Jack The Ripper Handcuffs Go On Sale in Global Bidding War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack The Ripper Handcuffs Go On Sale in Global Bidding War

Handcuffs, whistle and truncheon connected to the notorious Jack the Ripper serial murder case are expected to reach a record price.

"Handcuffs, whistle and truncheon connected to the notorious Jack the Ripper serial murder case are expected to reach a record price at auction.

The shackles belonged to a Victorian policeman who found the killer's fourth victim Catherine Eddowes several minutes after he killed her in 1888.

Other items are also going under the hammer for the first time, including PC Edward Watkins' truncheon, whistle and cover from his notebook.

The unnamed seller's grandfather, who had them for more than three generations, bought the items from the policeman's family.

Auctioneer Jonathan Humbert believes that the lots will sell for up to £800 each.

"It is chilling to think these very items may have physically been only yards from Jack the Ripper and played such an integral role in one of the most fascinating unresolved crimes of all time," he told the BBC.

"Ripper items are rarer than rare by their very nature and I have no doubt these will really capture the public imagination around the world."...
    Last edited by Beowulf; 12-03-2014, 10:06 AM. Reason: add photo

Pity the notebook wasn't included in the cover, that would make the item doubly attractive. Nice collection though.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
      http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/jack-ripper...ng-war-1477327

"Handcuffs, whistle and truncheon connected to the notorious Jack the Ripper serial murder case are expected to reach a record price at auction.

The shackles belonged to a Victorian policeman who found the killer's fourth victim Catherine Eddowes several minutes after he killed her in 1888.

Other items are also going under the hammer for the first time, including PC Edward Watkins' truncheon, whistle and cover from his notebook.

The unnamed seller's grandfather, who had them for more than three generations, bought the items from the policeman's family.

Auctioneer Jonathan Humbert believes that the lots will sell for up to £800 each.

"It is chilling to think these very items may have physically been only yards from Jack the Ripper and played such an integral role in one of the most fascinating unresolved crimes of all time," he told the BBC.

"Ripper items are rarer than rare by their very nature and I have no doubt these will really capture the public imagination around the world."...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty certain handcuffs weren't individual in 1888?

The City Police didn't use whistles in 1888?

Surely he'd have had more than one PNB cover during his career?

Wasn't Watkin's sacked? Either way all these things would surely have been handed back in when he left the force (except an old PNB cover, I don't think they'd have wanted that back)?

Comment

Working...
      X