Fleshing out Godley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleshing out Godley

George Godley- portrayed in two movies (the Michael Caine miniseries and "From Hell") as Abberline's direct partner who was always with him. That is of course completely inaccurate, though the two men did indeed know each other and were friendly. He is well known as being the one to capture the murderer George Chapman. But does anyone have any other information on this man who's been seemingly selected for eroneous reasons to appear as a movie character? For instance, despite perusing several Ripper books I have never seen a picture of him. Anyone know where one can be found?

Originally posted by kensei View Post
    George Godley- portrayed in two movies (the Michael Caine miniseries and "From Hell") as Abberline's direct partner who was always with him. That is of course completely inaccurate, though the two men did indeed know each other and were friendly. He is well known as being the one to capture the murderer George Chapman. But does anyone have any other information on this man who's been seemingly selected for eroneous reasons to appear as a movie character? For instance, despite perusing several Ripper books I have never seen a picture of him. Anyone know where one can be found?
    There is a photograph of George Godley in the Jack the Ripper A-Z. Are you actually a Ripperologist and don't have this basic reference work?

Comment

Gideon-

This will not be an answer you expected. I actually thank you for jogging my memory. Now that you mention it I do remember seeing that picture. The reason it slipped my mind is because I bought "Jack the Ripper A to Z" off of Ebay but only got to peruse it for a few hours because the same day it arrived in the mail I had my car broken into and a duffel bag containing the book (along with about forty dollars cash) was stolen. I'm shopping for another copy, and I don't think the picture of Godley even really imprinted on my memory. Meanwhile, does anyone have any interesting info on Godley's life?

Comment

Hello Kensei

Below is cut and paste from the Casebooks "police officials" menu on the left of the screen : If you have a look there you will see a photo of Godley.

Born : October 31st 1856, East Grinstead, Sussex. 1877 : Joined the Metropolitan Police, warrant number 61230. Before joining the police he worked as a sawyer.

1888 : By the time of time of the ripper murders he was a Sergeant in J Division (Bethnal Green).

1903 : Arrested George Chapman.

1908 : Retired with the rank of Inspector.

1941 : Jul 20 - Died.

When Godley arrested George Chapman the then retired Inspector Abberline is reputed to have said "You have caught Jack the Ripper at last" or words to that effect

Comment

Hello Jon,

I am remiss- I tend to spend all my time here on the boards and hardly any perusing the left hand menu.

So-- perhaps Robbie Coltraine was not such a bad choice for portraying Godley (sans moustache though). Lewis Collins, the actor playing him in the Michael Caine version, seemed a bit too skinny.

Comment

Sgt. George Godley

Hello. I'm Andrew Godly, and great grandson of Godley. For some reason, his son had the name, George Albert Godly, (no "E")
            I do have his retirement clock from J division, and the name there was still weith the "E"

I do know my family have other photos of Sgt. Godley.

I would also appreciate if anyone knows of other family members.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to Casebook.

Any information about your great grandfather would be warmly received, especially your family's photographs.

Also, is it possible for you to post a photograph of his retirement clock?

Kind regards,

Simon
              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

where did Godley go too?

I have been interested in the ripper for many years now as has my mum. she was telling me about Sgt Godley. she was under the impression that he retired to the east end of newcastle (a place called Walker). when i talked to her about it she said it may be because she was young at the time and they said that he lived in the eastend. because we come from newcastle she automatically thought of the east end of newcastle and not london.. does anyone know where he ended his days.. . did he live up in newcastle??? it would be great if he did.. one thing she did say. she remembers his living relatives saying that special branch went through their house with a fine tooth comb when he died and took away documents... its a bit odd.

hopefully you can all help

regards

Leighton Young

Comment

Working...
                X