X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ripperana

Hi all
    Is Ripperana still going.
    Used to subscribe years ago but a house move combined with a general (temporary ) loss of interest in the case meant not being particularly bothered ,interest rekindled now by a crossword strangely enough but more of that on another thread later.
    Best wishes to all
    You can lead a horse to water.....

Got my new copy last week
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

I used to get free copies until I moved 3 years ago. Haven't seen one since. A lot of people say they subscribe and get issues, yet no one seems able and willing to post subscription details.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Email: warren.nl@sky.com
        or
        ripperana@yahoo.co.uk

or write to 16, Copperfield Way, Pinner, HA5 5RY.

Regards,
        Steve.

Comment

Thanks Steve
          Will send nick a mail and maybe get a few years back copies
          You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            I used to get free copies until I moved 3 years ago. Haven't seen one since. A lot of people say they subscribe and get issues, yet no one seems able and willing to post subscription details.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
            Hello Tom,

You may find a little here:-

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
            Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello all,

Ripperana No.75 January 2011 is a 28 page publication.

Editorial by Nick Warren-
              -Armchair detective
              - "Est Court"
              -The Storming of the Bastille

Peter Underwood
              - Was Crippen Guilty:Should he have hanged?

Derek Osbourne
              - A Last Throw of the Dice.. (an excellent article about Sadler, Coles and Campbell. )

Letters to the Editor "Dear Boss"
              - Question about Tumblety and the pardon of November 1888 by Dr. J.Pope-de-Locksley.- Questions regarding Charles Cross by Derek Osbourne.
              -Cruel and unusual punishments by A.Baron.

News notes
              - Laurie Cunninham-sports writer solves July 1982 murder from the Daily Mail 18th December 2010.
              -Cold Case problems from The Times, 30th March 2010
              -Bernard Davies (1923-2010) from the Daily Telegraph 17th November 2010 and the Times Register 29th October 2010
              - Sidnet Street Seige Slight redressed from the London Evening Standard 17th December 2010 and The Times, same date.

Competition Corner

Picture Desk

best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Thanks for that, Phil. I just e-mailed Nick about getting this issue. Having just read Monty and J.G. Simons' excellent piece on Coles/Sadler in the new issue of Casebook Examiner, I'm curious to see what Ripperana has to say on the same subject.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hello Tom,

Actually, Derek Osbourne's article is brilliant.. its really good and well written too.

best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

I've always enjoyed Derek Osbourne, both in Ripperana and in Ripperologist. It's a shame he doesn't contribute to the Casebook.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hello Tom,

I agree. I was hoping he would be at the conf last year, but if he was, I must have missed him. I am pretty sure he reads the boards though. If you are reading this Derek, please do get in touch? Many thanks.

best wishes

Phil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello all,

Here are the details the latest edition of the Ripperana Quarterly.

Ripperana No.76 April 2011 is a 28 page publication.

Editorial by Nick Warren-
                        - Scotland Yard's "Greatest Manhunt" (October 1992-Novemeber 2009)
                        and a seriously flawed one. Relates to the trial and conviction of Delroy Hunt, cab driver.

News notes

-An Obscure Serial Killer- relates to an article in the Daily Mirror Magazine Dec 2010 by criminologist Professor David Wilson, on his book A History of British Serial Killing, Sphere publishing... and has an interesting piece on Amelia Dyer, who, claims Wilson, "killed 400"...
                        - Cold Case reviews, John Harrison/The Yorkshire Ripper
                        - Pembrokeshire Path Murders from Daily Mail and The Times, 23/3/2011
                        -New Sickert Painting found- "The Blind Sea Captain"
                        -In brief.. private information rec'd- relates to On this day, The Times, February 25, 1820
                        -Executions continue in Usa-Metro, March 11, 2011

From the Archives by Allan Jones

Important arrest, Western Mail 29.10.1888
                        Negatives at Millers Court, The Globe, Canada 12.09.1888
                        The Eerie Mystery, Reign of Terror at Whitechapel, Western Mail 10.9.1888
                        The long career of Dr. Gabe, South Wales Daily News 3.11.1917

The Colour Grey, by Nick Warren

This refers to an admission from Robert Smith, owner of the Maybrick Diary.

What's New?- Journals

"The Invention of Murder" How the Victorians revelled in Death and created Modern Crime by Judith Flanders
                        Harper Press, HB, pp535 with Notes and Bibliography, illustrated, with index, ISBN 978-0-00-724888-9 Price £20

Jack the Ripper: The Definitive Story
                        (Channel 5 documentary; screened on 11 and 20 January 2011)

Here is an independant review of the Documenatry

Time Gentlemen Please by Derek Osbourne

Stop Press

- New York Ripper refers to the recent discoveries in Long Island, and a comparison to JTR and the Whitechapel crimes and victims.
                        - Olive Smelt, early Yorkshire Ripper Victim, dies aged 82
                        -Alliteration Murders DNA CONUNDRUM refers to 4 four women murdered in Northern California between 1977 andd 1994. The Times, 15.4.2011.
                        - The ABC Murders
                        -The Journal of the Whitechapel Society Nr. 37, April 2011
                        -US Ghost Tours

Competition Corner

Picture Desk- Photograph from Ian Forsyth of Prince William St.

best wishes

Phil
                        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Yes, I notice it says that Naso's DNA doesn't match what was recovered in the NY ABC murders. The guy almost has to be a copycat if that's true and there's no error - I mean, what are the odds otherwise?!
                          Last edited by sdreid; 05-13-2011, 01:39 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hello Stan,

A good point indeed.. which has remarkable meanings, IF one wishes to see them in a more convoluted sense, to the series of murders in East London, 1888-1891.

Hope you are well.

best wishes

Phil
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello Phil and the best to you as well. All is good here.

Yes, hopefully we can learn something from cases like this.

Sometimes it turns out that the guy who had to have done it didn't do it. Another example is Arthur Allen in the Zodiac case. It does look like Naso was guilty of the California murders though while Allen was not guilty of any slayings at all.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                              X