Francis Spurzheim Craig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Francis Spurzheim Craig

Hi.been missing from action for a while (due to illness),back in the saddle, hope everyone is fine.Right the name in the title was the headlines on the MSN page,is this a serious name to consider? I cannot find out a lot about him

Thanks for any help

Originally posted by dixon9 View Post
    Hi.been missing from action for a while (due to illness),back in the saddle, hope everyone is fine.Right the name in the title was the headlines on the MSN page,is this a serious name to consider? I cannot find out a lot about him

Thanks for any help
    Never heard of him.

I hope all is well with your help.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

cheers Gut,here is a small extract from the piece

The body of Jack the Ripper's final victim is set to be exhumed as a new book claims the world's most famous serial killer was her estranged husband.

The Ministry of Justice has indicated it will grant the first ever exhumation licence for the grave of a Ripper victim after examining the new theory, which is serialised exclusively in The Telegraph.

The author, Dr Wynne Weston-Davies, provided the Government with evidence that Mary Jane Kelly, an East End prostitute, was in fact his great aunt, and that her murder was an act of marital vengeance.

He names the Ripper as Francis Spurzheim Craig, who at the time of the murders in 1888 was a 51-year-old reporter covering the police courts and inquests in the East End of London

Comment

cheers Gut,here is a small extract from the piece

The body of Jack the Ripper's final victim is set to be exhumed as a new book claims the world's most famous serial killer was her estranged husband.

The Ministry of Justice has indicated it will grant the first ever exhumation licence for the grave of a Ripper victim after examining the new theory, which is serialised exclusively in The Telegraph.

The author, Dr Wynne Weston-Davies, provided the Government with evidence that Mary Jane Kelly, an East End prostitute, was in fact his great aunt, and that her murder was an act of marital vengeance.

He names the Ripper as Francis Spurzheim Craig, who at the time of the murders in 1888 was a 51-year-old reporter covering the police courts and inquests in the East End of London
        So according to this theory Craig was MJK's hubby?

What is the exhumation supposed to prove.

I am really puzzled.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

i suppose to prove that the MJK was the authors great aunt,but bearing that would have on the case is beyond me.

Here is the rest of the story,not sure wether it will help,sorry if its a bit long

He lived in Mile End Road, Whitechapel, just seven minutes' walk from the first murder scene.

Dr Weston-Davies believes Craig's knowledge of police methods of the day led him to kill four other women as a "cover" for his true intent - to murder his wife who embarrassed him by secretly returning to her life of prostitution just months after they wed in 1885.

The author hopes his theory will be proved, at least partly, by DNA evidence from the exhumation.

He has even located what may be the only surviving image of the face of Jack the Ripper.

A contemporary sketch of the inquest into the murder of the Ripper's earlier victims is thought to show Craig sitting near the front of the court, reporting on a murder he himself had committed.
          "The only way of absolutely proving that the Ripper's final victim was my great aunt is to exhume Mary Jane Kelly's body," said Dr Weston-Davies, a former surgeon.

"We will then attempt to extract DNA from her bones or teeth and compare them with DNA from myself or my brother who, as far as I know, are her only living relatives."

Ministry of Justice officials wrote to Dr Weston-Davies in September last year after considering his research for six months.

His work had required "detailed consideration", they said, before adding that they would be "happy to consider your application for an exhumation licence" providing two simple criteria were met.

He has been asked to provide a letter from a forensics laboratory which is prepared to carry out the DNA testing and - as a final formality - post a public notice on the grave for three months.

The key to unlocking the secret of the Ripper were documents discovered in the National Archives at Kew, south-west London, four years ago.

Dr Weston-Davies proposes in The Real Mary Kelly that the divorce papers showed his family links with Elizabeth Weston Davies, the true identity of Mary Jane Kelly, and Francis Craig.

The author said: "I didn't know more than the average person about Jack the Ripper when I started out researching my family history more than 10 years ago.

