Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What mystery will be solved next in 2016?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What mystery will be solved next in 2016?

The abduction/murder of Jacob Wetterling has been solved, Lori Ruff's real identity has been discovered, they could be closing in on Ben Needham's remains, and there's talk of the Somerton Man being identified at long last.

What other mysteries do you expect to see solved this year?

Thank you for using the phrase "Somerton Man", Harry, I was able to find a very thorough article on this case (and some odd deaths that may also be related) at Wikipedia. I think the espionage angle seems likely, but there is not enough to go on, really-- yet. I knew of the "man on the beach in Australia" case from information here, but this article is very informative.

As for mysteries that we'd like to see solved-- what happened to Ambrose Bierce?
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

2016 is almost over. There may not be enough time to solve anything complex.

Comment

Ben Needham

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
          2016 is almost over.
          What?! It's only September. Give us a break!
          This is simply my opinion

Comment

The identity of Pierre.

Comment

This one?

A man in his 70s has been arrested on suspicion of murdering schoolgirl Elsie Frost in Wakefield more than 50 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                I have heard a little about this case, but not much. Why did the judge "instruct" the jury to find the first suspect not guilty? Was the case against him so bad that they that instead of declaring a mistrial?
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

To be honest PCDunn I'd not heard of this case before I saw the article (mind you I'd not heard of some of Harry D's ones either) but according to this article;

It is fifty years since the brutal murder of teenager Elsie Frost, and still no-one has been convicted. But a new investigation led by her sister and brother is giving hope where police have failed.

"A 33-year-old local labourer called Ian Bernard Spencer was eventually named during the inquest as Elsie’s killer, the coroner using legal powers that have since been abolished. However, when the case reached criminal court it was immediately thrown out for a lack of evidence."

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                    I have heard a little about this case, but not much. Why did the judge "instruct" the jury to find the first suspect not guilty? Was the case against him so bad that they that instead of declaring a mistrial?
                    Terrible story, actually. The man who was accused was a witness at her inquest. Back then an inquest could actually accuse a person of murder and recommend them for trial, which is what happened...from what I gather, this was purely down to a few witnesses thinking that they might have seen him in the area that the murder took place. Witnesses who gave him an alibi (and there were quite a few, again from memory), were never called. The judge threw it out because there was literally not a shred of evidence against the man. I think a magistrates court had already found that there was no case to answer, but I have no idea why the whole farce carried on.

IIRC correctly, even Elsie's mother gave a statement to the press after the (non) trial, saying that she was relieved that the whole ordeal was over for him, because not even her family thought that he was guilty of anything.

There have been a few mad conspiracy theories about this case over the years, and the man who was accused was dogged by it for his whole life. I believe that he has dementia now, or possibly had a stroke.

The man who has been arrested for Elsie's murder is a child killer of such notoriety that he has been in secure mental health accommodation since the 70's. If he was responsible, I'd like to think that he will just admit it and let her brother and sister put it behind them. He's in his 80's, he's never getting out...hopefully they will be able to close the chapter on this now.

Comment

Originally posted by louisa View Post
                      What?! It's only September. Give us a break!
                      I know, right?

The body of Erica Parsons, a 13 year-old girl who disappeared in 2011, has been found. In her short but tragic life, the girl had been given up at birth and was abused by her adoptive parents, who didn't report her missing for two years whilst continuing to claim her as a dependent for tax purposes. The pair of them are already serving jail time for committing fraud and can now look forward to a murder charge on top of it.

Comment

Well, earlier in September (before I began my enforced hiatus due to a broken computer) the New York Times reported the sunken wreck of the HMS Terror was located off King William Island in Northern Canada. With the discovery of HMS Erebus's wreck two years ago that is part of a long standing mystery that has been solved. Now if they only found Sir John Franklin's grave.

Maybe there is still the chance for the RMS Waratah.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                          The identity of Pierre.
                          Darn. I was hoping this one would be solved.

Comment

Working...
                          X