• Show
Clear All

• i can literally see my flat!

Comment

• I see London, I see... Ken

Originally posted by ken View Post
      i can literally see my flat!
      Hi, Ken; so can we.

...Would you like to buy the photo back from us?

I say Silverstealth ought to be the photographer for Google Earth- think of all the money we'd save on satellites!

Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by ken View Post
        i can literally see my flat!
        Put some clothes on, will ya.

Comment

• Local History Documentary: "A Village On A Street"

I found a really wonderful free online documentary that I thought you might enjoy.

It's called The Lambeth Estate: A Village On A Street.
          It's a locally-made in-depth history of one street in one neighborhood in London, from Roman times to the present day. The street is Roupell Street in Lambeth, Waterloo. Great video; no fluff & no pretensions; just lots of interesting solid information & oral history from eye-witnesses & local historians. (45 min. long/ 2005.)

Some of the topics discussed are Roman times, the first circus (Astley's Equestrian), the Old Vic, William Blake's actual "Satanic Mill", the building of the houses in the 1700's, bridge-building, life during the Victorian period (illustrated w/ fabulous old photos!), the history of local shops & businesses like The King's Arm's Pub, the neighborhood dairy, WWI & WWII, post-war changes, filming 'Upstairs Downstairs', old neighborhood traditions (like regularly scouring the sidewalk to keep it spic & span), & interior details of the old houses.

Long-term residents talk about the old days & compare them to modern times.
          (One great old lady explains why not having indoor plumbing is "good for you"! )

Hope you like it. Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
            I found a really wonderful free online documentary that I thought you might enjoy.

It's called The Lambeth Estate: A Village On A Street.
            It's a locally-made in-depth history of one street in one neighborhood in London, from Roman times to the present day. The street is Roupell Street in Lambeth, Waterloo. Great video; no fluff & no pretensions; just lots of interesting solid information & oral history from eye-witnesses & local historians. (45 min. long/ 2005.)
            Thanks for finding that, Archaic. A most enjoyable watch. What I find interesting is that the peoples of the low class areas sarghhf/sarf of the river (Bermondsey and Lambeth) were basically the same as Cockneys who were only supposed to exist north of the river in the East End. Check out Liza of Lambeth (1901?) for speech patterns or The Hooligan Nights (1899)

allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• The Old Neighborhood

Hi, Stephen; glad you liked the film.
              Wouldn't it be cool if more residents of old neighborhoods could get together & make a simple documentary to preserve some of their oral history?

My parents are from New York, and my Dad's Mother, Aunt, and 4 brothers & sisters all lived in a very short 1-block radius of where they were born. (I used to joke that my Dad was the only one who ever got off the block!) Most of the neighbors were the same, & when I was little & we were there for a visit I used to listen to their stories about the old days. All the people and all the shops seemed to have nick-names, as in that Lambeth video where "the Kings Arms Pub" is always referred to as "Boncy's"... I love that!
              Now most of my cousins still live in the same neighborhood, many in the same houses as their parents.

My Dad also told me that as a boy, you could never get away with any even slightly bad behavior, because everyone knew everyone, and some neighbor was bound to see you do it and tell your Mother! lol

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                Did you get your camera from MI5 or what?
                Some of us would still like to know the answer to this, silverstealth. I assume that you use a tripod for the night shots and, perhaps, some of the interiors, but what make of camera and what kind of lens(es) do you use? Your photos really are quite remarkable.

Comment

• I've not contributed any images to this thread for a while so I just picked up the nearest few photos/postcards I've bought recently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	657207
                  Aldgate Bus Station, circa 1960. The buildings to the right are still there, looking much the same. This was taken with the photographer's back to Aldgate tube station, looking south near the Minories. I better practice what I preach, so there is a stamp on the back saying 'Copyright C Carter'.

Name:	02.jpg
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	657208
                  An unknown East End Street decked out for George V's Jubilee in 1935.

Name:	03.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	657209
                  Card from The Battle of Stepney. It was posted on 11 January 1911, so not long after the event.

Name:	04.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	657210
                  Dunno where that is.

Name:	05.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	657211
                  And a nice rare thing particularly suitable at the moment with the new series of CASUALTY 1909. The card's undated but it's clearly from that time, so here's the real ladies at the London Hospital!

PHILIP
                  Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Good fing there Archaic loved the Lambeth bit

Excellent pics Frip- Ive got a couple of good uns but can't post here so will be on Forums under Suzi Individual
                    Suzi x
                    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• A few screencaps from the film "The Small World of Sammy Lee" 1963

Whitechapel Underground Station

Name:	The Small World of Sammy Lee 01.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	657213

The Grave Maurice

Name:	The Small World of Sammy Lee 02.jpg
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	657214

Wentworth Street from Middlesex Street

Name:	The Small World of Sammy Lee 03.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	657215

and Goulston Street/Wentworth Street corner

Name:	The Small World of Sammy Lee 04.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	657216

The film is mostly set in Soho and there are some great tracking shots of the area as it was in 1963

Rob

Comment

• Superb pics Rob! Love the third one with the chap and a handful of pinny looking for a suitable doorway!!!! xxxxxx (Or is it a horse's skull?)

He would have done it a few streets earlier.... 'cept that guy with his eye on him followed him and stayed in the background- although he's pretending to look at the pigeons as they pass in that screen shot!!!!
                        Last edited by Suzi; 06-21-2009, 10:58 PM.
                        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• It was quite funny Suzi, as the bloke in the 3rd screen cap, was walking towards the camera saw it and then started moving one way and then another to get out of the way.

Rob

Comment

• Very evocative screen captures there, Rob. I did have a favourite, but it seems to have slipped my mind....it was right on the tip of my tongue....nope, it's gone.

Comment

• No idea what your on about GM

One of my favourite photos. From The Siege of Sidney Street

Name:	Sidney Street 1911cb.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	657219

and these are the Schiemann family who lived at 100 Sidney Street

Name:	Sidney Street 1911Schiemann family who lived at 100 Sidney Street cb.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	657220

Rob

Comment

• LVP Photo Book To Peruse Online

Here's a link to a terrific book available for "Preview" on Google Books, "Victorian London In Historic Photographs"
                                by John Thomson & Adolphe Smith, 1994.

It contains 37 photographs by John Thomson, with detailed text describing "London Nomades", cabmen, dustmen, laborers, street musicians, shoe-blacks, etc. The quality of the photos is impressive.

*Page 5 has a wonderful photo of a Victorian Hansom Cab.

Glad you guys like the Lambeth film... Does anybody on Casebook live there? I'd love to know. Lambeth ROCKS!
                                Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Working...
                                X