The only way of absolutely proving that the Ripper's final victim was my great aunt is to exhume Mary Jane Kelly's body
          Wynne Weston-Davies
          "My father, who died in 1996, always refused to speak about his family, saying they were a 'bad lot'.

"One day in 2011, I was at the National Archives looking for documents and keyed the surname 'Weston Davies' into their database, and one result that popped up was 'Weston Jones'.

"I was about to disregard it but ordered the document out of curiosity.

"When it arrived it consisted of a box of legal documents including a divorce petition and an affidavit."They related to my ancestor who had adopted a false surname - the 'Weston Jones' name - to pose as a widow when she wed, which was common at the time because although she'd never been married she was sexually experienced.

"An extraordinary story started to unfold about a woman marrying a man much older than herself, Francis Craig, and how this a marriage only lasted a few months, and then turned sour."

Dr Weston-Davies went on: "It was several years before I made the connection with Jack the Ripper.

"I ordered Francis Craig's death certificate and then tracked down reports of the inquest into his death.

"It was another bombshell. I realised he had committed suicide by slitting his own throat with a blade, exactly the same way the Ripper's victims had been murdered."

Francis Craig was a down-on-his-luck journalist.

A few years earlier Craig's journalism career suffered an almost terminal blow when, as editor of the Bucks Advertiser he was brutally exposed as a plagiarist by a rival newspaper after stealing reports word-for-word from The Daily Telegraph.

The possibility of seeing the Ripper's face for the first time - in a courtroom sketch - is another tantalising aspect to the new research.

"There's a sketch of a scene from the inquest of Annie Chapman which shows a man sitting on the front bench, the one reserved for the Press.

"I think this is very possibly Francis Craig, and therefore the only surviving image of Jack the Ripper.

"The reporter in the illustration looks very much like Francis's father, who was a well-known phrenologist who moved in the west London bohemian set with William Morris and the like.

"We know Francis was living in the East End, covering the courts and it's very likely he covered the Chapman inquest," said the author.

Followers of the case have long puzzled over why a series of infamous letters which originated the "Jack the Ripper" nickname were sent to the Central News press agency at the Old Bailey rather than a national newspaper, which would have been the most obvious destination to an ordinary member of the public.

Dr Weston-Davies suggests Craig was indeed the author of these "Dear Boss" letters and sending them to a news agency would have been a straightforward choice for him.

As a journalist who sometimes syndicated his own work, Craig knew it was the best way to have their contents sent to every newspaper in the land, further deepening his camouflage as the killer.

Also, the letters used Americanisms and Craig had spent time in the US during his younger years.

Craig was a peculiar man. Reports survive of his odd habits and the author believes he was suffering from schizo-typal personality disorder, or STPD.

"A psychiatrist friend of mine has indicated this is the most likely diagnosis," said Dr Weston-Davies.

Because Elizabeth - or Mary Kelly, as she has been known until now in the vast Ripper archives - was buried in a pauper's grave there are more bureaucratic hurdles to mount before an exhumation can take place.

A notice must be displayed by the grave for three months warning relatives that their loved one's grave may also be disturbed."I understand there have been previous applications to exhume her body and they were all refused," said Dr Weston-Davies.

"I think it is my family connection to her which persuaded the authorities, after months of deliberations.

"I've already obtained an indication from the Ministry of Justice that they are minded to issue an exhumation licence.

"There's a bit more red tape to complete but I believe that exhuming her body will solve the Ripper mystery once and for all.

"I will proceed with the exhumation depending on the reaction to the book.

I realised Francis Craig had slit his own throat with a blade, exactly the same way the Ripper's victims had been murdered

Wynne Weston-Davies
          "If someone can show me clear evidence that Mary Kelly was not Elizabeth then of course there will be little point in proceeding.

"But otherwise I'm hoping we can go ahead and attempt to get the DNA evidence that will prove my theory once and for all."The murders took place three years after the marriage of Craig and Mary Jane/Elizabeth had broken down.

"There is evidence he spent a long time looking for her in the East End, even employing private detectives," said the author.

"His initial aim - to win her back - turned to hatred."

