"Myth of Sherlock Holmes as Scientific Detective"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Myth of Sherlock Holmes as Scientific Detective"

From the Strand Magazine, of all places!

The Myth of the ‘Scientific’ Detective: A Dissenting View of Science in the Holmes Stories Early in the first Holmes story, A Study in Scarlet, an admiring Watson, a few hours after observing his friend and roommate examine a crime scene, exclaims, “You have brought detection as near an exact science as it ever will […]

Ran across the link on Twitter, and thought some of our Sherlockian fans would be interested in it.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

As a Homes fan it was a great read, thank you. It makes a good argument, and I must admit as a Holmes reader I got duped along with the many, never stopping to think-through whether the science and forensics actually mattered.

I have one complaint, with the statement:

"Nonsense. Forensic science would have taken exactly the same course if Sherlock Holmes had never been created."

While I agree with him it is too bad he didn't add that it was the Whitechapel Murders that was the true 19th century catalyst for forensics investigation.

CID's 13 week growth in crime scene investigation from Polly Nichols to Mary Kelly was extraordinary; from Polly, were it was a check-off list of everything you shouldn't do with a crime scene and victim, to Mary, and everything you should do with a crime scene.

Possibly I am overstating this, but I feel that Mary Kelly was the first modern (forensic) crime scene investigation.

But again, great read thank you for posting.

Comment

Not a problem, you're welcome. And welcome to Casebook, too!
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Working...
      X