Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CoL Police find photo of graffito? - NOT Goulston St!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

think Mitre Square was City territory ....though i may be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
      Jason,
      Could be Hanbury street ...I think it was '15 More', or was that Berner Street. Can't remember. If it's either, it's no mystery and should be posted.

Mike
      fair point....if its new however then the full facts should be researched before disclosure

Comment

Hi all,
        why is everyone assuming it is pre-Goulston Street, if genuine is it not more likely to be after?

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
          Hi all,
          why is everyone assuming it is pre-Goulston Street, if genuine is it not more likely to be after?
          could work the other way....what if they found writing pre Eddowes murder but didnt have a bloody material beneath it (so they may have dismissed it ?)....only when second writng appeared did they see its possible relationship to the events unfolding .....as i said, just a guess !!

logically though, being photographed at all does suggest post Eddowes....so we shall see....
          Last edited by Jason; 05-10-2012, 05:20 PM. Reason: missed something

Comment

Fair and valid point, lts just that after all the mess the police made of the Goulstone street affair, I feel it likely that any future simular events would be handled with a different aproach. ie. They learnt from past mistakes.

Comment

I would imagine it was after the GSG and that the writing was photographed so as to avert similar criticism to that directed at the washing off of the GSG

Anderson himself may have given the order that any new writing should be photographed

On 19th November 1888 (the day of Kelly's funeral) some chalk writing was made at 13 Newnham St, the home of Albert Bachert

I'd suspected previously that a photograph or at least a sketch was taken at this time because
              a) Bachert would practically insist on it
              b) His mother was reported as only "partially" washing off the writing - why?
              c) The "B" and "R" in the writing were apparently similar to the Dear Boss

It should read...

"Dear Boss, I am still about. Look out. Yours, JACK THE RIPPER"

An accompanying photo could be anything at the moment - I don't want to speculate too much but I'm hoping it is a picture of Bachert or at least his mother or house

Comment

If the graffito was found in the City, Anderson would have had no say in the matter.

Whatever this new find is, it could be pre- or post-Eddowes. The City police wanted to photograph the GSG. Perhaps that was because they had an earlier example with which to compare it. Or, given the treatment of the GSG by the Met, perhaps they wanted to insure the preservation of any later evidence.

Either way, this is a great find.

Comment

already Met

Hello Michael. No, Hanbury was the Met's patch right enough.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

yup

Hello Jason.

"think Mitre Square was City territory"

Correct!

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                      Hello Jason.

"think Mitre Square was City territory"

Correct!

Cheers.
                      LC
                      phew.....thought i had made a school boy error on that one !

Comment

well done

Hello Jason. Nah.

"Trust your instincts, Luke."

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                          Hello Jason. Nah.

"Trust your instincts, Luke."

Cheers.
                          LC
                          i feel the force ....thanks Lynn

Comment

Hi all,
                            I bet that if like me, since this announcement was made, your minds and amaginations have been working overtime.
                            One question springs to mind, I know nothing of Woodgreen police station, but I am surprised that these files were not sifted through years ago in the quest for JTR.
                            Any thoughts?

Regards.

Comment

Sorry..I ment Wood Street police station.

Comment

Let me say I had my information from a City of London Police source who spoke about this freely and didn't tell me it was confidential. In fact he wasn't sure why they were taking so long to release it.

Had I understood respected Ripperologists were researching this I would have kept it to myself. Because I don't believe that anything should be held back about a 124 year old case and because if I have something that may be of interest or help fellow enthusiasts I believe in sharing and not sitting on what I know without being given good reason.

It is ironic that the Police should have insisted on keeping this quiet and then been responsible for it getting out while the historians have kept schtum. Wasn't it always thus?

Apologies to those working hard on researching this exciting find. I didn't intend to steal your thunder. I shall say no more about this until the official release.

I'll get me coat.
                                Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

Working...
                                X