X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
    Cubitt,

Since nobody who actually knows anything seems to be around at the moment, I'll answer this for you. The alleyway behind the car park has no name at all at the moment. In 1904, the name of the street that formerly existed there was changed from Dorset to Duval. People on these boards often use either name, as the mood strikes them. You can read more of the street's history here.
    Many thanks Grave Maurice, is appreciated. I'm still fairly new to this site so should spend more time looking at the other sections before firing off questions to all and sundry.

Thanks again.

Comment

• M & P,

See what Ive marked in yellow on Observers photo? Thats the original 'footprint' for the passage. Note how narrow it was.

Monty
      Attached Files
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• So Jack followed the Yellow Brick line?

It is eerie, can't wait to be there again in Oct!
        Regards Mike

Comment

• Monty, I had always thought that too, but it appears not to be the case. If you look at the old photos of Church Passage you'll see that same 'line' between the flagstones almost a foot from the northern side.

Observer - dare I point out that your Chamber Street photo doesn't show Swallow Gardens? It was a little off the right-hand edge.

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Some more oldies I acquired recently..

Interior of 56 Artillery Lane, 1908.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ArtilleryLane56 1908.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	655959

Interior of 56 Artillery Lane after a devastating fire, 1972.

Name:	ArtilleryLane fire 1972.jpg
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	655961

Corner of Artillery Lane and Gun Street, 1983 - in glorious technicolour.

Name:	ArtilleryLane 1983.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	655960

Comment

• The tabarnacle above the door on the interior post fire photo is beautiful!
              Regards Mike

Comment

• 56 & 58 Artillery Lane, 1967.

Name:	ArtilleryLane 1967.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	655962

These lovely frontages have been inder cover for quite a while now, but they've recently been uncovered and have had a bit of a spruce-up. And very nice they look too.

Comment

• A rarity - Dorset/Duval Street, 1964. Spitalfields Fruit Exchange almost out of shot to the left, White's Row to the right. Commercial Street in the background.

Dorset Street? What Dorset Street?

Name:	DuvalStreet 1964.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	655963

Comment

• I found an article a while ago written by an elderly gent who'd emigrated to Canada in the thirties and who's grandparents ownded the bakery at 56 Artillery Lane several decades ago when he was a kiddy.

I can't remember if I found it through google or you lot, but I bookmarked it, so here it is (again, maybe).

http://www.senioryears.com/jack.html
                    Last edited by Cubitt; 02-16-2009, 07:06 PM. Reason: additional

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                      M & P,

See what Ive marked in yellow on Observers photo? Thats the original 'footprint' for the passage. Note how narrow it was.

Monty
                      Gawd it was wasn't it!!!! a serious RAT (Cat) run though wasn't it- and that's before you got the 'er populace involved!!!!!
                      Last edited by Suzi; 02-16-2009, 07:05 PM.
                      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• That 'interior ' shot is seriously spooky- wish I was back at work (Lie!) so I could print that little beauty off!! Blimey wonder where the fire came from....and from whom????? Ooooh Captain Shaw!.....

Comment

• Blooming 'eck!!! That's it bit odd John!!!! (re the 'rarity!)-The Dorset St Dribblers 'v' the Artillery Lane Ass*****- must have won 10-0 that day!! Hmmmmmmm...............odd pic though- despite the !!
                          Last edited by Suzi; 02-16-2009, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Ah - he shares it now!

In case anyone hadn't sussed, if you look at the White's Row picture you will notice a building in the middle with a white bottom floor and one big window either side of the door. That's 8 White's Row of Annie Millwood and Frances Coles fame.

PHILIP
                            Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• This is my best guesstimate for the width of Church Passage. Jake would probably be better at it though.

Name:	Mitre Square.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	655964

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                                A rarity - Dorset/Duval Street, 1964. Spitalfields Fruit Exchange almost out of shot to the left, White's Row to the right. Commercial Street in the background.

[/ATTACH]
                                Looks the ideal place to build a car park.

Are you sure it's 1964?

I thought that the south side of Duval/Dorset Street was still there then.
                                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                                X