Favorite suspect/s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
    Lechmere we know said he walked with Paul to the end of Hanbury street on 31st, but as i pointed out earlier such is not the shortest route, and neither is Old Montague.

Who offered up Old Montague?

Is there any source at all to suggest that Lechmere ever went that way when it was over 100 yards longer than other routes?

Steve
    The "other routes" all run inbetween Hanbury Street and Old Montague Street - the Ripper heartland. Dorset Street, for example, offered a short cut from the Hanbury Street route.

In any case, any route he used started out on either Hanbury Street or Old Montague Street after Bucks Row.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
      Nah, nobody can teach me anything. I am a tower of arrogance and self-appreciation, and I refuse to listen to anything that is not in line with my humongous bias saying that a poor carman was a horrendeous fiend.

Didnīt you know that?
      Self parody is often closer to the truth than we care to admit Christer.

However if thats not so then you may indeed learn.

Steve

Comment

Such was fairly obvious from the post Christer, so that is not news.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions even flawed and incorrect opinions.

Steve
        That should be a solace to you.

Comment

Self parody is often closer to the truth than we care to admit Christer.

However if thats not so then you may indeed learn.

Steve
          You will have your chance. If you produce something useful and new, I will certainly take a very close look on it.

I have no qualms admitting that I fear you will produce a biased work, but I would be happy - VERY happy! - to be wrong on that point.

Good luck, to both of us.

Comment

The "other routes" all run inbetween Hanbury Street and Old Montague Street - the Ripper heartland. Dorset Street, for example, offered a short cut from the Hanbury Street route.

In any case, any route he used started out on either Hanbury Street or Old Montague Street after Bucks Row.
            True Christer, but you didnt answer the question. Who offered up Old Montatague? And what was the possible use of that route based on?
            I have failed to find any source from the time suggesting it.

Steve

Comment

• Just how many men do you people out here think had as much reason to visit the murder sites at the relevant hours as Lechmere did?

Ou of the suspects, who can match Lechmere on the geographical point? Or even come close to matching him?

Do I think that the collective insight that the answer to the latter question is "not a single one" lies behind the suggestion that we should look away from the geographical factor and call it "irrelevant"?

Call me cynical, but my answer to the latter question is a very clear "yes".

Comment

True Christer, but you didnt answer the question. Who offered up Old Montatague? And what was the possible use of that route based on?
                I have failed to find any source from the time suggesting it.

Steve
                Oh, the "you-did-not-answer-the-question" stuff again. Reeks of Harry!

I offered it up. Tabram died there, and the timings Edward Stow have clocked speak for that route being a quicker one. It is also a route Lechmere would have been more aquainted with, logically, since he grew up closer to it than to Hanbury Street.

Whether the old geezers back in 1888 saw the potential relevance of this or not is neither here nor there, methinks.

Yhios remoinds me of how a poster from yesteryear used to claim that the Ripper would never have dared to use Old Montague, crime-ridden as it was...

The quality of the naysayer side arguments never fails to astonish me. What is your take on that? Do you think he would have dared enter that street...?
                Last edited by Fisherman; 06-03-2018, 01:18 PM.

Comment

You will have your chance. If you produce something useful and new, I will certainly take a very close look on it.

I have no qualms admitting that I fear you will produce a biased work, but I would be happy - VERY happy! - to be wrong on that point.

Good luck, to both of us.
                  In what way would it be bias?

I have made it very clear many times it does not clear Lechmere of being the killer of Nichols.
                  It does question and I honestly beleive refute some of the "theories" presented against Lechmere and that is as far as it goes.

Thank you for the good wishes. And the same to you.

Steve

Comment

In what way would it be bias?

I have made it very clear many times it does not clear Lechmere of being the killer of Nichols.
                    It does question and I honestly beleive refute some of the "theories" presented against Lechmere and that is as far as it goes.

Thank you for the good wishes. And the same to you.

Steve
                    The bias I fear is one of doing your best to deny any implication that Lechmere may be our man. I know that you donīt think you are at all biased, but I fear I very much disagree.

You asked. I answered.

Comment

• Just how many men do you people out here think had as much reason to visit the murder sites at the relevant hours as Lechmere did?

So Crossmere had reason to visit the murder sites? What would that reason have been?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        Hi Fish

So Crossmere was late for work on Sept 8th but arrived on time on Aug 31st?

As for Where he worked, I checked the censuses again and unless I missed something, he only gives himself as a carman - doesn't say where he worked.

So unless I'm forgetting something, we only have Crossmere's word that he worked for Pickfords - because the police never checked him out, remember.

Looks as though we don't know where he worked, Fish.
                        If he lied about where he worked isn’t that a huge red flag pointing toward his guilt?
                        "Is all that we see or seem
                        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Oh, the "you-did-not-answer-the-question" stuff again. Reeks of Harry!

I offered it up. Tabram died there, and the timings Edward Stow have clocked speak for that route being a quicker one. It is also a route Lechmere would have been more aquainted with, logically, since he grew up closer to it than to Hanbury Street.

Whether the old geezers back in 1888 saw the potential relevance of this or not is neither here nor there, methinks.
                          No it was not that stuff again, i simple wished a reply, which you have now made clear.

It is a modern offering correct?
                          Made because a murder occurred very close to that route, not because any sources suggest such?

Old Montague is indeed faster than the route which uses the whole of Hanbury Street, but not so if the shortcuts are taken at Spelman Street.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            Just how many men do you people out here think had as much reason to visit the murder sites at the relevant hours as Lechmere did?

So Crossmere had reason to visit the murder sites? What would that reason have been?
                            I leave you to figure that out all on your own, Robert. I have high hopes - it is a bit cooler now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                              If he lied about where he worked isn’t that a huge red flag pointing toward his guilt?
                              Yes, I pointed that out to Robert earlier. He hasnīt stopped running from it since, and has professed his sincere belief that Lechmere worked there and nowhere else.
                              Last edited by Fisherman; 06-03-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

No it was not that stuff again, i simple wished a reply, which you have now made clear.

It is a modern offering correct?
                                Made because a murder occurred very close to that route, not because any sources suggest such?

Old Montague is indeed faster than the route which uses the whole of Hanbury Street, but not so if the shortcuts are taken at Spelman Street.

Steve

I donīt know how modern the offering is. I am certain that Derek Osborne and Michael Whatīs-his-name must have pondered it since Tabram died there - it is a very logical thing to do once we realize the power of geographical implications.

Not all of us do.

And yes, it stands to reason that each suspect that is presented will be tested against the geographical evidence. And that is as it should be!

I get the feeling that yu are implying that any suggestion from back then is a more viable suggestion that "modern" suggestions - you see, this is the type of thing that makes me think you are rather heavily biased at times.
                                Last edited by Fisherman; 06-03-2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X