View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 04:37 AM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
Well spotted, Charlie.
Many of the murders did occur when it was/or had been raining.

My guess is, rather than he preferred warm weather, was that the rain kept people off the streets. The killer could also move around the streets in a hat and overcoat, which may have been necessary in remaining unrecognised, keeping blood off him, and concealing a knife.

Indeed, when he was been driven to the McKenzie murder scene, Dr Phillips noted how empty the streets were.
There are a couple of variable at play here.

Of course it seems that being a bank holiday or the weekend certainly helped, and I'm tempted to make the usual jokes about it being rainy because of the bank holiday, as some function of sod's law.

But actually, thinking it through -- could it be tied, at least somewhat, to the availability of victims? I'm not entirely sure.

What I mean is -- could there simply have been a lot more prostitutes about in the warmer summer months?

Could they have been less thick on the ground in the winter months where doing trade outdoors would be less appealing?

There would be the year round demand for the business - but maybe victims are just thinner on the ground in the winter? I'm not really sure how much of a deterrent cold weather might be.

And I like your observations about the wardrobe possibilities -- but my gut would be that the killer was more free and able to commit murders on weekends. And the rain may have been entirely coincidental.

Of course I guess I could read through weather reports if any existed for the summers of 1888 and 1889 and see if more clement weekends were skipped out or if there was any pattern there.

Anyway, cheers Jon! You're my first reply on the message boards!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote