Kosminski/Kaminsky - please debunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kosminski/Kaminsky - please debunk

Hi all. It's been many years since I've posted here.

I was just curious about the Kaminsky/Kosminski theory that was put forward by (I believe?) Martin Fido.

At the time when I read this I found it quite compelling. I admit it was somewhat convoluted but I found it satisfying.

As we know there are plenty of police, press and inquest reports from the period and since full of spelling errors to names and full of misinformation and factual errors. The idea that Macnaghten got the name of his suspect wrong makes some sense to me. His claims that Kaminsky has also at Colney Hatch but WAS actually violent could again suggest an error being made between him and the Kosminski "harmless imbecile".

Anyway, I don't have that book anymore and I can't remember all the facets of that theory but I'm not as naive as I once was and was wondering if maybe somebody could refresh my memory about what that theory entailed but more specifically - what was wrong with it? Was it too speculative? Was it too convoluted? Were there genuine factual errors made by Fido that shot the credibility of the entire theory?

Like I said, at the time for me it made some sense and explained some of my issues with the Kosminski suspect but wondered what the general consensus is on it and why it's seems to be dismissed so readily as a theory?

Many thanks. Chris.

Hi Chris.

Martin Fido has been on record for some time as now considering the Nathan Kaminsky element of his Kozminski hypothesis "a bridge too many". He has said that is purely speculative that Kozminski and Kaminsky were mixed as names and Kaminsky only shows up coincidentally as someone of the right age, right nationality and right occupation. He believes it best to put Kaminsky aside and focus on Cohen and Kosminski being confused with one another by Swanson.
    Fido says pretty much all of the above in an old Rippercast episode called 'The Police, the Jews and Jack the Ripper'.

Welcome back to the boards.

JM

Comment

From some admittedly limited online research on both names show "Kaminsky" is a significantly more popular name than "Kosminski" which is a fairly rare name.

I would think this suggests a policeman booking someone called "Kosminski" under the name "Kaminsky" a realistic possibility, conversely I think the idea that senior officers transposing the popular "Kaminsky" into "Kosminski" less probable.
      My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Very good point, Dave. Makes perfect sense to me.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Great. Thanks a lot guys. Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
            He believes it best to put Kaminsky aside and focus on Cohen and Kosminski being confused with one another by Swanson.

JM
            I thought the theory was that David Cohen was Kaminsky? How else would Swanson have confused the names? Cohen does match the man Swanson perhaps more than Kozminsky?

Comment

You say kaminsky, I say Kosminsky...let’s cohen the whole thing off!

In other words it’s a convoluted mess.
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                You say kaminsky, I say Kosminsky...let’s cohen the whole thing off!

In other words it’s a convoluted mess.

How long have you been waiting to use that?! Brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Xoferbean01 View Post

How long have you been waiting to use that?! Brilliant.
                  Just thought of it actually, but thanks! Ha
                  "Is all that we see or seem
                  but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                  quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

There is not enough evidence by any stretch of the imagination to say David Cohen was Kosminski.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                      There is not enough evidence by any stretch of the imagination to say David Cohen was Kosminski.
                      By Kozminsky you mean Swanson's man or Nathan Kaminsky as Fido suggested. Why did Fido believe he was?

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                        By Kozminsky you mean Swanson's man or Nathan Kaminsky as Fido suggested. Why did Fido believe he was?
                        David Cohen may be both, either or neither as the case may be.

Comment

Really there is nothing to suggest David Cohen was anyone other than David Cohen, the whole "John Doe" theory pretty much falls apart with the name being later given as "Aaron Davis Cohen".

Given that "S" is next to "D" on a typewriter keyboard "Davis" is more than likely a typo for "David".
                          My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

What is the deal with David Cohen and the women from the brothel? http://www.casebook.org/forum/messages/4922/7522.html

Comment

“KEEPING A BROTHEL IN WHITECHAPEL
                              Gertrude Smith, a well-dressed middle-aged woman of 254 High-street (sic-Whitechapel Road), Whitechapel, surrendered to answer a charge preferred against her by Mr. Metcalf, vestry clerk of St. Mary, Whitechapel, on behalf of the overseers of the parish, for unlawfully keeping her house as a brothel. Uriah Harvey, who was specially engaged by the vestry of Whitechapel, owing to gross immorality taking place in certain houses, to keep a watch, gave evidence of the number of both sexes which entered and left the defendant’s house. On Saturday night, the 24th November, ten men and as many well-known prostitutes infesting the neighbourhood entered and left defendant’s house; Sunday, the 25th, twelve couples; Monday, the 26th, three couples; Saturday, December 1st, eighteen couples. It was ostensibly a cigar shop, and when the parties entered, the defendant was at the door letting them in. When Inspector Ferris (sic - Metropolitan Police Inspector Arthur Ferrett) entered, he found two well-known prostitutes in bed. In answer to Mr Lushington, Inspector Ferris said there had been no complaints of disturbances or robberies at defendant’s house. Mr Lushington convicted the defendant in taking part in keeping a brothel and fined her £10 and £5 costs, or one month. The money was paid.”

-Reynolds Newspaper 9 December 1888

Comment

Working...
                              X