Dr Weston-Davies' book highlights other cases from history when disgruntled men killed innocent strangers in order to obtain revenge on a specific person, usually after being spurned.

It was Craig, the book says, who killed Mary Jane/Elizabeth in November 1888 at her room in Miller's Court, a Whitechapel slum.

After her throat was slit, she suffered heinous disfigurement and - unlike all the other victims - was rendered unrecognisable through terrible facial mutilation.

"He went to great lengths to ensure that her real identity could not be discovered," said Dr Weston-Davies.

"Elizabeth was only known by her pseudonym.
          "He mutilated her face so her friends and family would never know it was her if the police published photographs of her face.

"He did not want her linked to him."

Dr Weston-Davies, who worked as a general surgeon before moving into medical research, said: "Craig also went to great lengths to remove her heart, going for it through the diaphragm.

"The heart was never found despite an extensive search by police who arrived at the murder scene the following morning.

"It's my belief there was a further piece of symbolism in her terrible evisceration.

"She had taken his heart, and now he was stealing hers."

Comment

I would be surprised if an exhumation order would be mode just to prove the body was someone's Great Aunt.
            G U T

Comment

Dr Weston-Davies believes Craig’s knowledge of police methods of the day led him to kill four other women as a “cover” for his true intent - to murder his wife who embarrassed him by secretly returning to her life of prostitution just months after they wed in 1885.
              Nope.

Comment

While it must be only a very remote possibility, it does seem within the realm of possibility that one or more pieces of hair from Kelly’s murderer could be recovered from her body (assuming there is anything left of her body worth examining). Facial hair in particular can be very tough and I’m wondering if something could have gotten mixed into her own hair, or landed on something sticky and become embedded within her remains. I wonder if Dr. Weston-Davies has considered exploring this possibility.
                “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
                http://www.williambury.org

Comment

I wonder if Weston-Davies will open a museum?
                  G U T

Comment

Hi
                    Thank you for posting that I have higlighetd a number of flaws in what this author is basing his theory on

He lived in Mile End Road, Whitechapel, just seven minutes' walk from the first murder scene.

This is an old chestnut which has been thrown up with regards to other possible suspects. But equally as has been stated the killer could have come from outside Whirechapel to kill.

Dr Weston-Davies believes Craig's knowledge of police methods of the day led him to kill four other women as a "cover" for his true intent - to murder his wife who embarrassed him by secretly returning to her life of prostitution just months after they wed in 1885.

What knowledge of police methods could this be an how could it have a bearing on these murders?

The author hopes his theory will be proved, at least partly, by DNA evidence from the exhumation.

He has even located what may be the only surviving image of the face of Jack the Ripper.

The key to unlocking the secret of the Ripper were documents discovered in the National Archives at Kew, south-west London, four years ago.

These should make interesting reading along with his links to the murder

The only way of absolutely proving that the Ripper's final victim was my great aunt is to exhume Mary Jane Kelly's body

This will not prove that her ex was the killer

Dr Weston-Davies went on: "It was several years before I made the connection with Jack the Ripper.

A tenuous connection it would seem?

"I ordered Francis Craig's death certificate and then tracked down reports of the inquest into his death.

"It was another bombshell. I realised he had committed suicide by slitting his own throat with a blade, exactly the same way the Ripper's victims had been murdered."

Nothing unusual about this cutting throats was an accepted method of killing in 1888

The possibility of seeing the Ripper's face for the first time - in a courtroom sketch - is another tantalising aspect to the new research.

Yes if it can be conclusively proven that he was the killer

"We know Francis was living in the East End, covering the courts and it's very likely he covered the Chapman inquest," said the author.

and the point of this statement it ?

Followers of the case have long puzzled over why a series of infamous letters which originated the "Jack the Ripper" nickname were sent to the Central News press agency at the Old Bailey rather than a national newspaper, which would have been the most obvious destination to an ordinary member of the public.

Not if the writer wanted maximum exposure

Dr Weston-Davies suggests Craig was indeed the author of these "Dear Boss" letters and sending them to a news agency would have been a straightforward choice for him.

