This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
    Yes, the section of Hanbury Street which included No. 29 Hanbury St was demolished in the early 1970's, I think. I was lucky enough to see the street in the 1960's before it all changed. I believe a brewery was built on that side of the road after the houses were demolished and the brewery shell is now a car park.

Probably some re numbering of Hanbury St has gone on in the years since. If you want to see Hanbury St and No. 29 as it was in its last years try and track down 'The London that Nobody Knows' a travelogue with James Mason, who briefly visits the back yard murder site. It's a fascinating piece of film
    Pity you didn't take some photos Rosella.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I was only a young teenager then and went on a JTR walk up the East End with my uncle, who did take photos. He's dead now, don't know what happened to the photos after he went in to an old folks home. I'll have to trawl around my cousins!

Comment

• Does anyone know if Whitechapel Workhouse is still standing? And if so where may i find it? Heading to the East End of Wednesday to explore and take photo's, love workhouse buildings so would like to visit if still there.

Avvie

Comment

• A few from me

Comment

• Whitechapel 1905

Mitre Tavern, Hatton Garden. City of London

Old London, circa 1870, photographer unknown

Comment

• 1 Brady Street

Hello, I'm new here but I'm not to new to the subject or indeed the area... My partner and I have just finished saving an old building on Brady Street from dereliction and neglect and made it our home as well as refurbishing the shop below and returning its external aspect to what it may have looked like when it was built. We also have a direct view onto the train tracks at the rear, the old school and more or less, the spot where Polly was found on Bucks Row.
              Being very excited by all this, I am calling upon the experts amongst this forum and would ask them to rattle their brains to help me if you can...
              I am trying to find old photos of Brady Street (the segment between Whitechapel Road and the corner with Bucks Row/Durward Street where the Roebuck pub once stood). I am also trying to find out anything about our building, situated at no.1. Early phone directories indicate that there was a succession of hairdressers there, Thomas Walker Desormeaux (1895 and possibly already at the time of Jack the Ripper) and later, Max Keppelovitz around 1914 to 1921. What follows is a mystery. When we redid the shopfront, we uncovered an original hand painted fascia 'Harry's'. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Does anyone know what was sold there, when this was? I have heard from a lady in Limehouse that she thinks there was a maltese massage parlour at one point in the 1960s. A photograph from 1979 indicates a Players cigarettes swing sign which might suggest there was a sweet shop/newsagents by that time? We have hung a new swing sign on the original, restored bracket.
              I will now try and insert a few photos below. Any help, memory jogging, photos or rumours are highly welcome

Comment

• The building as it was a year and a half ago...a rat-infested dilapidated chicken shop
                Attached Files

Comment

• The building as it is now...
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Brady Street in 1979. No. 1 had the 'Players' swing sign. Was this a tuck shop?
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Looking back towards Whitechapel. Frightening to witness that this is not so long ago. Demolitions and destruction of entire neighbourhoods and their character certainly can't all be blamed on the Blitz...
                      The entrance to Winthrop Street was still on the right hand side and there was no sign of Sainsburys or the Idea store yet.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• When we dismantled the chicken shop signage, this old painted signage fascia came to light...Does anyone remember 'Harry's'? What could be purchased from there? And when was this? As we built a new shopfront and fascia, I specifically requested for 'Harry's' to be preserved and not removed. It lies behind, dormant and intact...
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Fantastic name for a shop.

Comment

• A night time view,if the poster doesn't mind.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
                              A night time view,if the poster doesn't mind.
                              Really well done!

Comment

• Hi Nicolas

This might possibly be the Harry who was listed in the 1964 voting register. I think he'd been there since at least 1954. His middle name may have been 'Lewis' and he may have owned a second home elsewhere in London.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X