pierre's approach to see if it led anywhere.

Having done that I am of the opinion that while the experiment suggested is to a degree diverting, it is a word game which there is no answer to.

I can see no reason to believe that this approach is any more likely to provide an answer than the approach that has been used before. that is I see no reason to think that the word Juwes is anything other than it what it appears on face value to be. There needs to be a reason to try this approach.

Pierre, you have asked us some questions which some of us have tried to answer, however to continue with this I feel a need to ask some of you :

1. Why do you think that we need to go outside the box to understand the meaning of the GSG ? why do you believe it is not a simply misspelling, or do you?

2. Do you think the killer wrote the GSG? if so what leads you to this conclusion?

3. Do you believe know what the word means? if so could you enlighten us please?

regards

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
            Been looking at this for a few days now. and have been happy to try Pierre's approach to see if it led anywhere.

Having done that I am of the opinion that while the experiment suggested is to a degree diverting, it is a word game which there is no answer to.

I can see no reason to believe that this approach is any more likely to provide an answer than the approach that has been used before. that is I see no reason to think that the word Juwes is anything other than it what it appears on face value to be. There needs to be a reason to try this approach.

Pierre, you have asked us some questions which some of us have tried to answer, however to continue with this I feel a need to ask some of you :

1. Why do you think that we need to go outside the box to understand the meaning of the GSG ?
            Because no one has managed to give a plausible explanation.

why do you believe it is not a simply misspelling, or do you?

Because the combination of letters in the word "Juwes" is wrong. The rest of the writing is correct. Therefore, and given the conditions of seeing the writing on the wall (written on a rough surface on a dark night in a critical situation), it is more likely that the combination of letters is a result of misreading. (Why should be believe that Halse had good eyesight and could read perfecty?)

2. Do you think the killer wrote the GSG? if so what leads you to this conclusion?

Serial killer leave messages to taunt the police.

The GSG was found where this serial killer himself put the piece of apron. He could have taken the apron with him and thereby reduced the risk of the police finding him.

3. Do you believe know what the word means? if so could you enlighten us please?

I don´t believe I know anything. But I believe that many people thinking outside of the box could enhance the chance of achieving knew knowledge.

regards

Steve

Regards, Pierre
            Last edited by Pierre; 03-08-2016, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• The GSG consists of a dozen relatively simple words therefore, if we assume the author was only semi-literate, it's not too surprising that only one word was wrongly spelt.

The statement is also poorly constructed from a grammatical perspective, containing a double negative, which reinforces the semi-literate argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                Pierre

that does actually depend on other information,

To be "yes", "jupe" or "jupes" would need to have been a term used, maybe as slang for a style of clothing worn by a particular group of men, or just a term used for those men.
                That is A nick name, such as Harrison apparently said was used for the city police, not trying to connect the two, that was just first example that came to mind, I could have said "gunners" for Arsenal football team.

if no such connection can be seen or found obviously "jupes" would not be

"men"

regards
                Hi Steve,

What would you say is the word stem in "Juwes"?

We can be sure of the plural "-es", since the combination of letters refer to "the men". So we must keep the "-es".

But the "juw"-combination is no good. Something is wrong here. That is a simple fact, since we can see it.

But what is wrong?

If we forget about "jews" as I suggested - what is wrong in this word?

You managed to solve the problem with the other words, except for "pamies", which was "parties".

Now, let´s say there was an actual ethnic group in society called "the pomies".

We would be prone to interpret the word "pamies" as "pomies".

But the authentic word "parties" would not be visible to us. And everybody would think that the word referred to the known group in society, "the pomies".

And if this word was in the sentence "The Pamies are the men that will not be blamed for nothing..." we would think it was the Pomies that were to be blamed for something or that they wouldn´t take the blame for nothing.

And all of the time that we were thinking this, no one would understand it. Why would the ethnic group pomies have anything to do with it? And why would they be called "the men"? They would be an ethnic group with both men and women. And how should we understand the double negative - was the writer of the text a "pomie" himself? Or was it the other pomies who would not take the blame?

So now we try to forget about pomies / jews:

What is the authentic word stem in the combination "Juwes" according to you?

How many words are there in a normal dictionary with this word stem - that can actually refer to "the men"?

I am asking you, since you are an intelligent native English speaker who does not believe the GSG was written by Jack the Ripper.

Regards, Pierre
                Last edited by Pierre; 03-08-2016, 01:22 PM.

Comment

But I believe that many people thinking outside of the box could enhance the chance of achieving knew knowledge.
                  A classic example of an otherwise correctly spelt sentence nevertheless containing a spelling error in "knew" knowledge.

Comment

Why should be believe that Halse had good eyesight and could read perfecty?
                    Most detectives had good eyesight and were able to read but I assume you are aware that more people than Halse saw the writing on the wall.

Comment

Now, let´s say there was an actual ethnic group in society called "the pomies".

We would be prone to interpret the word "pamies" as "pomies".

But the authentic word "parties" would not be visible to us. And everybody would think that the word referred to the known group in society, "the pomies".

And if this word was in the sentence "The Pamies are the men that will not be blamed for nothing..." we would think it was the Pomies that were to be blamed for something or that they wouldn´t take the blame for nothing.

And all of the time that we were thinking this, no one would understand it. Why would the ethnic group pomies have anything to do with it? And why would they be called "the men"? They would be an ethnic group with both men and women. And how should we understand the double negative - was the writer of the text a "pomie" himself? Or was it the other pomies who would not take the blame?

So now we try to forget about pomies / jews:

What is the authentic word stem in the combination "Juwes" according to you?

How many words is there in a normal dictionary with this word stem - that can actually refer to "the men"?
                      I can't help wondering if you think we are all stupid.

Basically what you are saying is that the writing on the wall did not say "Juwes" but a word that looked similar to "Juwes".

Why does it need about twenty posts and a thousand words to make this simple point?

And if there is such a word which you think fits the bill why not just tell us what it is?

Comment

• [QUOTE=David Orsam;373068]Most detectives had good eyesight and were able to read QUOTE]

What is your source for that, David?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Most detectives had good eyesight and were able to read

What is your source for that, David?
                          What are you asking me about? Eyesight or ability to read?

Comment

• Basically what you are saying is that the writing on the wall did not say "Juwes" but a word that looked similar to "Juwes".
                            Like "jews"?

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                              What are you asking me about? Eyesight or ability to read?
                              Both naturally, since you wrote: "Most detectives had good eyesight and were able to read".

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Like "jews"?
                                Out of exasperation, I was going to say jews, but you said it didn't have anything to do with jews.

are you saying all along the word was jews?
                                "Is all that we see or seem
                                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X