Even if he were the author would that prove him to be the killer?

Craig was a peculiar man. Reports survive of his odd habits and the author believes he was suffering from schizo-typal personality disorder, or STPD.

Believes or can prove?

"There's a bit more red tape to complete but I believe that exhuming her body will solve the Ripper mystery once and for all.

No it wont all it will do is perhaps positively identify Mary Kelly

"There is evidence he spent a long time looking for her in the East End, even employing private detectives," said the author.

What evidence?

"His initial aim - to win her back - turned to hatred."

Dr Weston-Davies' book highlights other cases from history when disgruntled men killed innocent strangers in order to obtain revenge on a specific person, usually after being spurned.

But did those killers kill victims prior to killing their loved ones in order to make it look like the same killer?

"He went to great lengths to ensure that her real identity could not be discovered," said Dr Weston-Davies.

"Elizabeth was only known by her pseudonym.
                    "He mutilated her face so her friends and family would never know it was her if the police published photographs of her face.

But how would he have known that she hadn't confided in others persons as to her real identity?

"He did not want her linked to him."

How would he have been linked to her. If the police had come knocking all he had to say was that he hadn't seen her for some considerable time

Dr Weston-Davies, who worked as a general surgeon before moving into medical research, said: "Craig also went to great lengths to remove her heart, going for it through the diaphragm.

Well there have been many heated discussions regarding the missing heart. There is much evidence to suggest it was not taken away.

"She had taken his heart, and now he was stealing hers."
                    And what was the excuse for the suggestion that the killer removed the organs from Eddowes and Chapman?

Comment

Hi,
                      There are so many flaws in this theory, as Trevor suggests.
                      Number one, the murdering of four women to hide the fact that Mary Kelly was his real intention..
                      What if he had been caught attempting this? how would he then have despatched his ex?.
                      As Trevor suggests, how would he know that Kelly had not told people in her life, about her elderly husband, and his attitudes. disfiguring her would then not be relevant.
                      Its a good story, and the authors statement , that if the book achieved success, then he would go ahead with exhumation. seems to me a good way of achieving sales.
                      It would, despite all my reservations, not at all surprise me, if it actually proved all of us wrong, because one day some bombshell will happen..
                      Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                        Hi,
                        There are so many flaws in this theory, as Trevor suggests.
                        Number one, the murdering of four women to hide the fact that Mary Kelly was his real intention..
                        What if he had been caught attempting this? how would he then have despatched his ex?.
                        As Trevor suggests, how would he know that Kelly had not told people in her life, about her elderly husband, and his attitudes. disfiguring her would then not be relevant.
                        Its a good story, and the authors statement , that if the book achieved success, then he would go ahead with exhumation. seems to me a good way of achieving sales.
                        It would, despite all my reservations, not at all surprise me, if it actually proved all of us wrong, because one day some bombshell will happen..
                        Regards Richard.
                        Yes but in the mean time we are left with yet another Ripper exclusive for the press to jump on, again misleading the public at large. No doubt a documentary will follow.

Its about time the press and documentary makers stopped trying to tell the public who the killer was and produced a story and a documentary on who it wasnt !!!

Comment

is there any real evidence that he was an ex of MJK?

Comment

I refuse to waste my time on this tripe even if after digging some bodies up (which in my honest opinion I do not think would be allowed) it could be proved that Mr Davies is related to Mary Kelly so what it isn't case closed as is been claimed.What will happen after the first edition of the book is published at 14 quid a pop we will have the revised edition six months later at 14 quid a pop going over the problems of the first one .If I was to comment on this in depth I think I would be banned from this truly brilliant site I don't want that to happen so I will just leave it alone .
                            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

So let me ask this.

If his aunty was MJK and

If she was married to Craig and

If Craig killed himself by cutting his own throat.

What does that prove?

My answer, not a thing.

There is as good of a hypothesis that Craig cut his own throat because of his grief over MJK'S death as any other. Or even simply that it was a. Common form of self harm.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X