This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badminton, Anyone?

I wish we could rent the Abbey Mills Pumping Station for a cocktail party; that place is so cool it's almost surreal.

Rob, I'm curious about your pub called "Crown and Shuttle"- is that a reference to the game of Badminton,
    or to something else?
    The little thing you bat around in Badminton is usually called either the 'shuttle' or the 'shuttlecock', and the top part, that would have had feathers in the LVP, was called the 'crown'. (Ha ha; the built-in naughty word remover didn't like that 2nd Badminton term; you may have to use your imagination to fill in the asteriks!)

If that's really what it refers to, it seems an odd name for a pub, but I suppose there was a time when Badminton was trendy & exciting.

Thanks, Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
      I'm curious about your pub called "Crown and Shuttle"
      Even G.J. Monson-Fitzjohn can't help me out with this one, but I'd say that the "shuttle" part was much more likely to be alluding to weaving than badminton...

Regards,

Mark

Comment

• Wonderful 'corner of the road' Truman shots there Rob!

Love the Wellclose Sq pic too- Great posing!

Suz xx
        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by robhouse View Post
          Hi Rob C,

More excellent photos. This is my favorite thread, and East london in the late 19th early 20th century is just so atmospheric, and beautiful. What I wouldnt give to be able to walk down streets like the one in this shot of Orchard Place Poplar. No movie could ever recreate it.

Rob H
          Have to be carefull where you step though

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
          Rob, I'm curious about your pub called "Crown and Shuttle"- is that a reference to the game of Badminton,
          or to something else?
          The little thing you bat around in Badminton is usually called either the 'shuttle' or the 'shuttlecock', and the top part, that would have had feathers in the LVP, was called the 'crown'. (Ha ha; the built-in naughty word remover didn't like that 2nd Badminton term; you may have to use your imagination to fill in the asteriks!)

If that's really what it refers to, it seems an odd name for a pub, but I suppose there was a time when Badminton was trendy & exciting.

Thanks, Archaic
          I think Mark is right and that Shuttle is weaving term. Crown might be as well. The pub was in easy walking distance of Spitalfields.

Rob

Comment

• Right chaps !!

Have done some 'ferreting' and have found out that 'The Crown and Shuttle' at 226 Shoreditch High Street was named after the Huguenot weavers use of such things in their weaving trade.

Also-over the bridge allegedly is a lane called Fleur de Lys St - another link to that Huguenot inheritance
            Suz xx

Following that- have further ferreted that- 'The Crown' was a term for the density of the weave -and also for the long, heavier downward,long threads- before the shuttle drew the lighter,interweaving threads across to provide the weft, thus weaving the substance of the cloth.

Sorted!!!

Good 'eh!
            Last edited by Suzi; 06-24-2009, 12:31 AM.
            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Thanks Suzi, I knew you had your uses

Fleur De Lis Street is just across the road and is where the Commercial Street Police Station is.

Rob

Comment

• Crown and Shuttle (pointed building extreme right) from Fleur De Lis Street.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crown and Shuttle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	657251

Rob

Comment

• Thanks, everyone, and good work Suzi! Weaving terms make much more sense- it didn't really seem like the kind of neighborhood to be gripped by a Badminton craze. I knew the word 'shuttle' was a weaving term, but don't recall ever hearing 'crown' used as such.

However, I will now be prepared should the origin of Crown & Shuttle ever be a 'Final Jeopardy' question.

And Suzi, I'm glad you enjoyed the 'Nazi Ballet Lambeth Walk' video. Apparently when the Nazi hierarchy saw it they were outraged- maybe that's the real reason they bombed Lambeth?
                  I hope Hitler saw it. I think the Allies' great sense of humor actually helped us win the war.
                  Maybe Al Qaeda could learn the Lambeth Walk, too.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by robhouse View Post
                    Hi Silverstealth,

Great photos. Do you mind if I ask what camera you are using. The colors and detail are excellent.

Rob H
                    Hi Rob I use a canon 5d mk11 with a 16-35mm lens. I then use camera raw to tweak the levels..

Comment

• Originally posted by silverstealth View Post
                      I use a canon 5d mk11
                      Yipes. So there's no shortage of cash 'round your house, then.
                      Seriously, though, thanks for the info, sil. Obviously an excellent piece of equipment, but you still can't buy a talented photographer's eye.

(I seem to be on a rhyming jag tonight, so I think I'll go write a hit song.)

Comment

• Not wishing to sound like Prince Charles but I cant help notice how boring new buildings looked after the LVP.

Comment

• Three fotos

Wideawake Spitalfields Market

Name:	wideawake irfan.jpg
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	657252

Beigel shop Brick Lane

Name:	beigel irfan.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	657253

Goulston Street

Name:	table irfan.jpg
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	657254

all the best

Observer

Comment

• Gotta have a death wish to wanna sit at that table. What the... o_O

Nice photos though, mate!

Comment

• Hi Mas

Hehe quite. The table and chairs were being used my some sort of market traders commitee. See one of them is fond of the odd can of Fosters lager.

all the best

Observer

Comment

• Goebbels Hates Musicals!

'1942 Lambeth Walk' Update for Suzi: I was curious to know how the Nazi leaders responded to their 'Ballet' newsreel.

Joseph Goebbels, the creepy little prat who was Nazi Minister of Propaganda, was so incensed by it that he ran out of the screening room kicking over chairs & screaming profanities!

Yup, Britain's got talent. Even before the war, the Nazi's hated the Lambeth Walk & dismissed it as crude
                                "animalistic hopping." *If any one knows what Hitler's personal reaction was, please let me know. Regards, Archaic

Comment

Working...
                                X