Old 03-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
If my reading of Woffinden is correct he has the sequence as follows:
1. Hanratty signs the note;
2. Photographs are taken of Hanratty;
3. Gillbanks is sent to Rhyl.

This makes more sense to me, as Gillbanks would need the photos when he made enquiries. It means that he came across Ingledene quite quickly, but all he needed to do was find a guest house with a green bath and a co-operative landlady.

In section 186 of the Appeal, the defence complains that information the prosecution obtained about the Liverpool-Rhyl bus timing was not disclosed. If the 1962 defence team had been investigating for a week they would have found out information like this themselves.
That is the impression I get from reading Woffinden's account, but Foot at page 220 writes:

"The first document mentioning the Rhyl alibi in the defence papers is one of the many hurried scrawls written, literally on the back of an envelope, by someone in Mr Kleinman's office. It is dated January 26th -- that is the Friday of the first week of the trial:
'Gillbanks phoned...have traced people H stayed with in Rhyl.He stayed with man referred to as John, who is in fact Terry Evans and who has an old taxi. H stayed overnight and stole a pair of shoes. Evans has never seen him since.'
"

Then the note goes on:
'There is such a cafe as described...Hundreds of bed and breakfast houses which back on railway station and which have no front gardens."
So, if Foot is right about the note, Gillbanks was looking for B & Bs in Rhyl as early as January 26th. I can't believe that Foot has imagined this note, and I can't understand why Woffinden doesn't include it in what purports to be a comprehensive narrative.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote